Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: why not???? maths question

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by nicegirlsarenice View Post
    ² is part of the extended ASCII character set. So is ³. You can get them by pressing alt + 0178 or alt + 0179... I have to get them in notepad first though as firefox acts funny when I try to do it.
    <geek mode>Wow, now this is old school indeed. Extended ASCII even. Why not use do the unicode or hex values, extended ASCII is a long time ago mate. But nice one all the same, hadn't been thinking of those for some time, brings me back. Extended ASCII. </Geek mode>

Quote Originally Posted by corkpunter View Post
    <geek mode>Wow, now this is old school indeed. Extended ASCII even. Why not use do the unicode or hex values, extended ASCII is a long time ago mate. But nice one all the same, hadn't been thinking of those for some time, brings me back. Extended ASCII. </Geek mode>
    Useful for special characters sometimes, like alt + 0128 - €, alt + 0163 - £, alt + 0254 - þ (like a tongue sticking out in a smiley :þ).

Also people should use control + x and control + c and control + v/shift + insert with the arrow keys all the time for cut, copy and paste, they're way faster. And use tab a lot more as well. I couldn't tell you how I know people don't use them enough.... >_>

Here's an interesting math question: Why does (1/1)^2 (1/2)^2 + (1/3)^2 + (1/4)^2 + ..... equal pi^2/6.

Euler solved this age-old problem at the age of 28, and rose to international fame as a mathematician.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basel_problem

There are lots of problems like this in Professor Stewart's Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities 1 and 2.

For example did you know how many different colours are required to colour a map of regions so that no two regions with the same colour are touching? The answer is four.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_color_theorem
    Last edited by nicegirlsarenice; 22-01-11 at 23:36.

Reviews

Useful for special characters sometimes, like alt + 0128 - €, alt + 0163 - £, alt + 0254 - þ (like a tongue sticking out in a smiley :þ).

Also people should use control + x and control + c and control + v/shift + insert with the arrow keys all the time for cut, copy and paste, they're way faster. And use tab a lot more as well. I couldn't tell you how I know people don't use them enough.... >_>

Here's an interesting math question: Why does (1/1)^2 (1/2)^2 + (1/3)^2 + (1/4)^2 + ..... equal pi^2/6.

Euler solved this age-old problem at the age of 28, and rose to international fame as a mathematician.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basel_problem

There are lots of problems like this in Professor Stewart's Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities 1 and 2.

For example did you know how many different colours are required to colour a map of regions so that no two regions with the same colour are touching? The answer is four.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_color_theorem
    The only reason it is useful is because the application isn't smart enough to know about hex or unicode for the same character. Legacy mode in Notepad if you will.

The only reason it is useful is because the application isn't smart enough to know about hex or unicode for the same character. Legacy mode in Notepad if you will.
    Actually producing these characters is a direct response of the operating system. The reason it doesn't work in Firefox sometimes is because firefox seems to use them for different things, for example alt + numpad 4 is a cue to go backwards.

Reviews

Actually producing these characters is a direct response of the operating system. The reason it doesn't work in Firefox sometimes is because firefox seems to use them for different things, for example alt + numpad 4 is a cue to go backwards.
    No it isn't. Each application decides what key combos to intercept and how to treat them. Nothing to do with the OS it is happening on.

No it isn't. Each application decides what key combos to intercept and how to treat them. Nothing to do with the OS it is happening on.
    lol, no.

Windows treats "f" as "f" when you write it in a text box. That doesn't have to be coded into each application. In the same way it treats "alt+0128" as "€". Your application can override it or do something you don't want it to do as firefox does, but I'm talking about what the OS does by default.

Reviews

lol, no.

Windows treats "f" as "f" when you write it in a text box. That doesn't have to be coded into each application. In the same way it treats "alt+0128" as "€". Your application can override it or do something you don't want it to do as firefox does, but I'm talking about what the OS does by default.

Can't be bothered.
    Last edited by corkpunter; 23-01-11 at 00:44.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to corkpunter For This Useful Post:

An don (23-01-11), nicegirlsarenice (23-01-11)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456