Quote Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
I think there is little doubt what way this government feels about the proposed legislation. The previous minister, Alan Shatter, had a more balanced approach, judging by the figures from his department on trafficking etc. As others have said, I salute any sex worker who is brave enough to raise their head above the parapet and speak out. I know as a client I would find it difficult to do.

If, as seems to be the case, the legislation is a foregone conclusion, then the only avenue left is for a constitutional challenge to the proposed legislation if enacted. Others have previously pointed out, under our constitution you cannot criminalise half a transaction. This would be a very clear route, unlike the UK and North we have a written constitutions. The drawbacks are that it would be a costly process and would involve someone publicly fronting the challenge. i.e. a client who risks being criminalised!!!!

Only my thoughts, and again well done to any ladies who have/had the guts to meet politicians/journos etc.
In the Committee Meeting I raised this very issue with Bacik , and my quiry was simply brushed aside as if moot ,

her saying that my information re constitutionality was incorrect.

Can they do that ?

Simply disregard the Constitution for their gain , and hope no one will challenge them ?

What a silly exercise !