Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Gay cake' appeal: Christian bakers Ashers lose appeal

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Part of me says good on the court for upholding the decision, but another part says it should never have gone to court to begin with - as a business let them sink or swim in the court of public opinion.

As a private business I'd rather be able to work with/for who I want without the judicial system making me.

Any given the number of idiots at the start of this who posted on facebook "look I'm gay and I just bought an ashers cake fuck them lol" the cynic in me makes me think it was all for the publicity. All the bible dicks will go out and buy shit to show support and idiot gays went out to buy shit to some how get one over on them. Either way sales go up.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatBastard For This Useful Post:

ana massage (24-10-16), Best Before (25-10-16)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by EIFII View Post
    I agree their course of action was unwise. But there is no law against changing your mind.
    There is actually.
    It is an aspect of law everyone should be aware of. Enter into a contract, even a verbal one, and you are bound by that contract.
    Last edited by SteveB; 24-10-16 at 20:52.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Interesting comment from gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell.

"This verdict is a defeat for freedom of expression.

"As well as meaning that Ashers can be legally forced to aid the promotion of same-sex marriage against their wishes, it also implies that gay bakers could be forced by law to decorate cakes with homophobic slogans."
    What planet is he from? There is no such thing as freedom of expression in the UK, nor has their been for as long as I can remember.

Reviews

To quote an example.
    If you are talking to a salesman and you tell him you intend to buy something at a certain price, especially if he has witnesses, that is a contract, and you could be held to it.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by FatBastard View Post
    What planet is he from? There is no such thing as freedom of expression in the UK, nor has their been for as long as I can remember.
    Libel laws have put paid to that.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

To quote an example.
    If you are talking to a salesman and you tell him you intend to buy something at a certain price, especially if he has witnesses, that is a contract, and you could be held to it.
    Nonsense, unless it's written and signed, and no business worth their salt isn't going to a get out of jail free card written into the terms to cover their own arse.

Even a price tag on an item on a shop shelf is not legally binding by a long shot.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Libel laws have put paid to that.
    Public decency laws or these generic "hate" laws that get talked about all the time these days.

Telling someone to drink bleach over twitter should not be something that involves the criminal justice system.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by FatBastard View Post
    Nonsense, unless it's written and signed, and no business worth their salt isn't going to a get out of jail free card written into the terms to cover their own arse.

Even a price tag on an item on a shop shelf is not legally binding by a long shot.
    Price tag is not legally binding in a shop.
    But a verbal agreement is binding, and many people have been caught out. Can be hard to prove without witnesses. But if it is witnessed, and proven to have taken place, it is enforceable.
    Counter-intuitive I know, but a good thing to know. If you are talking to someone, be careful what you say.....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveB For This Useful Post:

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by EIFII View Post
    And nor is the answer denying someone his rights in order to uphold the rights of another. The customer could easily have bought his cake elsewhere.

The lawyers are the only winners here
    They always win.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Price tag is not legally binding in a shop.
    But a verbal agreement is binding, and many people have been caught out. Can be hard to prove without witnesses. But if it is witnessed, and proven to have taken place, it is enforceable.
    Counter-intuitive I know, but a good thing to know. If you are talking to someone, be careful what you say.....
    And it's ended by a manager saying "he/she did not have the authority to offer that"

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast