Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Corrupt YES to Lisbon campaign

Blog Entries

Default Smarty, I also see your point........

Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    Luther, while I see your point.

My opinion is as follows, yes it took 800 years and a lot of bloodshed to get the British out but we have had a silent invasion by the EU.

Under EU law it is illegal to give a job to an Irishman in this country ahead of any other citizen in the EU. Therefore a Pole who has had no family connection with Ireland can come to Ireland and take up a Job ahead of an Irish person.
    And in practice what has happened is that a young foreign person who is willing to work every hour god sends, for a lesser rate than his Irish counterpart.

The Irish person may be middle aged and have a family to support here. They need a minimum amount of income to survive, they cannot compete with the younger foreigner who is prepared to share an apartment for 2 to 3 years with another 10 people save every penny and return to Warsaw or whereever and buy a gaff mortage free for 40 to 50K with what they have saved in Ireland.
    Meanwhile the Irish guy ends up on the dole.

You would wonder what the 1916 heros gave their precious life for
    But in fairness, we're not being invaded by Europe, we chose to become part of a community........and were damn glad of it at times........

Now of course I see your points about jobs etc. but we can't pick and choose which parts we like and don't like and at which times it suits us....... it's a package deal.........

It's not the taking the jobs that worries me so much, it's the fraudulent availing of the benefits.....

Like it of not, that were here to fill a gap in the employment sector that some, not all, but some Irish people were to lazy or snobby to do.......... they felt it was beneath them......... I've seen this first hand.......

The Irish filled this gap in many countries around the world, both legally and illegally........

It's now come back to bite many in the ass........

Of course it's not the ideal situation, and of course employers would like to support it's own country men, will all due respect to non nationals employed here, but what are they to do??? Replace the non national with an Irish person that wouldn't take the job a few years ago???

Anyway Smarty, I do see your points...........oh for an ideal world...........

But I'm not debating the yes/no thing, but I think it was wrong to use 1916 as a tactic........that's all......
    Last edited by luther; 21-09-09 at 19:12.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    Unless you have been asleep for the last 2 years you will have noticed that a lot of our jobs have been moving overseas, its a no brainer that the minimum wage here will be reduced, as Ireland needs to compete with the cheaper EU economies this will reduce even further.

out
    If the minimum wage is ever reduced (and I doubt that it will) it will be the IRISH GOVERNMENT reacting to market forces that will change it. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Lisbon Treaty as Coir are claiming. The EU cannot force our Government to lower it and this will remain the case if the Treaty is passed. That's a fact.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Default At Work

In relation to the discussion about jobs when we joined the EU there were 1 million at work in this
    country now there are 2 millon working.Nobody will convince me that we would have this level of employment without the EU ,as then our only main market was the UK.In actual fact instead of
    giving up the Independence we fought for by being in the EU we would still be ruled by the UK
    not by being directly occupied by them but by being economically beholden to them

Blog Entries

Default Well

Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post
    In relation to the discussion about jobs when we joined the EU there were 1 million at work in this
    country now there are 2 millon working.Nobody will convince me that we would have this level of employment without the EU ,as then our only main market was the UK.In actual fact instead of
    giving up the Independence we fought for by being in the EU we would still be ruled by the UK
    not by being directly occupied by them but by being economically beholden to them
    while it may be true that more employment came along with the EU its the distribution of that employment that is questionable.Before EU you will find that most of those employed were employed in domestic industry whereas now its in foreign investment which has dwindled lately leading to the mess we are in.We have fucked up our domestic industry and have grown to rely on foreign industry.While foreign investment is welcome, to bring it in at the expense of our own domestic industry is a disaster.

We are becoming overly realiant on others to control our economy and by voting Lisbon we will be even more realiant on others to control out economy.Its human nature to look after ourselves.The larger powers of the EU will call the shots to suit themselves and not us.

The Irish gov need to focus on Ireland and Irish industry.Jesus we are a small open economy in a strategically advantagous location and we are in a recession with our banking system in shit.That doesnt make sense at all and can only come about with neglect and focus in the wrong areas.

Westside.

Blog Entries

Default Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by *Superman View Post
    If the minimum wage is ever reduced (and I doubt that it will) it will be the IRISH GOVERNMENT reacting to market forces that will change it. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Lisbon Treaty as Coir are claiming. The EU cannot force our Government to lower it and this will remain the case if the Treaty is passed. That's a fact.
    but whats stopping the European parliament bringing about legislation to do this sort of thing and the crowd running this country would vote for it too.

the only reason the politicians of this country want Lisbon is because its a bigger gravy train for them.Its not about the Irish ppl ,its about them and their power and pockets.

history will show this,
    Westside.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post
    I would prefer to have a million jobs, than have 2 million and be in the economic shit that we are in at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    but whats stopping the European parliament bringing about legislation to do this sort of thing and the crowd running this country would vote for it too.

the only reason the politicians of this country want Lisbon is because its a bigger gravy train for them.Its not about the Irish ppl ,its about them and their power and pockets.

history will show this,
    Westside.
    The European Parliament cannot force the Irish Government to change the minimum wage at the moment, and this will remain the case if the Lisbon Treaty is passed. For any group to claim otherwise is a lie. Simple as that.

8. Default

If we vote YES we can blame the government for not getting us out of recession. If we vote NO, every time something goes wrong we will be told its because we voted no to lisbon.

Reviews

Nationalism's a load of shite. We'd have been much better off economically by staying within the Commonwealth. Just cross the border and see their roads for one thing!

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MET-RX View Post
    If we vote YES we can blame the government for not getting us out of recession. If we vote NO, every time something goes wrong we will be told its because we voted no to lisbon.
    That's an excellent point.

That one alone would nearly persuade me to vote yes

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234