Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin McGuinness has died

Hi guys,

Waking up this morning hearing the death of Martin McGuinness, I knew that this was a thread I was expecting to see.
    This of course is a thread of mixed feeling and thoughts about a man and his past, but please do try and respect each others opinions.

People were killed all over UK and Ireland and that is the past.
    The past is there to remember and not to forget. If you forget the past, then we are more likely going to live it again.

This goes to show that violence isn't the answer and arguing on the thread isn't going to bring back the dead.
    People need to remember only and not to fight each other about it, the fighting as stopped, lets hope it stays stopped.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Floki For This Useful Post:

Barney Rubble (21-03-17), tom rambo (21-03-17)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by meatloaf2 View Post
    Well he was a friend as he allowed a knocking shop over the Sinn Fein Office in Dundalk, a friend of the forum he was and what fun was had because of him
    I love knocking Shops,

Quote Originally Posted by EIFII View Post
    What nonsense. We should discuss and share views in a respectful and appropriate manner
    I disagree. How do you discuss a man like martin without being confrontational, You cant.
    I will rise you're nonsense and add ludicrous.

I'm done with this thread.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    That is one opinion Annabel.
    My opinion is that things would have evolved a lot better if there had been no violence. As well as the loss of life, the alienation of the "Unionist Community" will take a generation at least to overcome.
    Another example of violence not only solving nothing but causing more problems. To a certain extent he acknowledged that himself when he became a politician.
    To make a hero out of him as a man of violence, I believe, is to glorify that violence. And to claim that the “only way” was violence is even worse.
    I am not condoning the violence. I However understand why that option was took during that time. No side hasnt got blood on there hands. But ireland was a country that was occupied for a very long time with harsh conditions from the british empire for vast Periods of time. we in republic didnt live in those times having indepence thru a similar story bullet to ballot box. The complexaties of the north are too many for anyone to umderstand. However my comment on him been a hero was not due to his past but him making peace for greater good violence is easy but that was not it showed massive courage and open mindness for all concerned. What better men to broker peace pasiley and martin. A target painted on both for doing so.
    To me that is a brave act without it life on north could of continued its easy to say well the ira shouldnt have happened but either should have scottish planters or the opression of catholics or british occupation or even or own republic because that was won in part by violent actions againist british occupations war sometimes in unavoidable not saying that is right or wrong but thats just life we do not live in a perfect world. But all that has happened now peace has been made people need to move on be glad of the peace brought on by.men like mcguiness, by a war started long before his time
    Last edited by annabel taylor; 21-03-17 at 14:44.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to annabel taylor For This Useful Post:

alcatel (21-03-17), Barney Rubble (21-03-17), Best Before (21-03-17), blue rebel (21-03-17), rory81 (22-03-17)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by DearJohn1 View Post
    I disagree. How do you discuss a man like martin without being confrontational, You cant.
    I will rise you're nonsense and add ludicrous.

I'm done with this thread.
    He was certainly controversial, but that is not the same as being confrontational. He clearly had good and bad sides, much like the rest of the human race

Blog Entries

I respect him for what he stood up for but he turned into your typical politician. Just like Adams has. I lost a lot of respect for sf. They will be another labour.

Westside.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by EIFII View Post
    No Barney I disagree. Whilst no one can judge, violence always leads to more misery, pain and suffering, and only begets more violence and retribution
    I disagree with you also as sometimes in life you have to meet violence with violence , maybe it is called
    standing up for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Best Before View Post
    Interesting the different points of views on here. And to argue that Martin McGuinness didn't have blood on his hands fighting for something he felt passionate about, would be futile. But I would have far more respect for a man that was willing to put his own life on the line for his beliefs than the likes of Tony Blair, George Bush and Barack Obama, who hide behind bureaucracy, and phony wars, all under the guise of national security. Who here can say Michael Collins didn't have blood on his hands either!!
    I believe History will be kind to Martin McGuinness and he was instrumental to bringing peace to northern Ireland and that will be his legacy.

PS: I didn't know Martin McGuinness personally, unlike my fellow forum member Tom!!
    but none of them are hero's, Martin McGuinness had no other option left and then theres the big salaries too, They look after themselves, he done f*ck all and lets not forget he helped bring in the new law Criminalising clients too in NI. His legacy will be he never give peace to those that were murdered by the IRA, the bodies of loved ones and where the location they were buried. He knew he was dying and was not even man enough to give some peace and closure to the Families of the innocent victims caught up in the troubles
    Last edited by TheKnight; 21-03-17 at 16:06.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKnight View Post
    but none of them are hero's, Martin McGuinness had no other option left and then theres the big salaries too, They look after themselves, he done f*ck all and lets not forget he helped bring in the new law Criminalising clients too in NI. His legacy will be he never give peace to those that were murdered by the IRA, the bodies of loved ones and where the location they were buried. He knew he was dying and was not even man enough to give some peace and closure to the Families of the innocent victims caught up in the troubles
    I don't recall calling him a Hero. But I do admire the bloke for what he stood for. I only drew a comparison with the others which could be argued have far more blood on their hands without ever having fired a shot!!
    We can agree to differ on this one.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Best Before View Post
    I don't recall calling him a Hero. But I do admire the bloke for what he stood for. I only drew a comparison with the others which could be argued have far more blood on their hands without ever having fired a shot!!
    We can agree to differ on this one.
    other here called him a hero, someone to admire, a very cunning man, he was running out of options and for a man that hated the Brits he had no problem accepting the queens head (money) and implementing their policies in Northern Ireland, a great man indeed

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast