Thread: Who do the YES campaigners think they are?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by dob View Post
    This has been a pathetic campaign from both sides. The yes side pushing some very woolly arguments the no side rebutting with some red herrings.
    The very title 'marriage equality referendum' set the tone, a crime against the English language.

The fact of the matter is that over a time the importance of marriage has diminished. It will come to a point that co-habiting couples will have the same rights under the law as married people once they have children or have lived together for a set period of time.

I'm voting no as I haven't been convinced of the merits of changing the status quo
    Baffled by your argument, your not convinced by the arguments on either side, they, to be fair whether you agree or not are clear in the main. The referendum title to me is as clear as day and appropriate, its exactly what we are voting for :-)marriage equality for all or marriage just being for straight couples.
    Your voting no out of fear of changing the status quo, thank god people didnt think that during the divorce refferendums, eu foundation etc.
    Society has to evolve, thankfully it is no longer illegal to be gay,it is acceptable to be an unmarried mother and hopefully after tomorow we will have moved on enough to say that yes you can marry the person you love. The biggest risk to society is people wanting to keep the status quo

Too many people are hypocrites in this country ( this is not in response to your note dob and i am not reffering to you but to general audience) i wouldnt be surprised at how many people will vote no, try to justify it by saying things like the arguments werent strong enough or keeping status quo when bottom line is if you need to be persuaded its because you are more likely a no thinker anyway, if you believe in full equality there should be no need to convince you of anything.
    I cannot agree with a no vote but i fundementally defend a right to say no, lets just everyone come out and say the real reasons, like catholic church or just a belief that you dont agree with full gay rights.
    For a working evolved society we need to be able to accept all people but also their views, a no voters opninion is just as important to a yes voters but where i believe referendums differ perhaps there should be a yes box, no box and objector box. I dont think it is right to stop gay people getting married if that is what they want to do, it doesnt concern anyone else but people should have the right to record their objection /opinion
    Last edited by xcitedcork; 21-05-15 at 11:41.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xcitedcork For This Useful Post:

justfrank44 (21-05-15), pigsmickey (21-05-15)