Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Any bookworms here?

Quote Originally Posted by johnb59 View Post
    Definitely worth a watch and it's running on one of the UK stations at the moment not sure which one though did you receive my pm?
    My PM mailbox was full.

Now I've done a bit of housecleaning , try send it again x
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Stella View Post
    I am a huge one, always seen my parents reading anytime they had free time, they have thousands of books at home, so no wonder where is this passion of mine coming from.

But nowadays when we spend most of our times on iPhones, iPads...etc reading is becoming underrated.

Love just wondering around in Chapters, Hodges Figgs, well usually buy something

Do you have any favorite book, writer?
    Favorite book: On The Road

Favorite Writer: Hemingway or Camus
    "The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation" - Henry David Thoreau.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Meursault For This Useful Post:

JohnSund2 (04-07-14), Stella (04-07-14), Stephanie (04-07-14)

Quote Originally Posted by Yamser View Post
    unfortunatly no im not but would like to , but every time i go to a store i have no idea where to even start nothing appeals to me , i think this is because of a video stores and movies you sit back and the imagination is done for you

i would like to maybe try some clasics , moby dick , dantaes inferno , thats all i know and not sure if there even classics lol
    Its never too late to start, for me classics are russian literature /Dostojevski, Tolstoi/ 1984 by Orwell and the list goes on but each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyDipping View Post
    It was a crying shame when they closed Borders in Blanch. Great bookshop with coffee shop as well.
    I don't read as much as I used to, but I really enjoyed working my way through French lit like Maupassant, Zola, Hugo, Stendal etc etc.
    Sci fi and GOT are big loves. As are photo books , travel books and art books.
    But nowadays anything that looks vaguely interesting. Biography's are interesting
    Sthendhal is on my holiday reading list along with Updike, Steinbeck, Bulgakov, and maybe its time for War an Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Danny2011 View Post
    Yes I'm a bookworm. I find it really hard to fall asleep without reading, mostly crime/thriller fiction & the occasional biography.

Just finished The Wolf of Wall Street.......haven't seen the film yet but wouldn't be surprised if the book was better.
    Huge fan of Dicaprio he was brilliant, seen it twice but not overly impressed!

Real Wolf of Wall street been in Dublin few months ago and heard it was a pure rip off, only wanted to sell his course in UK
    Good bye Ireland!

Michael Crichton, Stieg Larsson, Jo Nesbo, Lee Child, Ken Follet, Harlan Coben, Grisham John, Frederick Forsyth, David Morrell, Camilla Läckberg, Karin Fossum, Hugh Laurie (yes, very good book), George Orwell, Aldous Huxley and a lot more...
    In most read as audiobooks due to circumstances.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyPleasure For This Useful Post:

Alyssa Jenkins (05-07-14), Stella (05-07-14)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Stella View Post
    I am a huge one, always seen my parents reading anytime they had free time, they have thousands of books at home, so no wonder where is this passion of mine coming from.

But nowadays when we spend most of our times on iPhones, iPads...etc reading is becoming underrated.

Love just wondering around in Chapters, Hodges Figgs, well usually buy something

Do you have any favorite book, writer?

I thought I had lost my reading mojo. I simply could not concentrate on reading and would skim or lose interest quickly. Unfinished books would accumulate and then I'd bring a box to the charity shop. It made me feel slightly guilty, as if I was wasting something valuable. But I'm improving a little again; helped by the fact that I happened to purchase some well written books that caught my interest when I started them. It can be hard to read for leisure if you anxious or troubled but books can also be inspiring and reassuring when you read something that strikes a chord. I read The Elegance of the Hedgehog recently and although it took two attempts to get into it I'm glad I persevered. It is a book that has polarised readers though with some loving it and some dismissing it as rubbish. Quiet, by Susan Cain, a book about introversion caught my interest in another way and because it is accessible and well written I enjoyed it and learned a few things too.

I've read books on all sorts of subject matter and genres. If I like an authors work I buy more of it, (for example - Martin Cruz Smith, Murakami, Atwood) or if a particular topic or event catches my fascination I can buy several books by different authors on that subject. Polar exploration for instance. I also buy some of the award winning novels with mixed results. I liked Sense of an Ending and God of All Small Things. Star of the Sea surprised me and I only bought it because I heard an interview with Joseph O'Connor on the radio.
    I'd love to go back to Waterstone's in London. Eight floors - now that's a bookshop.

"...has the simple refinement as the hedgehog: a deceptively indolent little creature, fiercely solitary - and terribly elegant."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Prickly For This Useful Post:

Stella (05-07-14)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ana massage View Post
    I wish i would still read like i did before
    Every day when i walk my dog i pass by a book shop and every time i say i will go and buy one !

But didn't got in yet

I tend to go more for the historical and fiction books
    What about an outcall to a bookshop?
    Last edited by Prickly; 05-07-14 at 03:35. Reason: That's for me to know...

An amazing book came out 2 years ago, 50 Shades of Grey, completely changed my life for a month.

The girlfriend got really big into being Anna, I had a great time whipping her Ass whilst it lasted!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234