Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Gay cake' appeal: Christian bakers Ashers lose appeal

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by justfrank44 View Post
    But that is not what happened though , is it? they accepted the booking, then said no because of the content. If they had just said no at the outset and not given a reason, there would have been no problem.
    As for the customer, maybe he was trying to make a show of ashers, but that does not make him " a politically correct nazi who gets off on enforcing my beliefs on others" Really all he asked for was for a cake to be decorated, hardly forcing his beliefs on others. And remember, it was ashers who have kept it all going, by letting it go to court, appealing and maybe even trying to go to a higher court.
    IMO flat refusal with no reasons would be more discriminatory and plain rude (but perfectly legal). He didn't just ask for decoration on the cake he asked for a cake with a slogan promoting an ideology.
    If someone doesn't want to support that ideology why should they ?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    IMO flat refusal with no reasons would be more discriminatory and plain rude (but perfectly legal). He didn't just ask for decoration on the cake he asked for a cake with a slogan promoting an ideology.
    If someone doesn't want to support that ideology why should they ?
    How are they supporting it?

Reviews

How are they supporting it?
    By decorating the cake with the slogan.
    Would you agree to make a slogan promoting an ideology that you felt would have a negative effect on society ?

Reviews

Would you agree to make a slogan promoting an ideology that you felt would have a negative effect on society ?
    They did! And then changed their minds. And then gave a pseudo political/religious reason for doing so, thus setting themselves up as martyrs.

Reviews

As long as it was legal and I was being paid for it then yes.Especially if I undertake to provide a specific service for payment. And by the way agreeing to decorate the cake is not the same as promoting the cause it was intended for. If that is the case then a manchester united fan cannot provide any kind of service to a liverpool fan without showing support for another team.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to justfrank44 For This Useful Post:

tom sand (26-10-16)

Reviews

As long as it was legal and I was being paid for it then yes.Especially if I undertake to provide a specific service for payment. And by the way agreeing to decorate the cake is not the same as promoting the cause it was intended for. If that is the case then a manchester united fan cannot provide any kind of service to a liverpool fan without showing support for another team.
    Judge made that point in slightly different words.

Reviews

So football teams are relevant to this discussion but not political beliefs such as Sinn fein/DUP ?
    I don't believe you and I will will find much common ground on this topic.
    Good evening to you sir

Reviews

So football teams are relevant to this discussion but not political beliefs such as Sinn fein/DUP ?
    I don't believe you and I will will find much common ground on this topic.
    Good evening to you sir
    You failed to show the relevance of dup and sinn fein to the thread,All I did was show how giving support to a cause or team is different to providing a service. And unlike you, i am not trying to find common ground here,just trying to explain why I think your opinion is wrong.

Reviews

You failed to show the relevance of dup and sinn fein to the thread,All I did was show how giving support to a cause or team is different to providing a service. And unlike you, i am not trying to find common ground here,just trying to explain why I think your opinion is wrong.
    Sinn fein/DUP have more to do with promoting ideological beliefs than football teams.
    Was just trying to be polite. Your arrogance really is astounding.

Reviews

Sinn fein/DUP have more to do with promoting ideological beliefs than football teams.
    Was just trying to be polite. Your arrogance really is astounding.
    No, your comment re sf/dup was about discrimination, not about promoting ideological beliefs. And even if it were, no one asked ashers, nor is there any evidence of , anyone asking ashers to support anything. All that was asked was for them to decorate a cake, a service which they openly advertised.
    Not looking to get into personal attacks, so I will leave you accusation of arrogance to one side.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast