Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: car question

yes i agree Torque converters and clutch are not part of the gearboxes by part of the engine assembly. the difference is the atuomatics use oil pressure to deside when to change gear, semi automatic use rpm OR driver. manual uses driver only

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    On the F1 thing, before the F1 car goes out on the track it goes through a complete warm up cycle. The engine and gearbox go through a pre determined, computer controlled cycle and this is done whilst the car is up on stands with no driver input whatsoever. So who changes the gears? The computer does - automatically. Its like in this warm up cycle the computer selects 'D'. So an F1 box does have an automatic facility of sorts but as said the driver is not allowed to use it.
    See what you are saying here!! It is the computer (which is not even part of the car) that is instructing the transmission to change gears. It is NOT an automatic transmission. It is NOT the transmission is deciding when to change gears. If the transmission did that the car would not be allowed race.

Reviews

I have chosen autos for the last 15 years. I travel a lot and the idea of stick shift is a definate no no. But you have to drive a motor 2 litre+ with turbo or equivalent to get the true benifit. Cant beat the kickdown and throw back when you overtake. Ahh thats power........

Quote Originally Posted by JAMESCORK View Post
    I have chosen autos for the last 15 years. I travel a lot and the idea of stick shift is a definate no no. But you have to drive a motor 2 litre+ with turbo or equivalent to get the true benifit. Cant beat the kickdown and throw back when you overtake. Ahh thats power........
    your a menace on the road...you were spotted overtaking ...............is that a lada riva your driving...auto my eye.....

Reviews

From what I can see johnmurphy reckons there is no such thing as an automatic transmission! EVERY 'automatic' needs an external input from the driver no matter what it is - with the exception of the DAF Variomatic / Van Doorne system. He is a genius this johnmurphy, because according to him the transmission in my car is not an automatic even though the manufacturers say it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeynut View Post
    From what I can see johnmurphy reckons there is no such thing as an automatic transmission! EVERY 'automatic' needs an external input from the driver no matter what it is - with the exception of the DAF Variomatic / Van Doorne system. He is a genius this johnmurphy, because according to him the transmission in my car is not an automatic even though the manufacturers say it is.
    I thought the links I provided above would have been enought to allow you educate yourself but obviously not. So I will have one more go before I give up on you entirely

If the gearbox has the ability to decide when to change gears all by itself then it is Automatic

If the gearbox relies on a command from the driver to change gears then it is Automated

I'm sure even you know what manual means so I will let it there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnmurphy View Post
    I

If the gearbox has the ability to decide when to change gears all by itself then it is Automatic

If the gearbox relies on a command from the driver to change gears then it is Automated

I'm sure even you know what manual means so I will let it there.
    Yes, the manual is what you open and read when you dont understand the above two sentences.

:-)
    Westside.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by feargal View Post
    I would like to add a little bit about the torque converter which is fitted to every automatic or semi automatic. the torque converter allows the car to stand still while still in gear and when the car is moveing you are still getting slippage from the torque converter this causes the car to be harder on fuel. The automatic is very handy when driveing in traffic but for me I prefer the manual shift
    For the love of god just buy a car ,put the keys in and drive it. Like eating a nice roast beef and wondering what the belated cow ate last.

any automatic steering?
    Westside.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by nicegirlsarenice View Post
    Automatic is for women.
    wrong automatic cars are for lazy buggers who can't be botherd to learn how to drive

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast