Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin McGuinness has died

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by alcatel View Post
    Arising from the alienation of the nationalist community due to the actions of the unionist regime in the late 1960s,early seventies, gerrymandered politics, nationalists denied housing in certain areas or jobs in certain companies, civil rights marches beaten off the streets, B specials, continuation of what had happened in the '20s and earlier.
    The biggest recruiting sergeant for the Pira at the time, was the actions of unionists/loyalists in power at the time.
    Unionist "alienation", settler/colonist and "siege '' mentality goes back a long way, to the (sometimes inflated) race memory of 1641 and earlier.
    It is easy to judge the actions of others from a distance in time and place, without fully recognising the powerful currents and momentum of the past, that can sweep people along.
    Well put Alcatel, it's easy to judge others when you weren't living here at the time.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by drbagehot View Post
    I think he was one of those people who were infused with the poisonous atmosphere in the North to do things he would never had done in a normal society. That doesn't forgive the many, many crimes (and we should not forget that many of these would be considered war crimes that would have McGuinness in front of a few Hague judges).

Why anyone has to kill or die for the colour of a flag or an imaginary line on a map is beyond me. I find that irrational.
    Well put, I often wondered what my attitude would have been if I grew up on the Bogside or the Falls Road, but I didn't, I grew up in a quite town hundreds of miles away. History will remember him for taking a giant leap forward and bringing peace to northern Ireland, but that can never absolve him from the atrocities carried out by him and his colleagues. He did own up to a certain extent, which is more than can be said for those who committed atrocities on the other side.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    Well put Alcatel, it's easy to judge others when you weren't living here at the time.
    I await the Dear John perspective ;-)
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Shalom/salaam.
    10,000 years of Middle Eastern civilisation and the place is not at peace but rather in pieces.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alcatel For This Useful Post:

Barney Rubble (21-03-17), IrishSarahBarra (21-03-17)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by drbagehot View Post
    I've always said that if I lived in Derry in 1969 I would probably have followed a violent path. I was a hothead young fella. It was a poisonous place. But there is a difference between understanding a context, and using that context to justify actions. I do understand the context, but ultimately what he was part of was unjustifiable and it's right and proper to judge him from a distance.
    And into that mix you need to put the IRA, INLA, UDA, UVF, Red Hand commando, the NI government 1922/1972,successive British governments, the pull of history and the deeply ingrained prejudices and fears of ordinary people and you will be getting near the complete recipe.
    Shalom/salaam.
    10,000 years of Middle Eastern civilisation and the place is not at peace but rather in pieces.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alcatel For This Useful Post:

Barney Rubble (21-03-17), blue rebel (21-03-17), Wolverine (21-03-17)

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    Just after hearing the news about Martin McGuinness' passing, may he rest in peace. I know that many will not see him as a hero (including many dissident republicans) I personally regard him as a great man who turned his back on violence to follow a peaceful route to politician.
    RIP
    I was here through the troubles in Derry and if your idea of a great man was one that had lots of blood on his hands and was responsible for the deaths of innocent people, whos comrades bombed pubs which killed many innocent mothers, fathers and children and anyone who thinks he is a great man for that is a very warped person.
    The bombs and bullets were not having an effect here or in mainland Britain and people were getting fed up with it all so they had no other option but to try the ballot box.
    It was their last hope
    He mellowed in his old age but he was one ruthless and cunning man who I had no time for
    Last edited by TheKnight; 21-03-17 at 09:26.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheKnight For This Useful Post:

TonyStark (28-03-17)

Quote Originally Posted by annabel taylor View Post
    A hero... Some people forget what northern ireland was for catholics back then. He went from bullets to ballot box
    He only ever want peace and united ireland
    Hero lmao he was no hero.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DearJohn1 For This Useful Post:

TonyStark (28-03-17)

Quote Originally Posted by FredLopez View Post
    such as silly statement, Anyone that was involved in murder is not a hero, Tell that to the McConville family and may other innocent people caught up in this stupid conflict.
    The reason they decided to try the ballot box was because the bullets were not working . I am a nationalist but lets be honest here
    Correct and well said. Maybe if she grew up during the 70's she would know better.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DearJohn1 For This Useful Post:

TonyStark (28-03-17)

Quote Originally Posted by alcatel View Post
    I await the Dear John perspective ;-)
    Hi rip, Nice to see you back.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by DearJohn1 View Post
    Hi rip, Nice to see you back.

Thanks, you're such a nice guy
    Shalom/salaam.

Reviews

John Hume is a Hero, Marty was a bit of a gobshite but I liked him when he finished his day job so RIP anyway Marty old son and dont be fighting and starting it all up again with Big Ian down there.

Last edited by meatloaf2; 21-03-17 at 09:43.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to meatloaf2 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast