Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sex work akin to selling organs

Language can be used to make something sound completely different to how it is.

If sex work is "selling your body" or "selling your organs", then is a one night stand "loaning your body"? Is getting married "contracting your body"?

People can make anything sound the way they want it to ound

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dob View Post
    Where do these nutty ideas come from?

How do argue with people with such views?

Totally illogical attitude.
    But they are illogical? The very concept of criminalising the whole thing is illogical. Where will the policing come from? FFS legalise it and get taxes.

Westside.

Quote Originally Posted by saoirsemac View Post
    The person believes both are as dangerous as we risk violence and rape (ive had more black eyes sprained fingers working in a health care)

This person sees these risk the same as selling ur organs where in ireland one in five surgeries result in infections nd in some hosiptals 1 in 6 have mrsa

Another note on health very few die of cancer they die of medical complications etc
    Saoirse I DO hope you have not been letting clients cut off bits of body to keep as souvenirs?

...no, seriously, this argument is like some of the crazy evangelical arguments I have heard may favourite being:

"Homosexuality must be a sin because God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah"...

...which clearly suggests the Almighty has no problem WHATSOEVER with gang rape...

I was treated violently exactly once...by a guy who was not a client before and never showed up as a client again...my guess (and I was there) is he was literally looking for an excuse to be violent to someone, and if there was no such thing as sex work would have gone looking somewhere else.

All through my broken leg etc I see notices all over hospitals warning people not to be violent to staff...they aren't just putting those up there to stop the walls looking boring...same with dental surgeries...

Seems to me ANYWHERE there is an element of physical contact to break down inhibitions there is WAY TOO MUCH VIOLENCE...why single out sex workers?

Why can't people put the SAME energy into campaigning against all forms of violence against people at work?

Selling organs...that's a tough one, isn't it? If selling a kidney keeps a roof over your kids' heads would you do it?

You probably should...

If it pays off your college loan...you probably need your head examined.

Maybe the purchase of organs SHOULD be criminalised...BUT...here is a teaser for you...

For loads of reasons nobody can do anything about I don't have much future or much to look forward to now...things could get very hard soon financially too...

SUPPOSING a really nice, elderly couple come to me and ask me for one of my kidneys for their daughter, who has three young children, a husband who loves her and a great career but cannot live much longer without a transplant. Supposing they offer me €20,000 because they know I am in trouble and it seems too much to ask without giving something in return...

What is right and what is wrong then?

Seems to me right and wrong could be very, very simple.

You make sure people have full, factual, information...as much of it as possible, then, as long as they are not abusing or coercing anyone you let them make their own choices based on their own needs, limits and circumstances.

Criminalising the sale of organs may lift the burden of having to sell a kidney off a desperate young Dad somewhere in the world, but it will never lift the burden of watching his kids suffer and go hungry.
    Last edited by LaBelleThatcher; 14-08-13 at 10:19.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LaBelleThatcher For This Useful Post:

Nicole (14-08-13)

I think it all boils down to be able to have choice.
    If person wants to sell organ ; kidneys etc then that is their choice.
    If woman wants to work as sex worker or what ever job she wants to do then that is her choice.

People should have a choice to do what their want with their bodies.

I think there is no point in comparing sex work and selling organs.

x

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicole For This Useful Post:

LaBelleThatcher (14-08-13)

A thought just occurred to me...

Is this sudden upsurge of telling other people how to live their lives with a special focus on controlling how they make tough choices that harm no-one, to coincide with world wide recession a way of tapping into people's need (as long as they are safe) to kid themselves that some kind of ideal world is just a heartbeat away?

"If we stop people buying sex everyone will have loads of career choices and enough money to live on"

"If we stop people buying organs we will end hunger in the third world"

"If we stop welfare we will have full employment" (a UK Tory special that).

...or course it is all bolax...the only way you stop a problem is to stop the problem, not stop the solutions, however drastic they may seem to be if you do not have the problem...yet...
    Last edited by LaBelleThatcher; 14-08-13 at 10:52.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LaBelleThatcher For This Useful Post:

Nicole (14-08-13)

Talking

a note of violence

i had some issues last year and i had to contact the garda, whom btw where utterly fantastic, and caught the culprits also

but she asked me do u not fear getting hurt or attacks, when i explain i had few incidents where i feared id even come to harm only 2 serious where i was left with visable marks, both incidents i fought them off, but i honestly had worse injurys working elsewhere and to a point mental suffered more,

what was funny she was sat with a broken arm, broken while trying arrest someone

the whole idealism if u allow one thing it will be a free for all, but u disallow one thing, where will nanny stating stop?

the whole notion of others telling u what you can and cant do with your body is silly, walk a mile in someone shoes you will see a new side,

btw, the person told me sweden works, he read the statics, etc, that its reduced,

of course my counter agruement was, internet has changed and become more hidden, plus there no huge impact on figures

and few actual trafficking arrests too busy chasing clients, they told me thats nonsense how would i know, because they know because they read it in the paper, bless there cotton socks

i also noted most reasearch is only carried out at trama centres, and sorry go to trama centre ur going to find victims

but what about the rest of working away, hey there days i hate my job, but who doesnt but thats more my phone i hate my phone, the traveling, timewasters, the actual act ive never had issue with it and can say hand on heart ive enjoyed most meetings, ive had worst dates for free anyway
    but the days im in a i hate this shit mood, been my own boss i have a duvet and movie day few jobs offer that golden nugget eh

its scary when this is what we are dealing with,

i brought up the use of aborted feotuses in stem cell research, he agrees, i find that ironic
    Last edited by saoirsemac; 14-08-13 at 11:00.
    ********************THE WHORIN AND TOURING NEWS************************
    no more news thats all folks, it was a pleasure

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    I think it all boils down to be able to have choice.
    If person wants to sell organ ; kidneys etc then that is their choice.
    If woman wants to work as sex worker or what ever job she wants to do then that is her choice.

People should have a choice to do what their want with their bodies.

I think there is no point in comparing sex work and selling organs.

x
    Maybe so but in the cultured society we live in people get labelled. The person who gives their orgins are a hero while the sex worker is a villian. Its a stupid comparison but you can come up with others and my point will remain.

Westside.
    Last edited by Westsidex; 14-08-13 at 13:00.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12