Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dads . Fathers. Et al. xx

Quote Originally Posted by Deven View Post
    My father is one of the reasons I feel as lucky as I do for the family I have. A stealth dad? that may be very apt way of describing him. He has always been there but like a father teaching their child to ride a bike he is there supporting me and my siblings even when we think we are going alone, always a steady hand if we ever wobble.

I have always got on very well with my father, he has been a strength when I needed it and we always talked but it wasn't until my twenty's that I really got to know him as much as I do now. When I was younger we got along great but I always though we were quiet different, he was more out doors hands on sort of man, me not so much. However I am surprised just how alike in thought we are, I can see myself reflected in him and even if I am not quite the man he is I am proud to be as they say "my fathers son".

Been alike has its draw backs too as we share some of the same negative traits and the only one as stubborn as me at times is him but I will be proud of myself if I make as good of a father as him.

I say he is all those.
    If you are much alike , he must be a good man so xxxx
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

I was lucky, my father was in the true sense a gentle man, often unassuming, quite yet strong, he gave me the most wonderful gift, his time.
    I once asked him if he ever worried about us, he said no, always knew we would come good, so I said he did a good job, his answer, just a wry smile, miss him.
    Last edited by Vitruvian; 15-06-14 at 00:45.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vitruvian For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (15-06-14), Deven (15-06-14)

Reviews

My dad is a great man, and very humble.

He is strong yet gentle. Firm yet never judgmental.

He has always lead by example. He makes me want to be a better man.

Being a typical bloke I never tell him enough how much I love him and how much he means to me. Thankfully on fathers day I have an excuse!

This sentimentality is in part due to the fact that I realize that I will not have him forever, and that his years are limited.

Happy father's day all you dads out there!!
    "Don't be reckless with other people’s hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morpheus For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (15-06-14), Deven (15-06-14)

Reviews

Stealth dad to me means playing second fiddle to mom! Then my dad was a stealth dad- I adored him when I was young and even after that - he ensured that the 'litter' of us did well in the education system in order to do well in life and we all had a good start because of this - he wasn't perfect by any standard but we all loved him!
    Last edited by Clueless; 15-06-14 at 02:01. Reason: Spelling!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clueless For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (15-06-14)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post

What kind of man was your father ? xx
    My father died when I was quite young, when I didn't know any better. I suppose I idolised him then, but I've come to see that he had feet of clay; not his fault perhaps, his own upbringing was probably responsible. If he was present, he was emotionally absent, emotions were things for other people. He saw me as the essential necessity to continue the family line; but my sister, who's a few years younger, was a luxury. It wasn't until years after his death that I realised how cruel he had been to my mother; not physically, but emotionally, and more neglect than anything active.

In a way, he was absent for much of my life, though it wasn't all bad. He did teach me some useful things. But he never, never once, played football with me.

Being a father isn't easy when you didn't have a decent role model. I think I've been reasonably successful with the eldest, but it goes downhill from there.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Empirical For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (15-06-14), Deven (15-06-14), Stephanie (15-06-14)

Quote Originally Posted by Vitruvian View Post
    I was lucky, my father was in the true sense a gentle man, often unassuming, quite yet strong, he gave me the most wonderful gift, his time.
    I once asked him if he ever worried about us, he said no, always knew we would come good, so I said he did a good job, his answer, just a wry smile, miss him.
    He reminds me of someone I love overseas .. Goodness of heart and a subtle , gentle way about them , with a smile.

Time -- greatest gift a parent can give their child.

Nowadays people so harried , busy ; try to compensate for lack of time spent together , with gifts that become meaningless in a

very short while. A kid would prefer a parent's undivided nurturing attention.

You are fortunate to have had such a good Dad xx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Vitruvian (15-06-14)

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post

Being a typical bloke I never tell him enough how much I love him and how much he means to me. Thankfully on fathers day I have an excuse!

This sentimentality is in part due to the fact that I realize that I will not have him forever, and that his years are limited.

Priceless xx

Cherish every moment you have yet x

Thank you for posting , Morph , I can feel the affection you have for him , in your words .

Happy Father's Day , ye boys

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Morpheus (15-06-14)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post

My dad was my hero. He wore his heart on his sleeve.

Father's Day, like Mother's Day and Valentine' Day, are crass, commercial creations. We don't need a special day for loved ones!

Show your love every day is what he taught me. That's what I teach my kids and every day, without fail, I tell them - and I show them - that I love them and that I hope will be my legacy.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bluefan1 For This Useful Post:

Deven (15-06-14), Morpheus (15-06-14), Stephanie (15-06-14), Vitruvian (15-06-14)

Quote Originally Posted by Empirical View Post
    My father died when I was quite young, when I didn't know any better. I suppose I idolised him then, but I've come to see that he had feet of clay; not his fault perhaps, his own upbringing was probably responsible.
    If he was present, he was emotionally absent, emotions were things for other people. He saw me as the essential necessity to continue the family line; but my sister, who's a few years younger, was a luxury. It wasn't until years after his death that I realised how cruel he had been to my mother; not physically, but emotionally, and more neglect than anything active.

In a way, he was absent for much of my life, though it wasn't all bad. He did teach me some useful things.But he never, never once, played football with me.

Being a father isn't easy when you didn't have a decent role model. I think I've been reasonably successful with the eldest, but it goes downhill from there.
    That's probably even worse than not being there atall

A person being physically present but not emotionally , a complete nullification of the person they're with.

How awful for a child (for anyone !) to seemingly not be deemed worthy of attention. Damaging.

Glad you were able to recognize his behavior for what it was , later in your life. That's the first step in healing xx

"But he never, never once, played football with me. " -- time spent together , what memories are made of !!

I'm sorry you didn't get that xx

I'd have some war stories as well , but I've spent a good part of my life trying to not think about them .. :

Mom died young , Dad not able for raising two girls on his own ..

But it makes us stronger , more self reliant !

: If lucky , you come out ready to conquer the world , because the tough bit is behind you

^
    Last edited by Stephanie; 15-06-14 at 10:55.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Empirical (15-06-14)

Reviews

My dad is a great man, always worked hard for the family, always helped me out when i was stuck. But I just do not have a connection with him, When i was younger i felt that he was strict and never had any time for me. Never took an interest in anything i did. It was kind of like all work and no play with him.

If i ever have kids i will encourage them in the things they are passionate about(like sport)and not just about getting grads and working hard.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paul_m For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (15-06-14), Deven (15-06-14), Stephanie (15-06-14)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234