Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alcohol abuse

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Maybe they could Re-invest these Billions in Businesses that are Life Positive instead of Life Destructive

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to simon2280 For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (16-04-15), Lucy Chambers (16-04-15), Naughtynatalie (16-04-15), SmallHorn (16-04-15)

Quote Originally Posted by SmallHorn View Post
    Wouldnt be much of a business plan though would it?

What, giving away one percent of your profits to care for the people your product has made so desperately ill? Um...possibly not. However as the governments of the west are pretty handy with taxing profits on most things, perhaps a small tax increase will take the pain away? Watch the documentary and then tell me I'm wrong
    If life gives you lemons ask for Tequila

Only sad bastards seek gratification from signatures

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucy Chambers For This Useful Post:

simon2280 (16-04-15)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lucy chambers View Post
    What, giving away one percent of your profits to care for the people your product has made so desperately ill? Um...possibly not. However as the governments of the west are pretty handy with taxing profits on most things, perhaps a small tax increase will take the pain away? Watch the documentary and then tell me I'm wrong
    I wasn't disagreeing by any means.

I meant what employee of these huge companies is going to push an idea of giving away profits.
    Asking for demotion!

Same for tobacco companies.

Who to go after next?

Food suppliers because they make people obese?

Send nudes

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SmallHorn For This Useful Post:

Lucy Chambers (16-04-15)

I wasn't disagreeing by any means.

I meant what employee of these huge companies is going to push an idea of giving away profits.
    Asking for demotion!

Same for tobacco companies.

Who to go after next?

Food suppliers because they make people obese?
    Yes please. Let's start with Macdonalds. The tax from cigarettes is already supposed to cover the costs of care, but I'm a little unsure it actually does, I thinkit more likely it doesn't.

My problem with all this is illicit drugs are rightly illegal. The biggest killer of all has a shiny lovable face and an ad campaign running into millions. The first step to effect change is to start talking about it, no?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucy Chambers For This Useful Post:

Naughtynatalie (16-04-15)

Reviews

Yes please. Let's start with Macdonalds. The tax from cigarettes is already supposed to cover the costs of care, but I'm a little unsure it actually does, I thinkit more likely it doesn't.

My problem with all this is illicit drugs are rightly illegal. The biggest killer of all has a shiny lovable face and an ad campaign running into millions. The first step to effect change is to start talking about it, no?
    Nah thats taking it to far in my opinion, where does self control come into play?

I know some mentioned above are addictions but where you draw the line?

The consumer is equally to blame for any inflictions caused by products no?

Send nudes

Nah thats taking it to far in my opinion, where does self control come into play?

I know some mentioned above are addictions but where you draw the line?

The consumer is equally to blame for any inflictions caused by products no?
    That's too easy though. Why aren't we all allowed to buy heroin? I don't believe alcoholism is an addiction, I believe it's a disease. Not really sure where I stand on stuffing yourself with food, I guess that's a little different but possibly just the same to the victim.
    Last edited by lucy chambers; 16-04-15 at 19:23.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucy Chambers For This Useful Post:

Reviews

Actually Diageo have approached the Irish Government with an offer to help on this precise issue. However I believe they have been rebuffed by the relevant NGO because they would prefer to stand tall on the moral high ground rather than accept "tainted" money from a major player in the drinks industry. It may (or may not) be a genuine offer and desire to help from one of the main protagonists in Ireland's excessive drinking culture. Let's put them to the test, and may be help some people who could genuinely do with it, and free up some of our 52% marginal rate of tax to do something else...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to EIFII For This Useful Post:

Cassandra (16-04-15)

Quote Originally Posted by EIFII View Post
    Actually Diageo have approached the Irish Government with an offer to help on this precise issue. However I believe they have been rebuffed by the relevant NGO because they would prefer to stand tall on the moral high ground rather than accept "tainted" money from a major player in the drinks industry. It may (or may not) be a genuine offer and desire to help from one of the main protagonists in Ireland's excessive drinking culture. Let's put them to the test, and may be help some people who could genuinely do with it, and free up some of our 52% marginal rate of tax to do something else...
    That's interesting. Crazy to say no to the help but not to the tax.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by EIFII View Post

Would that be the same Diageo that invested (invented?) in a national day to bolster their drink sales?

http://alcoholireland.ie/home_news/m...s-arthurs-day/

Forgive me if I'm somewhat sceptical as to their offer of help.
    Last edited by Jiberjabber; 16-04-15 at 19:42.

Reviews

The illicit drug model favoured by many governments to date is actually counter productive,
    especially with popular, soft drugs.

Would prohibition of alcohol improve the situation?
    Last edited by warmcome; 16-04-15 at 20:26.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast