Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: School and the Irish Civil War.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by nicegirlsarenice View Post
    We got taught it a lot. I hated all of it. I much preferred ancient roman or greek or aztecs or european history. The Irish Civil War is really boring and you had no idea who to believe.
    The Russian Revolution is the most interesting imo.

Reviews

I despised history. A subject i have no use for.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

I was once told that the civil war generation decided it was better to move on, rather than prolong the divisions of the civil war. They didn't want it to be passed onto the next generation. Methinks it was a valid reason. There was nothing to be gained from scratching at those wounds. As it was the bitterness lasted for decades. A nasty little war it was too. Alot of the atrocities in the Balkans twenty years ago were a direct result of what happened during WWII. Croats in the German army killing Serbs and such.

History is brillant...... Pity we never learn from it.
    Anyway, there endeth the lesson.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    I loved history in school. I was shit hot at it.I mean i got top marks on stuff before it even happened. All A's i got. Loved it.

However, did anyone else realise that they didnt cover the Irish Civil War at all much? We covered Bismark, Hitler, Cromwell, all the kings and Queens of various countries, all the wars, Cu Cullen and his hurley. We did Parnell, O Connell, 1916 rising etc but f'all on the civil war.

They deliberately didnt teach it to us in case one of us would go home and say Mr X in school said Michael Collins was bad etc. The effects of the civil war were still leaving a bitter taste amongst some ppl.

My point is surely that the Irish civil war should have being taught to us properly since it was such a pivotal event in our history.

sincerely,
    Westside.
    oh boy the man is now in the 21st century, and westie the is this you were not allowed to learn it, for fear the gaelic irish dream that you were feed would be tanted, by these heros kicking 9 bells out of each other a few years later,it took a brit to write a book on in the late 80`s to get us to realise we even had one
    taking a break, but not gone

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Prickly View Post
    I was once told that the civil war generation decided it was better to move on, rather than prolong the divisions of the civil war. They didn't want it to be passed onto the next generation. Methinks it was a valid reason. There was nothing to be gained from scratching at those wounds. As it was the bitterness lasted for decades. A nasty little war it was too. Alot of the atrocities in the Balkans twenty years ago were a direct result of what happened during WWII. Croats in the German army killing Serbs and such.

History is brillant...... Pity we never learn from it.
    Anyway, there endeth the lesson.
    your point is lets not speak of? it??????????? sorry bollocks, it is what made our state what is today, so put out in open, pick over it, then move on, but slid under the carpet , hummm, yes we that he it called the catholic church, nice that, alter boy anyone?????????

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by wanted the best 69 View Post
    your point is lets not speak of? it??????????? sorry bollocks, it is what made our state what is today, so put out in open, pick over it, then move on, but slid under the carpet , hummm, yes we that he it called the catholic church, nice that, alter boy anyone?????????
    No - not my point. I think all of it should be recorded. The people involved at the time made a descision to move on, was the point. Maybe it was the wrong decision, but I think they were right - at that time. I don't agree with anything being slid under the carpet.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Prickly View Post
    No - not my point. I think all of it should be recorded. The people involved at the time made a descision to move on, was the point. Maybe it was the wrong decision, but I think they were right - at that time. I don't agree with anything being slid under the carpet.
    e problem is it end as a draw it then was fought as politcal idea for entire 20 th century, point, swept under the carpet, to be forgotten, but fester it has, first sign of a thaw brian lenahan this year , and this is the 21 st century that sir is my point

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    I loved history in school. I was shit hot at it.I mean i got top marks on stuff before it even happened. All A's i got. Loved it.

However, did anyone else realise that they didnt cover the Irish Civil War at all much? We covered Bismark, Hitler, Cromwell, all the kings and Queens of various countries, all the wars, Cu Cullen and his hurley. We did Parnell, O Connell, 1916 rising etc but f'all on the civil war.

They deliberately didnt teach it to us in case one of us would go home and say Mr X in school said Michael Collins was bad etc. The effects of the civil war were still leaving a bitter taste amongst some ppl.

My point is surely that the Irish civil war should have being taught to us properly since it was such a pivotal event in our history.

sincerely,
    Westside.
    --------------------------------------------------

Agree , Oliver put manners on ya all .Bigtime ! ---- to hell or Connaught.

9. Default

The civil war hasn't started yet
    mate. THERE WILL BE BLOOD. It's time to take the money from those south Dublin wankers who haven't paid a cent towards this recession

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nicegirlsarenice View Post
    We got taught it a lot. I hated all of it. I much preferred ancient roman or greek or aztecs or european history. The Irish Civil War is really boring and you had no idea who to believe.
    We werent taught about the Civil war. They stopped after the 1916 rising. Brief mention of IRA ,Collins and the black and tans but very brief and defo no qs in any exams on it.

Westside.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Westsidex For This Useful Post:

wanted the best 69 (05-09-10)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast