7 18.42%
  • Allow to fade away

5 13.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Irish Language- An Gaeilge

Default Smart alec !

Quote Originally Posted by Alec Horan View Post
    A dead language - a complete waste of time - a waste of taxpayers money - get rid of duplication into Irish and save plenty of money Mr Lenihan.

Get rid of TG4 and put on something useful in English.
    ------------------------------------------------

Yaaarrr , Ye do say the things I believe , but can`t bring meself to say.
    It must be somethin to do with the size of me bollicks.
    Eric the binman must have had a busy day and be snoozing,
    or else he would be a wavin the Tricolour in yer face by now fer that posting.

Quote Originally Posted by capt.pugwash View Post
    Yaaarrr, sorry I am a bit anti Gaelige but Westies experience of it sums it up for me.
    School hours are short enough for this to be a statutory subject.
    The other issue I laugh at is whomever is responsible for keeping it live and creating
    new translated words is somewhat lacking in originality.---- eg --
    CUP OF TEA = CUPAN TAE
    CONDOM = CONDAM
    AIRPORT = AERFORT
    HELICOPTER = HEILEACAPTAR
    FFS , and that was just the first few words I looked up.
    An awful lot of Irish people I talk to are struggling with the Prime language let alone
    learning Irish.
    My maths teacher used to say --- Pytagoras`s Teorem
    well ..its no surprise..here we are ..capt dick head...and his west brit..hate every thing irish buddy..alec langer horan...wat a pair of scabby bastards...after nearly 800 years of ..robbing ..raping ..and trying to distroy our culture..is it any wonder our beautiful language is almost wiped out

Blog Entries

Angry Peig

Quote Originally Posted by luther View Post
    Well said...........

Up with Irish.............

Down with Peig.............
    Peig? Fuck me we had it in school and the fat geit would come into the class and tell us to open such and such a page on Peig.Great but the trouble is we were learning the bloody thing and he would go on and discuss Peig in Irish ?????? I did the proper thing and went away and bought the English version and what a miserable fuckin book.All good news.This person goes to America and Thomas juniors donkey drowns or some other shite. One guy in it had a lovely breakfast and left the house and fell over the cliff.Seriously if your ever depressed i highly recommend Peig to cheer up your day.What a miserable geit. Peig Sayers is seen as some kind of icon in the Blaskets. I see her as nothing but a moaning geit would had to through her troubles on other ppls laps.

Peig goes to the mainland.........oh plz no dont,
    Westside.

Default plastic paddy

Quote Originally Posted by Alec Horan View Post
    A dead language - a complete waste of time - a waste of taxpayers money - get rid of duplication into Irish and save plenty of money Mr Lenihan.

Get rid of TG4 and put on something useful in English.
    your a sad sad sad sad man horan.....in cork we would call ya a langer....u live on the wrong side of the pond....dickhead

Reviews

Modern Irish may be a reconstructed language forcibly taught in schools to thousands of kids who find it difficult to learn, but a nation without a sense of its own culture is a nation without a soul - so preserve Irish and let's not forget that it at least exists!

Default POINT TAKEN --- but

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    Modern Irish may be a reconstructed language forcibly taught in schools to thousands of kids who find it difficult to learn, but a nation without a sense of its own culture is a nation without a soul - so preserve Irish and let's not forget that it at least exists!
    ------------------------------

Yaaarrr , but Ye still have Stout n Leprechauns n Bent Priests n Diddly diddly music ,
    that must be enough "Irish Culture" surely ?

The different pronounciation of Gaelige vowels and word structure has confused the
    understanding of speaking English correctly for many.

Blog Entries

Default Yes but

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    how can you take pride in a language that was for so long used as a tool to use physical punishment on children? Of course this isnt the language but those that taught it but thats the result. If they had used it properly, as a language and did what your saying (have pride in it) then it would be widely used throughout the country. Instead most ppl cant even hold a short conversation in it because it was made into a joke by those who apparently had the most pride in it. Its like the catholic church. Its a complete and utter joke with no comeback.

they speak it backwards anyway,
    Westside.

Reviews

I'm saying I think it should be preserved in some shape or form...

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by capt.pugwash View Post
    The different pronounciation of Gaelige vowels and word structure has confused the understanding of speaking English correctly for many.
    Ahaar, Cap'n, can ye be explainin' what ye mean, ahrrrr?

Blog Entries

Default Westie.....

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    how can you take pride in a language that was for so long used as a tool to use physical punishment on children?
    Can you explain what you mean by this??? I'm not having a go, I'm just wondering why you see it like this...........
    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast