Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: European food security

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CrackShotJack View Post
    I see your point, and well made it is too. However, we are currently running at a fraction of what we are capable of. Using the beet industry as an example isn't comparing like for like, however. My point, in it's most basic economic form is that we could produce enough basic food stuffs to survive into the future. You are talking about luxury goods.

It's the basic law of comparative advantage.
    How do u intend to reduce the cost of production? What type products are u talking about.
    Just take grain as an example at the prices of the last 2 years money was lost on production, scale was not an answer as the
    inputs cost more than the crop value, the greater the scale the greater the loss. At that loss making price we couldnt still compete
    with imports. Take milk last year milk was being sold for 23 cent per litre, production costs were 27 cent a litre again we cant compete. Take into account that we produce milk more cheaply than any other european producer.
    We are caught in a high cost system, the cost of our inputs ,energy costs ,wages transport costs are multiples of what say our South American competitors.We also can never compete on Scale in South America they have cattle farms almost as big as
    counties here, they are reclaiming huge tracts of rainforest for crops and cattle farms , we just havent that type of land base
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

just trying to think who your avatar reminds me of. ...
    I'm a well hung chap, hung like a bastard says i.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wellhungchap View Post
    just trying to think who your avatar reminds me of. ...
    Mark from Peep Show?

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Keep thread on topic please
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12