Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Household tax

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by bumleg View Post
    That figure is set to rise substantially over the next few years.
    Very substantially.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    In the UK the tennant pays Council Tax when they are resident in a furnished dwelling. If it is not furnished or habitable, you do not have to pay.
    Does this still apply if the tenant thrashes the furniture?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
    This "I'm not paying" carry on is ridiculous. Regardless of how we might feel about it, who has to pay it, how it's structured or when it's due, an act of parliament says we must pay it. That means it's illegal under Irish law to not pay it. If April 1st comes around and you haven't paid then you've committed a crime.
    The household charge is a Statute, otherwise known as an Act of Government, and only carries the force of law upon you if you consent to it. This means that you are legally obliged to pay it if you register. If you don't consent and don't register a Statute cannot affect you in any way whatsoever.
    If you register for this "charge" you are consenting to this statute i.e.: signing the contract. This is why the Government are ASKING the people to register and not just billing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bumleg For This Useful Post:

experiencedguy (28-03-12)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uisce Beatha View Post
    Does this still apply if the tenant thrashes the furniture?
    I'm not sure lol, but I don't think I will put it to the test.

It sounds to me like the logical answer would be to phase the payments in gradually. Ie anyone who bought previously to 2012 pay a nominal amount, as they have already contributed and make it compulsary for any new property sales that do not include the tax that you paid initially. I assume that the tax you paid is no longer in existance with this new policy?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

Uisce Beatha (28-03-12)

Reviews

I'm not sure lol, but I don't think I will put it to the test.

It sounds to me like the logical answer would be to phase the payments in gradually. Ie anyone who bought previously to 2012 pay a nominal amount, as they have already contributed and make it compulsary for any new property sales that do not include the tax that you paid initially. I assume that the tax you paid is no longer in existance with this new policy?
    The previous tax is stamp duty, a one off tax on official documents which is still in existence. A similar tax was one of the reasons why the American colonists rebelled against England from 1776.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uisce Beatha View Post
    The previous tax is stamp duty, a one off tax on official documents which is still in existence. A similar tax was one of the reasons why the American colonists rebelled against England from 1776.
    Yikes and you're not known for sitting down and doing nothing are you. Can someone give me the nod when it all kicks off and I'll make sure I'm back in the UK lol.

Seriously though, it is unfair to tax you twice. It should be either a one off tax or a rolling tax, but not both.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

Uisce Beatha (28-03-12)

Reviews

Yikes and you're not known for sitting down and doing nothing are you. Can someone give me the nod when it all kicks off and I'll make sure I'm back in the UK lol.

Seriously though, it is unfair to tax you twice. It should be either a one off tax or a rolling tax, but not both.

Excuse me Kate, I am well known for sitting back and doing nothing!!! Why, I've a good mind to stand up and...... nah, forget it!

This country is awash with stealth taxes and levies and is fast creating a society where the working poor are bearing the burden.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uisce Beatha For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (28-03-12), UKHeather (28-03-12)

In the UK the tennant pays Council Tax when they are resident in a furnished dwelling. If it is not furnished or habitable, you do not have to pay.
    The tenant can be responsible for the council tax whether they rent the property as furnished or unfurnished. It depends what is on the agreement. Usually an assured shorthold tenancy, the most common, state that the council tax and all utilities are payable by the tenant. Sometimes a tenancy agreement will state that the rent is to include council tax, but the landlord sets the rent to cover this cost.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to UKHeather For This Useful Post:

Uisce Beatha (28-03-12)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UKHeather View Post
    The tenant can be responsible for the council tax whether they rent the property as furnished or unfurnished. It depends what is on the agreement. Usually an assured shorthold tenancy, the most common, state that the council tax and all utilities are payable by the tenant. Sometimes a tenancy agreement will state that the rent is to include council tax, but the landlord sets the rent to cover this cost.
    No sorry I didn't make myself clear. I mean it the place is not habitable, ie you have no contents of your own in it, then you do not have to pay. I discovered this recently, as I was paying for the apartment I was renting, as I thought I was obligated to until the end of the contract, despite having moved all my stuff out. When I called them up to tell them I was no longer the tenant, we got into conversation and the chap told me that I could get back pay, as I was not actually living there and had not been for 3 months. I guess who ever is resident in the property pays it and if no one is resident it does not have to be paid, at least that is what he implied to me.

Reviews

€100 ya right ...unless they can provide the local services I require(ie the ones offered on here) I won't be paying it anytime soon.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast