Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Limerick Gardai Prostitution sting operation of December 2012.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Carr View Post
    It is possible the pimp misled him telling him she was above the age of consent. 17 in the Republic of Ireland, right? She may also have looked over 17.

Anyway, our prosecutorial and punishment based system of justice is totally unsuited in my opinion to deal with matters such as these. A guarantee of privacy should be afforded to both accuser and accused including even after any conviction is secured against the accused. Journalists who totally break this prohibition should face a lengthy prison sentence. They can go write about other stuff, you know, educational stuff. We need a harm reduction and "restorative justice" mode of justice. I don't think that 64 year old man was evil. He was emotionally vulnerable perhaps because of circumstances in his life that we will probably never know. He miscalculated and it had catastrophic consequences for him.

And, of course, let's not ignore that what we are talking about here is stigma, stigma which also prevents adult sex workers to come out and campaign together for their full labour, civil and human rights with all other workers. If there was no sex work stigma in Ireland, Ruhama would be finished within the week.
    Just another point to throw into the mix. I believe the legal age requirement for selling sex is 18, not 17.

Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    Just another point to throw into the mix. I believe the legal age requirement for selling sex is 18, not 17.
    Yes, you are right. My point still stands. The pimp may have misled him regarding her age and some 15 year old girls may look 18 or over.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123