Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Irish People cheering on Team GB.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by golth View Post
    Looking foward to the boxing at the weekend , hope Katie does it .
    Me too, she's a legend - and I'm a Londoner and proud !

2. The Following User Says Thank You to topgun For This Useful Post:

toya (03-08-12)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hd7055 View Post
    To be fair, most Irish people have absolutely no problem with any 'British' athlete - the problem is with BBC's ridiculously biased hype and coverage of same.

Have never met a single English, Scottish or Welsh person who described themselves as British btw ...

C'mon Katie!!!
    BBC NI nicely proved my point tonight - Irish boxer Michael Conlon, boxing for Ireland won his match and is apparently part of team GB &NI! Ffs ..

If he'd lost am sure he'd have been Irish ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hd7055 For This Useful Post:

peru (03-08-12)

Reviews

BBC NI nicely proved my point tonight - Irish boxer Michael Conlon, boxing for Ireland won his match and is apparently part of team GB &NI! Ffs ..

If he'd lost am sure he'd have been Irish ...
    Same with the rowing,Alan Campbell,the commentary was GB&NI ! First time i heard that....!!!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to peru For This Useful Post:

hd7055 (03-08-12)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by peru View Post
    Same with the rowing,Alan Campbell,the commentary was GB&NI ! First time i heard that....!!!!!

Therein lies the inaccuracy, the correct "geographical" name is the United Kingdom, as in United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, so it should, if one wanted to be factually correct, be team UK.....of course being team GB allows support or rejection for NI athletes depending on whether they are winning or losing!!!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to doodlebug For This Useful Post:

Sweet Disposition (03-08-12)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
    Therein lies the inaccuracy, the correct "geographical" name is the United Kingdom, as in United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, so it should, if one wanted to be factually correct, be team UK.....of course being team GB allows support or rejection for NI athletes depending on whether they are winning or losing!!!!!
    Eh, missing the point - it's not team UK because there's a team Ireland which represents both sides of the border.

Slightly, off topic but did you know that the only entity called 'The Republic of Ireland' is a really crap soccer team. See article 4 of the constitution, but the BBf'ingC ...

Reviews

Eh, missing the point - it's not team UK because there's a team Ireland which represents both sides of the border.

Slightly, off topic but did you know that the only entity called 'The Republic of Ireland' is a really crap soccer team. See article 4 of the constitution, but the BBf'ingC ...
    Hate to be pedantic but NI athletes can choose which team they wish to compete for!!! but I accept your point, the Irish team generally includes around 25 percent of athletes from the North, and coaches too.

I think we need to start the campaign for Rio 2016.....come on team two islands of four or five states that sit beside each other on the western extreme of europe.....kind of catchy isn't it!!!!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to doodlebug For This Useful Post:

Dub Lad (03-08-12)

Reviews

Hate to be pedantic but NI athletes can choose which team they wish to compete for!!! but I accept your point, the Irish team generally includes around 25 percent of athletes from the North, and coaches too.

I think we need to start the campaign for Rio 2016.....come on team two islands of four or five states that sit beside each other on the western extreme of europe.....kind of catchy isn't it!!!!!!
    Time to put the cat amongst the pigeons. How about Team British Isles?
    According to Wiki (if you can believe that lol) , the Island of Ireland & Great Britain are known as the British Isles.

At the end of the day, does it really matter which team the athletes compete for - as long as they are doing well
    in their chosen events?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to theqm For This Useful Post:

doodlebug (03-08-12)

Reviews

One is quite proud to support ones nearest neighbour and former overlords .
    Last edited by wolrac; 03-08-12 at 22:47.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Apart from the Team USA I'm proud to say I support Ireland and team GB seriously the british would be the first up their to support Ireland and would always want us to do well.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dub Lad For This Useful Post:

hd7055 (03-08-12)

Reviews

No; it's not.

Accept NI athletes can declare for either GB or Ireland - my point is there no team GB & NI aka team UK (notwithstanding Stephen Watson's wet dreams that there is).

Hd.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast