Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Black lives matter' protest in Dublin

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbean76 View Post
    Black lives matter, I agree with that 100%.

I saw something on YouTube a couple of days ago, it was a young white lady commenting on the current situation in America. She said something that made me think.

She said that white people can't understand what black people have to endure and have endured for centuries solely because of the colour of their skin. White people have never faced slavery, oppression, racism for being white. They have been invaded and conquered and oppressed but for monetary reasons, not because of the colour of their skin.

Those police officers involved in the death of Mr Floyd should be tried and convicted of murder. They deserve no mercy, they showed none to that man.

I'm well aware that I'm speaking as a white privileged individual, living on the other side of the Atlantic, away from the riots and violence that is sweeping across the United States at the moment. I agree with and understand that people have had enough and are outraged at the death of yet another black man while in police custody but the rioting and looting serves no purpose. The majority of protesters are trying to make their voices heard in a peaceful way but as always there's a minority hell bent on causing anarchy.

The rioting has claimed the lives of several people, the looting has destroyed the lives of many more. It serves no purpose, all the tension is dividing communities even further. It's causing more hate, distrust and resentment. There is no quick easy solution to what's going on, a good start would be to not re-elect that buffoon Trump!!

Anyway looking at what's going on I'm certainly glad to be Irish, our little country isn't so bad after all.
    White people have never faced oppression ? Look toward the north , I know a few Taigs who would vehemently disagree.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wolverine For This Useful Post:

beautyaddict (08-06-20), Corsasport (08-06-20)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    White people have never faced oppression ? Look toward the north , I know a few Taigs who would vehemently disagree.
    I said never faced oppression solely because of the colour of their skin. What happened up north and still happens to some extent is due to many reasons that I won't go into here but it's not because anyone is white.
    We have two lives , the second begins when we realise we only have one .....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrbean76 For This Useful Post:

Cassandra (06-07-20)

Reviews

I said never faced oppression solely because of the colour of their skin. What happened up north and still happens to some extent is due to many reasons that I won't go into here but it's not because anyone is white.
    A great comfort to those who mourn their loved ones killed by the RUC. Thank God it wasn't racism responsible for their deaths.

Reviews

A great comfort to those who mourn their loved ones killed by the RUC. Thank God it wasn't racism responsible for their deaths.
    I hear what you're saying but you're missing the point.
    We have two lives , the second begins when we realise we only have one .....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrbean76 For This Useful Post:

Wolverine (08-06-20)

Reviews

I hear what you're saying but you're missing the point.
    No. Just expressing a view that bigotry and hatred is not always color based and just as serious.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wolverine For This Useful Post:

beautyaddict (08-06-20), Mrbean76 (08-06-20)

The ultimate measure of a person is not where they stand in moments of comfort and convenience,but where they stand at times challenge and controversy.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeletedMuser For This Useful Post:

beautyaddict (08-06-20), Cassandra (06-07-20)

I have seen you persistently pursue those of differing opinions on several threads demanding explanations for their comments. I think one poster described you as a dog with a bone. When you yourself are held to the same standards you whimper about being targeted for who you are claiming some kind of victim status.

How sad.

No accusations of ageism were directed at you despite the fact that the actions you endorse would have a very serious impact on their health and safety.

Get down off your high horse and take a long hard look in the mirror.

I repeat my earlier question to you. How many infections and deaths will you deem acceptable in this country for your show of disapproval for a crime commited in another state ?
    The fact that you refer to posts on other threads proves my point that you specifically targeted me as you seem to have some personal axe to grind. There was a number of posters prior to the point you joined the discussion who openly "endorsed" the march, why didn't you challenge them? In fact if you read my posts you will find I clearly stated that I agreed with the spirit of the march but questioned whether this was the right time for it due to the current pandemic.

What I have done on this thread is what I have done all my adult life is that I have challenged obvious racism. But I forgot of course it's "absolutely ridiculous" to think that there's any racism on here!

If you genuinely cannot see racism on this thread from the two posts I highlighted earlier to you to the dog whistling "all lives matter", "not only white people are racist" and your own little beauty "white people face oppression too" , then I think Cassandra hit the nail on the head!

My suggestion to you would be to heed the advice of Abraham Lincoln " it is better to stay silent and thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt".

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mrcumalot For This Useful Post:

Cassandra (03-09-20)

That is your dream.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about issues that matter.Stand together with love as humans

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeletedMuser For This Useful Post:

beautyaddict (08-06-20)

Reviews

All lives matter regardless of colour or race and I support the right to peaceful protest,
    but once you start looting and burning property
    and spreading disease
    you've lost the argument.
    Last edited by philipkntz; 08-06-20 at 14:05.
    My wife caught me wearing ladies underwear and threatened to leave me.
    So I packed up all her clothes
    And left.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast