Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Irish Sporting Moments.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup View Post
    Possibly yes, but i think italia 90 may win it. Our first world cup and to get to the last eight was brilliant acheivement , o learys goal and a nation holds its breath. Dont know what the 5 moments will be but maybe italia 90, houghtons goal 94, michelle smith 96, ken doherty 97. What else do u think.
    Actuallly if they are going with just one sporting moment per sport per decade, Houghton`s goal in 1994 might not even be included on the list, as I`m sure the penalty shootout in 1990 is certain to be there. As I stated in my post last night, 5 moments per decade to choose from are far too few. IMO there should be 10-12 on the list.
    Last edited by westcorklad; 10-11-17 at 19:53.
    The Truth is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by blue rebel View Post
    They won a match they should have lost Eng, drew a match they should have won Russia, and lost a match they should have drawn Holland..

And the killing thing is that both Russia and Holland got to the final..
    That performance against USSR was one of the best by an Irish team at a finals tournie but we still only managed the draw. That Wim Kieft goal against Holland though was offside too

Reviews

A lot of football moments, I thought a good bit about this, and this has to be my favourite irish sporting memory, Ginger McLoughlins try against England in 1982. We beat the old enemy in Twickers, ended up winning the Triple Crown, but the try itself is pure magic, check out the passing on the way in, and the way he was driven over the line, and after that, the sight of the well to do Micks with their fur coats and big cigars, a magic moment if ever there was one.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cortez For This Useful Post:

blue rebel (16-11-17)

Reviews

well its nominated anyway. The 5 moments are italia 90 shoot out, sonia o sullivans world gold, michael carruths olympic gold, clares 95 all ireland win and houghtons goal against italy. Who will win it?
    I would say the shootout as the whole country was glued to that...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to blue rebel For This Useful Post:

Reviews

Yes i would agree with you.
    I remember it well as we took half day from work , went to pub and got langers drunk that night at 9pm and was dying sick at work following day..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to blue rebel For This Useful Post:

Reviews

The penalty shoot out wins it. Intersting that the 3 panel members went for sonia as their best moment. I think rog was right, there's more soccer supporters than atlethic supporters in ireland.
    True and as Corkman I really admire Sonia but Unfortunately She couldn't win the big one and that is the Olympics and Carruth achieved more than her
    as Olympics are the pinnacle for all athletes and Sonia never did it to all our dismay but she was a great athlete and a lovely person as well..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to blue rebel For This Useful Post:

Reviews

Looks like munster v all blacks is going to win it easy.
    Yep they ran away with it, I enjoyed Ted , Brian and Jer as there was good banter.. Missed the start as the wife
    had the controls and I had to watch I'm a celebrity....

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by blue rebel View Post
    Yep they ran away with it, I enjoyed Ted , Brian and Jer as there was good banter.. Missed the start as the wife
    had the controls and I had to watch I'm a celebrity....
    "Get Me outa here !!!!"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Barney Rubble For This Useful Post:

blue rebel (24-11-17)

Reviews

Graeme Mc Dowell winning the Ryder Cup 2010

Reviews

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/news/...XiL?li=BBr5KbJ

Not the first and surely not the last time these two have courted controversy.
    The Truth is out there.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast