Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: car question

Reviews

im a manual man all the way . You cant beat being able to gear down to zip past a boy racer noise toy. And besides any time top gear tested automatics , clarkson was always complaining about time lag on gearboxs and that was on really expensive motors.

Quote Originally Posted by An don View Post
    im a manual man all the way . You cant beat being able to gear down to zip past a boy racer noise toy. And besides any time top gear tested automatics , clarkson was always complaining about time lag on gearboxs and that was on really expensive motors.
    it all to do with control. Manual box is not only good for getting around little boy racers quick but when it comes to stoping its funny to see the face on a fella driving a GlanzaV when he is stuck on your bumper and you out brake him into a bend in a 307 1.6hdi

Reviews

If manuals are so good then explain why Fi cars are automatic, almost every supercar is automatic, AMG Mercs, M5 BMWs, almost everything over 40 grand, Range Rovers. Almost every performance car is automatic, even the grand daddy of them all the Bugatti Veyron!

Quote... "it all to do with control. Manual box is not only good for getting around little boy racers...." What a moronic statement! 307 1.6hdi ....... out brake into a bend ....... Take you on any day in my automatic...

Reviews

This thread is beginning to show what children some men can be, I have a manual Honda Accord and that whizzes around the place and I have to keep it in a lower gear to keep within the speed limits and I can be a bit of a child too, especially on the M50, how I haven't been photographed yet, I don't know, watch out for those Gatso white vans, they're the ones that get you. But I started off by saying how it can show the child off in us, but you have to realise, speed KILLS and you'll never forgive yourself if you caused the deaths of some family in another car and survived yourself.

Once a prick - always a prick.

Formula 1 cars do not have automatic gearboxes. They have automated gearboxes. These are different technologies.

Blog Entries

Not sure if this is still the case but it certainly was at one time. In Ireland if you do and pass your test in an automatic car you only have a full licence for an automatic car,. You would have to do the test again to get a full licence for a manual car. Nobody is going to bother doing the test twice so people stuck with the manuals............
    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

it would be a semi-automatic that is in some cars over 40k the driver has nearly full control over what gear and when.

Semi-automatic transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Automatic transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Manual transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by johnmurphy View Post
    Formula 1 cars do not have automatic gearboxes. They have automated gearboxes. These are different technologies.
    Explain that one if you can!!! Its utter crap.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by up for it View Post
    it would be a semi-automatic that is in some cars over 40k the driver has nearly full control over what gear and when.

All of which will have a fully automatic facility built in
    Last edited by Monkeynut; 26-06-10 at 17:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeynut View Post
    Explain that one if you can!!! Its utter crap.
    The gearboxes of modern Formula One cars are now highly automated with drivers selecting gears via paddles fitted behind the steering wheel. The 'sequential' gearboxes used are very similar in principle to those of motorbikes, allowing gear changes to be made far faster than with the traditional ‘H’ gate selector, with the gearbox selectors operated electrically. Despite such high levels of technology, fully automatic transmission systems, and gearbox-related wizardry such as launch control, are illegal - a measure designed to keep costs down and place more emphasis on driver skill. Transmissions - most teams run seven-speed units - bolt directly to the back of the engine.

From the rules of Formula 1 racing. Give me a shout if you need the link.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to johnmurphy For This Useful Post:

up for it (26-06-10)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast