Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traditional Irish food

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaJessy View Post
    Dublin Coddle might be tasty,but the looks.........it doesn't make me very curious.
    Don't look at it, the meat looks raw. If you can get past it then its lovely. I promise.
    If life gives you lemons ask for Tequila

Only sad bastards seek gratification from signatures

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sensual Delights View Post
    You forgot to mention the big love for spuds
    Kinda love them myself sometimes, especially cooked in tinfoil, in their own jackets ... yummi !

I couldn't eat a rabbit lately I cannot even eat lamb and I start feeling guilty even about eating chicken
    Yes the foreign countries make lovely spuds. We actually import spuds here. We are the best country in the world for growing spuds and we import them.

Irish farming again,
    Westside.

Reviews

Packet and Tripe

Packet and Tripe is a real Limerick city dish. Tripe is the lining of the cow's stomach (whitish), and packet (blue-blackish) is a sort of pigs blood pudding. It is very easily digested.

It is no longer prepared in Limerick, but instead comes from Cork butchers. Packet seems to be known as Drisheen down there. I don't know if Tripe and Drisheen is as popular there as it was once upon a time in Limerick.

Apparently, packet and tripe should only be eaten if the letter "r" appears in the spelling of the month.

1lb tripe
    ˝lb packet
    2-3 onions, diced
    1 pint water
    3/4 pint of milk, preferrably full-fat organic, according to the Examiner...
    large knob of butter
    salt and pepper
    Rinse the tripe in running water, and cut into small 1cm-2cm squares.
    Add the tripe to a pint of boiling water, and simmer for ˝ hour to 1 hour, until the tripe is tender.
    Drain the tripe in a colander, and add it pack to the pot with the milk, and the diced onions. Bring to the boil.
    Remove the skin from the packet. Dice it into small cubes and add it to the pot. Simmer for 30 minutes, then spoon into a bowl.
    It is important when eating packet and tripe to first add a large knob of butter, and plenty of salt and pepper. Then, sit back, enjoy the aroma, and dig in!
    The Truth is out there.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=westcorklad;285502]Packet and Tripe

Sheep :angrylittleredface.

sheeps stomach,
    Westside.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by westcorklad View Post
    Packet and Tripe

Packet and Tripe is a real Limerick city dish. Tripe is the lining of the cow's stomach (whitish), and packet (blue-blackish) is a sort of pigs blood pudding. It is very easily digested.

It is no longer prepared in Limerick, but instead comes from Cork butchers. Packet seems to be known as Drisheen down there. I don't know if Tripe and Drisheen is as popular there as it was once upon a time in Limerick.

Apparently, packet and tripe should only be eaten if the letter "r" appears in the spelling of the month.

1lb tripe
    ˝lb packet
    2-3 onions, diced
    1 pint water
    3/4 pint of milk, preferrably full-fat organic, according to the Examiner...
    large knob of butter
    salt and pepper
    Rinse the tripe in running water, and cut into small 1cm-2cm squares.
    Add the tripe to a pint of boiling water, and simmer for ˝ hour to 1 hour, until the tripe is tender.
    Drain the tripe in a colander, and add it pack to the pot with the milk, and the diced onions. Bring to the boil.
    Remove the skin from the packet. Dice it into small cubes and add it to the pot. Simmer for 30 minutes, then spoon into a bowl.
    It is important when eating packet and tripe to first add a large knob of butter, and plenty of salt and pepper. Then, sit back, enjoy the aroma, and dig in!
    This sounds interesting and doesn't look bad
    Last edited by JessicaJessy; 12-09-10 at 11:55.

Reviews

[QUOTE=JessicaJessy;285506]This sounds interesting and doesn't look bad

At one time it was very popular in Cork
    Dont think it is so much now though.
    The Truth is out there.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaJessy View Post
    Dublin Coddle might be tasty,but the looks.........it doesn't make me very curious.
    It's all in the presentation

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anon361 View Post
    It's all in the presentation

Oh yes,now i am tempted!Thanks anon

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lucy chambers View Post
    A personal favourite of mine, actually. Yum.
    Lucy, James has contacted me and he's very upset, he thought he was your personal favourite but don't worry I assured him it was the coddle you were referring to and not me (on this occasion )

10. The Following User Says Thank You to anon361 For This Useful Post:

Lucy Chambers (12-09-10)

Reviews

Clonakilty black pudding is worth a try - you'll get in most supermarkets.

Corned beef is another Irish dish - also spiced beef at Christmas.

I think you were also looking for a good seafood restaraunt - Caviston's is probably the best in Dublin. It's tiny so you do need to book it well in advance - here's a link:

Cavistons

To be honest though traditional Irish food for the common people would have contained very little meat - this country was dirt poor for centuries - Maybe a rabbit stew once or twice a week. Oats were the staple diet until the arrival of potatoes. Oh, and being a good Catholic country fish on Friday's!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hd7055 For This Useful Post:

JessicaJessy (12-09-10)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast