Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Frankie Boyle: Has he over stepped the mark?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRambo View Post
    Four months on and Ofcom finally take some kinda action, not near enough in my opinion but at least they’ve listened to people’s complaints.

BBC News - Frankie Boyle's Katie Price jokes censured
    It's been 4 months eh? And it seems like it was only yesterday... Haven't heard much from him since really. Under the radar a wee bit.
    ladiesman217: April 2009 to April 2024

Goodbye

Reviews

No I don't think he overstepped the mark, he wasn't making fun of Harvey, he was making fun of Katie Price and Andy Read: the joke was supposed to demonstrate what selfish people they are. That is to say, he's making fun of Katie Price and other celebrities who use their disabled children for attention and publicity, I have seen countless magazine covers with Katie Price posing with Harvey on the front, with captions such as "I love Harvey no matter what" or "the pain of discovering my son's disabilities", and no she is not doing it to raise awareness for disabled people, it's purely for attention and to raise her profile.

I find it is not too different from the Movie Tropic Thunder, when there was uproar over the Simple Jack character; Ben Stiller wasn't making fun of the mentally disabled, he was taking a swipe at actors who play disabled characters to further their career.

Many people struggle to take care of their disabled loved ones who really do need help, especially now that the government has cut their carer's allowance; these are the issues we need to be talking about, not celebrities and their self-indulgence in seeking praise for fulfilling basic obligations with vastly more resources than most families.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ladytron For This Useful Post:

very shy guy (27-12-12)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ladytron View Post
    No I don't think he overstepped the mark, he wasn't making fun of Harvey, he was making fun of Katie Price and Andy Read: the joke was supposed to demonstrate what selfish people they are. That is to say, he's making fun of Katie Price and other celebrities who use their disabled children for attention and publicity, I have seen countless magazine covers with Katie Price posing with Harvey on the front, with captions such as "I love Harvey no matter what" or "the pain of discovering my son's disabilities", and no she is not doing it to raise awareness for disabled people, it's purely for attention and to raise her profile.

I find it is not too different from the Movie Tropic Thunder, when there was uproar over the Simple Jack character; Ben Stiller wasn't making fun of the mentally disabled, he was taking a swipe at actors who play disabled characters to further their career.

Many people struggle to take care of their disabled loved ones who really do need help, especially now that the government has cut their carer's allowance; these are the issues we need to be talking about, not celebrities and their self-indulgence in seeking praise for fulfilling basic obligations with vastly more resources than most families.
    A well thought out post Ladytron and one I agree with 100%.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Mod View Post
    Christmas time nobody posts many new threads; pefect opportunity to rummage through nooks and crannies of the forum to dig up some oldies but goodies...
    Last edited by ladytron; 29-12-12 at 13:53. Reason: get sum baby, get sum!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ladytron For This Useful Post:

Martin Ward (31-12-12)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123