Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebola in Europe / US.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Versace Targeryan For This Useful Post:

Meursault (07-10-14), tom rambo (08-10-14)

NHS says they have measures in place to identify and manage if such infection arrives etc.

Yet :

A month or so ago I was in a London hospital , and while there I asked one of the nurses what protocol they have in place.

In our lengthy conversation she said that Ebola has been mentioned recently at one of the weekly staff meetings ,

but there is no prearranged plan of action , a per planned protocol in effect to handle a patient presenting with symptoms.

I found this tremendously alarming even a month or so ago , especially considering the very international and

ethnically varied and highly mobile population of such a large metropolitan city , that is a global travel hub to boost.
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Cable87 (07-10-14), Meursault (07-10-14), tom rambo (08-10-14)

"The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation" - Henry David Thoreau.

"The evil in the world comes almost always from ignorance, and goodwill can cause as much damage as ill-will if it is not enlightened. People are more often good than bad, though in fact that is not the question. But they are more or less ignorant and this is what one calls vice or virtue, the most appalling vice being the ignorance that thinks it knows everything and which consequently authorizes itself to kill. The murderer's soul is blind, and there is no true goodness or fine love without the greatest possible degree of clear-sightedness.”
    ― Albert Camus, The Plague

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meursault For This Useful Post:

tom rambo (08-10-14), warmcome (07-10-14)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Meursault View Post
    quite, quite...what does that mean?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to warmcome For This Useful Post:

Meursault (07-10-14)

Quote Originally Posted by warmcome View Post
    quite, quite...what does that mean?
    there is no point worrying because this is what the unpredictability of life throws up. almost like the consequence of existence

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meursault For This Useful Post:

tom rambo (08-10-14), warmcome (07-10-14)

no offence to Liberia. but what kind of cesspit do these diseases emerge from?
    could it be man made and released to control population etc?

The jungle !

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    The jungle !
    so does tea tree oil?
    Last edited by warmcome; 07-10-14 at 21:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Cable87 View Post
    I'd read this article earlier today Miss Stephanie, and it definitely got me concerned:

http://rt.com/news/193900-ebola-spread-inevitable-wto/

They're predicting a VERY HIGH likelihood that Ebola will reach France and the U.K. About the spread of the disease itself, I found this rather troubling:

The most dangerous contributor to the spread is the behavior of the virus. Its symptoms catch people unawares and normally follow a 21-day incubation period, during which there’s literally no visible sign the person has contracted Ebola.

This is further complicated by the EU’s free movement system – one can literally infect anyone they come into contact with in the space of a few days if they were to drive or fly from one country to another.

“It is quite unavoidable ... that such incidents will happen in the future because of the extensive travel both from Europe to the affected countries and the other way around,”

But the worst part to me is this:

WHO has so far placed no restrictions on flights to the worst-affected countries. While British Airways and Emirates are no longer flying there, Air France has only suspended flights to Sierra Leone – not Liberia, Guinea or Nigeria (though air crews were recently offered the option to refuse flying to those destinations).

Additionally, patients who have contacted the disease in West Africa have been repatriated for treatment – such as the two missionaries who died in September in Spain – one of whom infected a 44-year-old Spanish nurse who was diagnosed on Monday.

So then, we've got a 21 day incubation period for the virus with NO SYMPTOMS, there are still NO TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS to the most badly affected countries implemented by the World Health Organization, and the completely free and unrestricted movement system within the E.U. means that an infected person can come into the E.U. with no symptoms, travel anywhere they like throughout the E.U., coming into close contact with hundreds (if not thousands) of people, potentially exposing all of them to Ebola.

Travel restrictions need to be put in place, it's as simple as that--at least for a start.
    CDC / WHO predicting 1.4 million cases by January 2015 unless serious uptic in preventative measures implemented x

So is anybody concerned about travel ?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Cable87 (07-10-14)

Reviews

no offence to Liberia. but what kind of cesspit do these diseases emerge from?
    could it be man made and released to control population etc?
    To control population doubt it ......to make money for drug companies who develop antidotes and treatments ....

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast