Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Gay cake' appeal: Christian bakers Ashers lose appeal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 'Gay cake' appeal: Christian bakers Ashers lose appeal

The Christian owners of a Northern Ireland bakery have lost their appeal against a ruling that their refusal to make a "gay cake" was discriminatory.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-37748681

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Floki For This Useful Post:

LuckyLu (27-10-16), Wolverine (24-10-16)

Reviews

in my opinion
    it was the right dicision
    i've been following the story from the start
    Last edited by tom sand; 24-10-16 at 20:28.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tom sand For This Useful Post:

Floki (25-10-16), SteveB (24-10-16)

Reviews

Actually i think it is very unfair on them , surely they have a right not to do business with somebody they disagree with . If it was me personally i would make the cake and charge accordingly but i would like the option not to be forced to do business with any person i did want to .
    They are running a private business , not setting government policy .
    They also have been specifically targeted which in my opinion is unfair , is there only 1 bakery in NI?
    Other opinions are allowed
    Age doesn't equal maturity - just look around !
    Unhappy ? press ignore user in settings

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joggon For This Useful Post:

ana massage (24-10-16), bollocks (25-10-16), Wolverine (24-10-16)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joggon View Post
    Actually i think it is very unfair on them , surely they have a right not to do business with somebody they disagree with . If it was me personally i would make the cake and charge accordingly but i would like the option not to be forced to do business with any person i did want to .
    They are running a private business , not setting government policy .
    They also have been specifically targeted which in my opinion is unfair , is there only 1 bakery in NI?
    They breached a contract. Also they are Christians their business is not.
    What if "It's Raining Men" and 'Let the bodies hit the floor' are both about the same event but from different perspectives 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Floki View Post
    The Christian owners of a Northern Ireland bakery have lost their appeal against a ruling that their refusal to make a "gay cake" was discriminatory.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-37748681
    I disagree with the verdict at the time and I still do. Ashers had no problem doing business with the person in question who happened to be Gay. It was the message that was on on Cake that they took offence too, at the time and in particular to the word "Queer" which as everyone knows is a derogatory word, except within the Gay Community. At the time of reading it, It looked from my perspective to be publicity stunt. In that the person looking to have the Cake made, went straight to a bakers they were aware had staunch christian ideals knowing they would take offence. A form of Entrapment if you will.
    Last edited by Best Before; 25-10-16 at 12:30.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” - Oscar Wilde

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Best Before For This Useful Post:

philipkntz (25-10-16), willie wacker (25-10-16)

Asher's bakery support underage marriage and child sex! How so? Do a Google search for Judean marriage 2000 years ago. Shocking! If they are clinging to what the Bible says about marriage then they need to interpret that word as it was meant when it was written.

Reviews

I am neither anti-gay or Christian, but I hate this verdict. I think discrination laws should prevent people from doing things - not compel them.

If Ashers put up a sign saying "Christian customers only", or if they tried to publicly shame someone for messages they disagree with, then they should be prevented by discrimination laws. Stopping them from quietly declining any business they are uncomfortable with is wrong, and not helping the people the laws are there to protect.

I think this is comparable to compelling a Christian minister to marry a gay couple. I would defend his right to decline just as strongly as I would defend the couple's right to get married.
    Help Keyla fund her battle with cancer - give what you can spare.

https://gofund.me/8e340537

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MidlifeCrisis For This Useful Post:

Best Before (26-10-16), Wolverine (26-10-16)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MidlifeCrisis View Post
    I am neither anti-gay or Christian, but I hate this verdict. I think discrination laws should prevent people from doing things - not compel them.

If Ashers put up a sign saying "Christian customers only", or if they tried to publicly shame someone for messages they disagree with, then they should be prevented by discrimination laws. Stopping them from quietly declining any business they are uncomfortable with is wrong, and not helping the people the laws are there to protect.

I think this is comparable to compelling a Christian minister to marry a gay couple. I would defend his right to decline just as strongly as I would defend the couple's right to get married.
    Ashers initially took the booking for the cake and then changed their minds. Nobody forced them to do anything, but their actions were discriminatory. As for your highlighted statement, If they had refused to take the booking in the first instance without giving a reason, then nothing would have happened. No one is stopping them from doing this as it is already allowed in law. They brought it on themselves and have continued to do so by appealing.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by justfrank44 View Post
    Ashers initially took the booking for the cake and then changed their minds. Nobody forced them to do anything, but their actions were discriminatory. As for your highlighted statement, If they had refused to take the booking in the first instance without giving a reason, then nothing would have happened. No one is stopping them from doing this as it is already allowed in law. They brought it on themselves and have continued to do so by appealing.
    But they didn't refuse to serve gay customers. They refused to promote their ideology.
    If they refused to put "Vote Sinn fein" or "Vote DUP" on the cake would it be discrimination ?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    But they didn't refuse to serve gay customers. They refused to promote their ideology.
    If they refused to put "Vote Sinn fein" or "Vote DUP" on the cake would it be discrimination ?
    Who said they refused to serve gay customers? They took the booking for the cake and then changed their mind because of the what was to be on it, or did you follow the case at all?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast