Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Journalist Killed in NI violence . Shot dead .

Exclamation Journalist Killed in NI violence . Shot dead .

29-year-old journalist Lyra McKee shot dead in Northern Ireland violence

(CNN) - Authorities in Northern Ireland have appealed for calm after 29-year-old journalist Lyra McKee was shot dead in what police are calling a "terrorist incident."

Dissident republicans are believed to be responsible for the death of McKee, who was shot during violent unrest in the Creggan area of Londonderry Thursday night, according to police. Images from the scene showed cars alight as a crowd threw fireworks and petrol bombs at emergency vehicles. “

The city -- which is referred to by pro-Irish nationalists as Derry and pro-British unionists as Londonderry -- is a short drive from the border with the Republic of Ireland.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/19/asia/...ntl/index.html

Bad Old Days coming back ?
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

ORDINARYJOE (19-04-19), Punter08 (19-04-19), TonyB (19-04-19)

My father has told me a few stories in which people were asked to caused as distraction certain areas certain to cause the attention of the police so that the UDA, UVF or whichever organisation was around that needed to do a shooting.
    This would happen a lot in the 70's and from what the story tells, maybe the old days are returning.
    Last edited by Floki; 19-04-19 at 09:45.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Floki For This Useful Post:

Punter08 (19-04-19)

Reviews

Be a sad day if it is

Reviews

Sadly it looks like we are on the verge of a return to the troubles.

What were the PSNI thinking of going in searching for arms in the evening. Would have been far more intelligent to go in at 6am in the morning.

With no devolved govt and the constant ignorant comments coming from senior UK politicians in London they are once again alienating certain sections of the community and their are dissidents just ready to take advantage of this.

The only thing that seems guaranteed from a hard brexit is a return of the troubles and I hope I'm wrong. Noone that lived through them wants to experience them again.

Reviews

Fuck that shit, a young woman's life ended so tragically.

Don't know what these thugs are trying to achieve - nobody wants that shite happening again.

And they are playing into the DUP's hands with these actions.
    Hello darkness my old friend.....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Barney Rubble For This Useful Post:

Punter08 (19-04-19)

Reviews

Not the start of anything. Just more of the same. Dissidents have been causing trouble for a long time and carrying out reckless shootings. It is just they rarely kill anyone. Unfortunately, if she had not been a journalist, it would have been forgotten by now.

Reviews

Yet another family will carry this sorrow unnecessarily for years, all their lifetime it will be there.
    Those of us who were close (thank God not very) to what happened have to explain to those who were to young what happened and shout NO.
    The one voice of sanity, right from the beginning was JOHN HUME. Unfortunatly illness means he cannot speak.
    But all of us in whatever way we can must SHOUT not again

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldfool For This Useful Post:

homealone1 (19-04-19), Punter08 (19-04-19), Stephanie (19-04-19)

Quote Originally Posted by badmick View Post
    Cannot understand how anyone would start a thread on any forum about such a sad event without commisurating with the family of the deceased and condemming the violence that caused this unfortunate act. We all need to stand together in condemming such acts and help by giving any information and suspicions to relevant authorities. We do not want a return to those unfortunate years and we should take the chance to condem such acts forcefully and also for anyone who is in a position as such to put pressure on authorities to get back to some sort of government. Every time some sort of violence rears its ugly head we should condem not highlight it for some particular reason .
    Tsk tsk tsk !

How very Dare CNN report objectively - without subjective personal comment ! - on such tragedy !

How very Dare they !!
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Punter08 (19-04-19)

R.I.P. A terrible tragedy and now a family have to deal with the death of a family member over Easter.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Punter08 For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (19-04-19)

Quote Originally Posted by homealone1 View Post
    Sadly it looks like we are on the verge of a return to the troubles.

What were the PSNI thinking of going in searching for arms in the evening. Would have been far more intelligent to go in at 6am in the morning.

With no devolved govt and the constant ignorant comments coming from senior UK politicians in London they are once again alienating certain sections of the community and their are dissidents just ready to take advantage of this.

The only thing that seems guaranteed from a hard brexit is a return of the troubles and I hope I'm wrong. Noone that lived through them wants to experience them again.
    The police cant do wrong for doing right. Maybe they only got the information about the weapons in the evening and thats why they went in. The police can go in at anytime of the day tbf. No go areas should be a thing of the past according to the Good Friday Agreement yet despite this punishment beatings by terrorists organizations have went up not down. Bombings still happen, pipe bombs still happen, punishment beatings still happen, racketeering still happens etc etc

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Punter08 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast