Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate change and Greta Thunberg.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    One environmental issue has been weighing on my mind of late. The call to reduce our beef industry.

What will happen to the green areas where cattle graze and what industries will take their place ?

Farmers aren't just going to give up that land as a nature preserve.

Is there a plan or is this more thoughtless virtue signalling that could result with a far worse conseqences ?
    Farmers can grow more than just animals.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSarahBarra View Post
    That has nothing to do with my question

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo76 View Post
    There's a lot to unpack there. Most of Greenland is ice covered and melting. It is in the Arctic. The statement that Antarctica is cooling is also a very very dubious one, though it is true that Antarctica is less affected to date by global warming, probably because it is so cold there that warming effects will take longer to see impact. The locations where the cooling has been seen are at the south pole research station which is really far away from the oceans the suggested reasons for seeing this cooling are many and complex but in the end inconclusive. However the Antarctic Peninsula and western Antarctica have warmed and since records begun and measurements began there about 80 years ago the average temperatures are higher and the ocean has warmed significantly.

However to your point, the Arctic cap melting would not add to sea level rise, but all that cold fresh water entering the North Atlantic could put the gulfstream at risk and if that happened, we'd know all about it.
    Antarctica is getting bigger, however still a reasonable answer. However I'm still sceptical. There are several reputable scientists that dispute sea levels rising.
    And my limited research into this, has me dubious.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Recent periods in the earth's past were not as warm as it is now. We know this from records and from tree-ring data and so on. The last five years—from 2014 to 2018—are the warmest years ever recorded. Most likely the earth is warmer now than at any time that humans have existed. 2019 looks like it will continue the trend. The temperature has been rising steadily since the industrial revolution and it is still rising. Global warming is not about "ice-ages" or cyclical changes. It is about burning fossil-fuels and increasing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. It is also about deforestation; the removal of the trees that absorb carbon dioxide and breathe out oxygen. The move carbon dioxide = more greenhouse effect and more heat. Short of us being hit by a large meteorite or a catastrophic large volcanic eruption or similar, (which we certainly do not want) the temperature is set to keep on rising as green-house gases increase.
    I have seen several videos on YouTube that actually dispute this from so-called reputable scientists.
    I certainly wouldn't claim to be an expert on this but I do find it interesting that there is a lot of biased reporting in the media

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    Antarctica is getting bigger, however still a reasonable answer. However I'm still sceptical. There are several reputable scientists that dispute sea levels rising.
    And my limited research into this, has me dubious.
    Well try living in Rosslare, or doonbeg. I wouldn't be investing in waterfront property...

Reviews

If Trump, his knuckle dragging followers , his posh ass licker Piers Morgan , them whack jobs the westboro Baptist fucks all dislike this young woman then by god she's sound in my book

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j81 For This Useful Post:

beautyaddict (26-09-19)

Reviews

Farmers can grow more than just animals.
    I'd need something a bit more definitive and concrete than that to back a change.

This land we have doesn't support a wide variety of crops to grow.

Should the countries who don't hold the clean and humane methods that we do be allowed to rule the beef market ?

I don't think you understand the value of what you are throwing away either.
    Last edited by Wolverine; 26-09-19 at 16:18.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    I'd need something a bit more definitive and concrete than that to back a change.

This land we have doesn't support a wide variety of crops to grow.

Should the countries who don't hold the clean and humane methods that we do be allowed to rule the beef market ?

I don't think you understand the value of what you are throwing away either.
    Well now you're talking about a communist society with mandates on what to farm? I don't get where you've coming from, there's endless options of what to grow, and if farmers can't sell meat then they will grow whatever the market demands.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gonzo76 For This Useful Post:

TonyB (26-09-19)

Reviews

Well try living in Rosslare, or doonbeg. I wouldn't be investing in waterfront property...
    Really. That's interesting. Tell me more

Reviews

Well now you're talking about a communist society with mandates on what to farm? I don't get where you've coming from, there's endless options of what to grow, and if farmers can't sell meat then they will grow whatever the market demands.
    Name some crops or maybe someone else can suggest viable options without the drama.

Rather than admit no thought has been put into alternatives by those who demand change you give me the commie label.

Sweet.
    Last edited by Wolverine; 26-09-19 at 16:49.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast