Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Executions - 100 years ago today

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by alcatel View Post
    Irish were in the UK at the time however and the rebels had been colluding with Germany in a time of war.
    I know that, but it wasn't by choice, and after hundreds of years of oppression why not get some help wherever they could get it.

Someone. I think, here recently called him a nice guy. I wouln't know.
    Ah, but he's not really that much of a MrNiceGuy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton23 View Post
    Never you mind who i am. I seem to remember you having a hissy bitch fit when someone revealed information about you on a online forum so you should know better. Meanwhile Forrest waits anxiously for emma to thank his post...................
    I have no interest in who you are, or any of your pathetic trolling, which seems to be becoming rather obsessive, with all your different usernames.

I must give Emma a nudge in a while and get her to login and thank a few posts. She is getting very lazy.

Engaging Personality
    Mesmerising Eyes
    Magnificent Ass
    Adorable Lady
    Sexy, Wicked, Enticing, Erotic, Tease

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:

emmasweet (12-08-16)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
    Just after the Easter Rising finished and the executions started, The Irish Times prophesised that the rebellion would “pass into history
    with the equally unsuccessful insurrections of the past”.
    What would have happened had the British not executed the leaders of the Rising is one of the great imponderables of history.
    Would the mood of anger and dismay at the destruction and loss of life have remained?
    Would the hostility towards the rebels evident on the streets of Dublin after the rebellion have persisted if they had not been executed?
    Veteran Nationalist MP John Dillon was sure, even while the executions were going on, that they were “letting loose a river of blood”.
    It was the first time the British had the bulk of the Irish population on their side in a rebellion, he told the British prime minister Herbert Asquith,
    yet the executions had changed all that.

Disastrous aftermath
    The blame for the disastrous aftermath of the Easter Rising lies firstly with Gen John Maxwell, who was given “plenary powers” to deal with the rebels as he saw fit.
    The British government effectively washed its hands of responsibility. What demanded a carefully calibrated political response was dealt with instead by the brutal
    instrument of martial justice.
    The British used war-time regulations to deal with the rebels. The dreaded Defence of the Realm Act was invoked to stymie anything regarded as injurious to the
    British war effort. Those involved with the so-called mosquito press or those making anti-recruitment speeches were dealt with by the Act.
    Crucially, it allowed those regarded as having assisted the enemy to be tried by field court martial. It involved three army officers, irrespective of whether
    or not they had legal training.

Affront to justice
    Those British officers chosen to have the power of life or death over the rebels were chosen simply because they were available.
    Even by the standards of the day, the executions were an affront to justice. They were held in secret, the accused were allowed no defence and the executions
    were carried out without leave to appeal.
    It is clear from the paucity of documentations surrounding them, and the sheer volume of trials processed, that they were designed with only one outcome in mind
    – the execution of the rebels involved.
    Many of the leaders, most notably Patrick Pearse and Seán MacDiarmada expected to be executed and, indeed, sought it.
    They had, after all, invoked the aid of Britain’s mortal enemy, Germany.
    But there were also precedents from another part of the British empire which suggested a more judicious process might have been appropriate.
    In late 1914, Gen Louis Botha’s Union of South Africa faced an internal revolt from his fellow countrymen who had aligned themselves with Germany.
    The revolt was suppressed but none of the leaders were executed lest they create martyrs for the cause.
    The Irish Parliamentary Party leader John Redmond and his deputy John Dillon invoked the Botha example, but they had reckoned without the bovine
    stupidity of Maxwell, who was given a free hand to do what he saw fit.

Historic mistake
    In the end, he ordered 15 men to be executed and commuted the other sentences.
    By the time Asquith had arrived in Dublin just after the last executions, the damage had been done. Britain had made a historic mistake.
    As George Bernard Shaw said afterwards: “It is absolutely impossible to slaughter a man in this position without making him a martyr and a hero,
    even though the day before the rising he may have been only a minor poet.
    “The shot Irishmen will now take their places beside Emmet and the Manchester Martyrs in Ireland and beside the heroes of Poland and Serbia and Belgium in Europe,
    and nothing in heaven or on earth can prevent it.”
    Imagine fighting a war you know you cant win, know youll be executed for and 100 years later the place is far worse than when the brits had it? I love to wonder would they do it all over again. I doubt it.

Westside.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Westsidex For This Useful Post:

Dalton23 (07-05-16)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    Imagine fighting a war you know you cant win, know youll be executed for and 100 years later the place is far worse than when the brits had it? I love to wonder would they do it all over again. I doubt it.

Westside.
    Maybe they were glass half full people, unlike you;-)
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Shalom/salaam.
    10,000 years of Middle Eastern civilisation and the place is not at peace but rather in pieces.

Reviews

Personally I like coming from and living in this Republic - Banana or otherwise - it is who we are now and each of us must make the best of it - it is sad however that since the rising - probably more than a million of us have emigrated!!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clueless For This Useful Post:

alcatel (07-05-16), SteveB (07-05-16)

Reviews

The glass is half full.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Shalom/salaam.
    10,000 years of Middle Eastern civilisation and the place is not at peace but rather in pieces.

Reviews

The glass is half full.
    Yeah.
    And it's your round.
    Get the drinks in, mine is a Black Bush, neat, no ice.
    Last edited by SteveB; 07-05-16 at 08:59.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteveB For This Useful Post:

alcatel (07-05-16), Clueless (07-05-16)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    Imagine fighting a war you know you cant win, know youll be executed for and 100 years later the place is far worse than when the brits had it? I love to wonder would they do it all over again. I doubt it.Westside.
    It must take remarkable courage, belief, and strength of character, to do what they did. It's a different world now, so maybe they wouldn't do it again now, but they died believing in what they did, regardless of the consequences for them.

However, I don't believe Ireland is far worse than when it was occupied by Britain. Partition, and the Civil War, caused an awful lot of problems and the politics of today still shows those problems. Fianna Fail & Fine Gael can't work together as a result.

Interesting thread Forrest.
    Mallin was in charge in Stephen's Green where the rebels had dug trenches. This has been questioned by many as the place was surrounded by high buildings. The British put a machine gun on one of the roofs and proceeded to rake the Green with fire, whereupon the rebels forced their way through the front door of the College of Surgeons and took possession.
    Mallin was one of the few of the executed who pleaded for his life or put up a defence. It is assumed he did not want to leave his wife and 4 or so children, in poverty, fatherless and without a breadwinner.
    Countess M. is often assumed to have been his second in command but I think the exact chain of command is uncertain.
    There were a few tactical errors during the rebellion, and taking St Stephen's Green park, and not the surrounding buildings was one of them.
    Not taking Trinity College was another error of judgement, but they were very short on support when the Rising started due to the cancellation
    of 'manoeuvres' the previous day by Eoin Mac Neill.

Engaging Personality
    Mesmerising Eyes
    Magnificent Ass
    Adorable Lady
    Sexy, Wicked, Enticing, Erotic, Tease

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:

alcatel (09-05-16), emmasweet (12-08-16)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123