Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comic Book Films: Who played it better?

Default Comic Book Films: Who played it better?

This one is for all of the comic book geeks and nerds on the forums (I'm guessing it will be more than just myself and LDM sitting in a thread?)

Given the revelation of who is to play Batman in the new film (see thread here for more information), I thought it would be a good chance for us to talk about who played it better. Then I got thinking...

We've had many different actors and actresses for many different comic book adaptations, each (like their superhero counterparts) with their strengths and weakness. So, who did it better? Here are some to get the ball rolling.

Many people have played Batman over the years: Kevin Conroy, Christian Bale, George Clooney, Val Kilmer, Michael Keaton, Adam West, Bob Lowrey, Lewis Wilson to name just a few. They have all played quite different version of the Dark Knight. I think my favourite would have to be Michael Keaton, followed by Kevin Conroy and Adam West. Three very different choices, I know, but Adam West was pure comedy genius with his, and it was a lot of fun. I would say George Clooney was the worst, though that could be because of the Batman and Robin film... that totally doesn't exist in my mind.

Continuing on the theme, we have here The Joker. One of the greatest villains of all time, and a truly terrifying character when played correctly. The most popular seems to be Heath Ledger, though he is not my favourite. Don't get me wrong, I think he did a good job, he just didn't portray The Joker for me. Jack Nicolson managed to get across the sadistic comedy of the Joker, and he is my number two choice. Number one? Mark Hamill, who is the voice actor of our Clown Prince of Crime in B:TAS and the Arkham games. He does a great job, and is my favourite. (For those wondering why the name rings a bell... Luke Skywalker anyone?)

Sticking with DC for a moment, let's have a look at Catwoman. There are various Catwomen in the franchise, with Michelle Pfeiffer, Anne Hathaway, and Halle Berry playing her (to name a few). Most would agree that Halle Berry's film wasn't that great, which leaves Michelle Pfeiffer and Anne Hathaway. I think I prefer Anne to Michelle, because she seemed to do well playing the part of the very talented liar.

Moving on to Marvel, we have Sabertooth (can never figure out how to spell it). We didn't see a lot from him in the first X:Men film, and he was quickly wiped out and spoke very little. Then we have Liev playing him and it was a character with a voice. There isn't really much to judge on here, as the two were so different I don't think it can be compared (though I did like the Origins Sabertooth, minus the cheesy lines).

There are tons of others that I could get into, but that's for you folks to decide. Do you agree or disagree? Tell me why.
    Last edited by lara; 23-08-13 at 15:07.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lara Mills For This Useful Post:

Best Before (24-08-13), earlyriser (26-08-13), fun loving male (27-08-13), ladiesman217 (23-08-13), Morpheus (23-08-13), NoBrain2 (23-08-13), very shy guy (23-08-13)

Reviews

Batman: Personally I think Michael Keaton is a tool. As for everyone else before Batman Begins, absolutely horrendous (George Clooney, christ what a disaster of a movie!). Christian Bale: he was good, but he seemed to have a different Batman voice for every movie and sometimes would even change it in movie "where's the trigger?!". Kevin Conroy IS BATMAN (vocally).

Joker: Jack Nicholas was very good as the Joker. But.. he just didn't seem sadistic enough to me as the Joker should be. Heath Ledger on the other hand was sadistic, however he didn't get down the comic side of the Joker. The Joker's laugh is.... almost like his trademark. Oh and similarly to Conroy, Mark Hamill IS JOKER (vocally).

Catwoman: Not even gonna talk about any of them cos they were all horrendous until Anne Hathaway in TDKR. I thought she was outstanding.

Sabertooth: as you say can't really be compared but I also think that Liev Schreiber was very good.
    Last edited by ladiesman217; 23-08-13 at 20:26. Reason: Mark Hamill
    ladiesman217: April 2009 to April 2024

Goodbye

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ladiesman217 For This Useful Post:

Best Before (24-08-13), earlyriser (26-08-13), mer (23-08-13), Morpheus (23-08-13)

Reviews

I was surprised by Anne Hathaway, thought she did a great job, when i heard she would be playing the part i was sceptical but she proved me wrong

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NoBrain2 For This Useful Post:

Morpheus (23-08-13)

Reviews

You seem to have DC covered fairly well,agree with you on Adam Lara,remember folks its mostly cgi now,nothing like that back in his day,what about Marvel,has Jackman made the role of wolverine his own ?,the same for Robert D. J. as Iron Man ?,is Chris Helmsworth Thor,could someone else be better ?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by very shy guy View Post
    You seem to have DC covered fairly well,agree with you on Adam Lara,remember folks its mostly cgi now,nothing like that back in his day,what about Marvel,has Jackman made the role of wolverine his own ?,the same for Robert D. J. as Iron Man ?,is Chris Helmsworth Thor,could someone else be better ?
    RDJ is Iron Man. No denying that. I think Jackman is good as wolverine. Still waiting for the yellow spandex though! As for Hemsworth and Thor.... honestly I'm not sure.

Goodbye

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ladiesman217 View Post
    RDJ is Iron Man. No denying that. I think Jackman is good as wolverine. Still waiting for the yellow spandex though! As for Hemsworth and Thor.... honestly I'm not sure.
    Would your man out of True blood,the northman as he is refered to ,would he have made a better Thor ?.

Quote Originally Posted by ladiesman217 View Post
    I loved it in the first X:Men film when he complains about the outfit and someone says something like "What would you prefer, yellow spandex?". I laughed for a long time

Ahhh, RDJ.... he isn't Iron Man. I don't get it when people say he plays the best Tony Stark/Iron Man. I mean, come on, he gets paid to basically play himself, but using a different name and a shiny suit. That's it.

He's amazing, though

The best thing out of the Thor films is Loki. What a badass he is! At San Diego Comic Con this year, he actually introduced the new trailer for Thor 2 in full costume and character... squee!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lara Mills For This Useful Post:

Best Before (24-08-13), Cassandra (24-08-13), earlyriser (26-08-13)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lara View Post
    I loved it in the first X:Men film when he complains about the outfit and someone says something like "What would you prefer, yellow spandex?". I laughed for a long time

Ahhh, RDJ.... he isn't Iron Man. I don't get it when people say he plays the best Tony Stark/Iron Man. I mean, come on, he gets paid to basically play himself, but using a different name and a shiny suit. That's it.

He's amazing, though

The best thing out of the Thor films is Loki. What a badass he is! At San Diego Comic Con this year, he actually introduced the new trailer for Thor 2 in full costume and character... squee!

That was how Tony Stark was in the early comic books Lara,just as RDJ is,as for Loki,meeeh,not that impressed with the god of mischief at all,sorry.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by very shy guy View Post
    That was how Tony Stark was in the early comic books Lara,just as RDJ is,as for Loki,meeeh,not that impressed with the god of mischief at all,sorry.
    TOOL!!!!!

Tom Hiddleston is freaking amazing as Loki!

Goodbye

The hulk / bruce banner seems to change with every new movie
    Eric Bana "Hulk" 2003
    Edward Norton "the incredible hulk" 2008
    Mark Ruffulo "the avengers" 2012
    My person favourite was Ruffulo, but none can top the original played by Bill Bixby in the TV series
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” - Oscar Wilde

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Best Before For This Useful Post:

earlyriser (26-08-13)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast