Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: False Rape Accusations

Default False Rape Accusations

What are your views on False Rape Accusations?

We have all heard stories about people who have been falsely accused of raping somebody that they haven't done, 1 case we recently heard was Chad Evans, and there are many other cases where people have been sent to prison for a crime that they have been wrongly accused of also.
    Sometimes in cases such as, it can lead to people giving death threats, forcing that person to move elsewhere, end careers, destroying families and not only that, it can even lead to suicides.

In my views, those who are found a making a false rape accusation should be sent to prison for the same term that the other person would have been given for rape.

Do you agree?
    If not, what do you think should happen?

I came across ablog which you may find interesting:
    http://ncfm.org/2014/07/news/discrim...e-accusations/

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Floki For This Useful Post:

Helen21 (04-11-16), Irish Leigha (04-11-16), Patt113 (05-11-16), SophieX (04-11-16)

Reviews

And kneecappings and tar and featherings and public shamings in newspapers.... er wait?
    Last edited by SteveB; 04-11-16 at 15:18. Reason: Already in Sinn Féin manifesto

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Floki View Post
    What are your views on False Rape Accusations?

We have all heard stories about people who have been falsely accused of raping somebody that they haven't done, 1 case we recently heard was Chad Evans, and there are many other cases where people have been sent to prison for a crime that they have been wrongly accused of also.
    Sometimes in cases such as, it can lead to people giving death threats, forcing that person to move elsewhere, end careers, destroying families and not only that, it can even lead to suicides.

In my views, those who are found a making a false rape accusation should be sent to prison for the same term that the other person would have been given for rape.

Do you agree?
    If not, what do you think should happen?

I came across ablog which you may find interesting:
    http://ncfm.org/2014/07/news/discrim...e-accusations/

An extension of that, since I think most reasonable people would agree with you... Should the accused be allowed to remain anonymous until proven guilty, given that just the act of pointing the finger can ruin someones life?
    Last edited by FatBastard; 04-11-16 at 15:20.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FatBastard For This Useful Post:

Floki (04-11-16), gonzo76 (04-11-16), SteveB (04-11-16)

Reviews

Contentious issue.
    On the one hand, naming can cause other genuine victims to come forward.
    On the other hand, it can effectively cause a feeding frenzy of false allegations.
    Remember Cliff Richard...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteveB For This Useful Post:

Floki (04-11-16), gonzo76 (04-11-16)

Reviews

The old saying "there's no smoke without fire".
    Just because someone is in the public eye they should be the same as everyone else - innocent until proven guilty. The case of an appeal and acquittal is different but if someone is guilty of a false accusation they should suffer the consequences.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Contentious issue.
    On the one hand, naming can cause other genuine victims to come forward.
    On the other hand, it can effectively cause a feeding frenzy of false allegations.
    Remember Cliff Richard...
    Unfortunately I have seen up close the damage a false claim similar to the OP can cause. There's few other accusations you can make that can fuck someone up so, so much. Even when the accuser crumbled under cross-examination and admitted it was all bullshit (the alleged story made no sense from the start, and the PPS should never have pushed it) it still hangs like a dark cloud over the person in question.

He was named in the paper the day after he was lifted, there never was a follow up article after the court case 2 years later, and 10 years on there's still the whispers of "no smoke without fire." He will never get away from it.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    The old saying "there's no smoke without fire".
    There it is, I started typing out my last post before I saw this, but this is why false accusations are so dangerous. In the case I was talking about it was BS from the start, and admitted as lies in court under cross examination that it was in revenge for some perceived slight and when it got out of hand they were scared to retract it.

But the court of public opinion doesn't care about facts. Just being accused make you guilty, and leaves you tainted for life.
    Last edited by FatBastard; 04-11-16 at 15:40.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FatBastard For This Useful Post:

gonzo76 (04-11-16)

Blog Entries

I don't think they should get the same sentence as a rapist, after all what they have done is tell porkies, not rape someone, but yes they should be taken to court and they should have a sentence which befits falsely setting someone up and wasting police time.

Crying wolf on rape is one of the reasons why many who are raped don't get a fair hearing and it is wrong to falsely accuse anyone of anything that could get them a prison sentence. I really don't think that it can be seen as the same as rape itself and also you must consider that in some cases where a lady has been raped she might see justice and then could be accused of crying wolf where it was not true and they simply didn't have enough evidence to see it through.

Many people (men and women) do not come forward when they have been raped and to put such a harsh sentence on false accusations could mean even less come forward, in fear of not having only been raped but then finding themselves in a position where they are being sentenced for taking it to court.

If only we had a perfect system that didn't make mistakes and then this might be a fair way forward.

Do I think they should be named? No not prior to being charged, but once charged yes. I know they say that naming them means others may come forward, but I think they can be tried for other cases after having one conviction, so I don't see why they can't do that instead?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

Cassandra (04-11-16)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Curvaceous Kate View Post
    Do I think they should be named? No not prior to being charged, but once charged yes.
    That's how it happened in the case I'm familiar with. Just a few lines in the paper that he was charged. Nothing when he was cleared. The fact it was all admitted lies means nothing since, like Barney says, no smoke without fire (even when the fire was admitted lies in court no less) but he has to live with the whispers forever. Can never go back to his old career either. All off the back of somebodies petty revenge getting out of hand, helped by a feminazi policewoman with an axe to grind.

Even if the lair got locked up for a few years, it doesn't take away the damage they done.

As it is perverting the course of justice, yes, bang them up.

However, there is a difference between a false rape accusation, and an accusation that doesn't meet the legal threshold for guilt. We shouldn't get confused that as soon as there is a not guilty verdict, there will be immediate arrest of the accuser, that is just daft. However, if said accuser gets rumbled telling her mate that she will ruin this guys life, then that is different.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Ward For This Useful Post:

Floki (04-11-16)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast