Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 'Cultural Tourism'

Blog Entries

so passive aggressive patronising is attractive!

Different strokes for different folks eh.
    Last edited by Naughtynatalie; 27-02-15 at 04:09. Reason: Although some people find shit a turn on, oh what a world we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by justfrank44 View Post
    We are naturally inclined to go exploring other countries and civilisations, And with this comes the meeting of other people.

It's just natural.

And sticking our noses into other peoples business is natural too. And it's a downhill spiral from there.

If I remember correctly, you once posted that you went to everest ? This is a type of tourism that has changed

the lives of the locals, and the beauty of the mountain, we want to go somewhere different and experience something

different, we have to be mindful of the cost.
    Totally agree with you : be mindful of the cost ! >>

I was on Everest in 2001 , and remember being shocked to see all the garbage along the trails !

Remember walking up to a village and hearing Bob Marley blaring from a stereo.

Also remember schools that were built by foreigners , and 'eye programs' to restore vision by surgery.

I was in Nepal for three months , and yes , there's definitely a plus / minus to 'intruding' into another cultures .

Local culture will irreversibly be altered once the locals become dependent on visitors : I remember young kids

lining the trail as it goes through the village , hawking ballpoint pens : some well meaning tourists (or NGOs) have

given them the pens for school , and so the kids turned around trying to sell them. The oddest thing.

Was a great time , a great trip though ; my first 'big' adventure , shocking in many ways (while in Kathmandu , the royal

family was massacred , there was several days' curfew , violent protests , tear gas whafting into the hotel courtyard ) ...

Keep thinking of wanting to go back , but I'm fearful of how much the place (and people) might have changed ,

I'm not sure I'd want to see the 'progress' .
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Cable87 (27-02-15)

Me things these ladies could do particularly well in Ireland at least they look different and the lads would like them for a change

Quote Originally Posted by Cable87 View Post
    Excellent read xx

Got six pages in.
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Cable87 (27-02-15)

Reviews

Just bust in there and build a factory if a profit can be made.
    I think Australia and North America were less than considerate about their respective indigenous peoples.
    'Cultural tourism' could be a visit to meet you, Stephanie. x

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345