Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A controversial q for anyone willing to answer

Blog Entries

Default Well

Quote Originally Posted by piggi View Post
    I think your question is difficult to answer. The Catholicism we grew up with was very much a cultural force in Ireland (the way Judaism is in Israel) as well as a faith. I think many people long ago stopped believing the dogma but kept going to Mass (etc.) partly out of habit, partly out of not giving the neighbours something to say about them and partly out of fear. The latter is important -- fear stands at the back of the room in most religions...it is never emphasised, but it's why people are there!

I can only give you my take on the choices which face you - perhaps it will help, perhaps not:

Conversion is a very old-fashioned idea really. It conjures images of a man denouncing what he once believed and banging on the door of another Church, begging to be accepted while his family, friends and work-mates look on in tears.

As I see it the above is not something which you need to do -- rather, you can pursue your interest in Zen, which is all about cultivating a present awareness and living authentically. Over time I suspect that as you cultivate this authentic way of being the Catholicism will simply fade away of its own accord. Certainly the need to call yourself something (Catholic, Krishna, Jew, etc.) will also diminish.

Spiritual development is a sort of unfolding, marked by changes in our experience of life. Go with it and let the details take care of themselves!
    thats a great post and answer.

On the subject of fear,this is something that never troubled me.Now i am not putting myself above whatever is up there but i have a far bigger fear of not listening to my instincts and regretting them later in life than following the habits of the past.

Another thing too is the subject of marraige if it ever popped (the marraige that is)up.What happens when two ppl of differing religons meet and decide to marry?Surely one must convert to the other.

Like she'll have a choice,
    Westside.
    Last edited by Westsidex; 03-07-09 at 19:58.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post

thats a great post and answer.
    How kind of you

Reviews

What happens when two ppl of differing religons meet and decide to marry?Surely one must convert to the other.
    Well, it is important to know which faith the children will learn, etc.

But I believe that when two people are in love these things can be worked out easily enough.

Brings to mind the old Kenny Everett gag:

Should Priests be allowed to marry?

Only if they really love each other!

Blog Entries

Default Your welcome piggy

How kind of you
    What a great post.Well im as amazed as you are.

Mircles can happen ppl,they happen to piggi so can happen to you.

Ummmmmm,
    Westside.
    Last edited by Westsidex; 03-07-09 at 20:02. Reason: Spelling :-(

Reviews

... they happen to piggi so can happen to you.

Ummmmmm,
    Westside.
    Tee-hee

Reviews

I think your question is difficult to answer. The Catholicism we grew up with was very much a cultural force in Ireland (the way Judaism is in Israel) as well as a faith. I think many people long ago stopped believing the dogma but kept going to Mass (etc.) partly out of habit, partly out of not giving the neighbours something to say about them and partly out of fear. The latter is important -- fear stands at the back of the room in most religions...it is never emphasised, but it's why people are there!

I can only give you my take on the choices which face you - perhaps it will help, perhaps not:

Conversion is a very old-fashioned idea really. It conjures images of a man denouncing what he once believed and banging on the door of another Church, begging to be accepted while his family, friends and work-mates look on in tears.

As I see it the above is not something which you need to do -- rather, you can pursue your interest in Zen, which is all about cultivating a present awareness and living authentically. Over time I suspect that as you cultivate this authentic way of being the Catholicism will simply fade away of its own accord. Certainly the need to call yourself something (Catholic, Krishna, Jew, etc.) will also diminish.

Spiritual development is a sort of unfolding, marked by changes in our experience of life. Go with it and let the details take care of themselves!
    Piggi that's the most intelligent post I've seen here for a long time. You've evn out done QPH and that's no mean feat. Your wisdom has been wasted over on IIE
    Help Keyla in her fight with cancer. Every little helps.
    It could happen to any of us.
    https://gofund.me/8e340537

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by thehighwayman View Post
    Piggi that's the most intelligent post I've seen here for a long time. You've evn out done QPH and that's no mean feat. Your wisdom has been wasted over on IIE
    Now that's what I call QUALITY moderation!!

How are things, big guy?

Reviews

Not too bad buddy. I knew listening to Jake would've come in handy all those years
    Help Keyla in her fight with cancer. Every little helps.
    It could happen to any of us.
    https://gofund.me/8e340537

Reviews

I tink religion in general is in a serious decline.i was brought up the catholic way but never actually believed it.evoulution makes more sense than any religion so thats wat i believe in,not one almighty power,bullshit.religion has been the source and continue to be the source of most of the killing lying and abuse of this world.i honestly tink dat if there was no such thing as religion the world wud be a much better place and andy murray mite hav won today.seriously but nearly all wars in the present time are based on religion
    mam mammy mam mam mam mammy

Blog Entries

Angry Piggi from IIE?????????????????

Now that's what I call QUALITY moderation!!

How are things, big guy?
    The buddha loves noone.Piss off ya traitor.

Westside.

PS tell Jake i still have his Valentines Card.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast