Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeremy Clarkson

Blog Entries

Question Jeremy Clarkson

So... Jeremy Clarkson stupidly decides to use a racist chant to pick between two vehicles. It sounds like he is trying to miss out the most offensive bit, although to be fair, the whole chant is pretty offensive, but was it a sacking offense?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...on-use-3481201

Now... I remember my Grandad teaching me this chant and it is one that used to be used in the School playground. I remember the words, even though I don't use them any more. When I was a child, I didn't really know what the term 'Ni***' meant and didn't really question it.

However, when I grew up it was something that I chose not to teach my child, because I didn't feel it was appropriate and new versions had been created.

As an adult, even though it may have been part of his childhood, should he have not even gone there, mumbling out the 'N' word or not? Or, is it not so bad, as long as people realise it's from the past and not how people think today?

Is this complacent racism or just thoughtlessness?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

clarelad (09-05-14), jamieboyo (09-05-14), Jiberjabber (09-05-14), rob_tig (09-05-14)

Reviews

hiya kate, its just Jeremy being Jeremy, we know what is is like by now, i don't agree with him but do like him as a presenter though

4. The Following User Says Thank You to namesjack For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (09-05-14)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    So... Jeremy Clarkson stupidly decides to use a racist chant to pick between two vehicles. It sounds like he is trying to miss out the most offensive bit, although to be fair, the whole chant is pretty offensive, but was it a sacking offense?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...on-use-3481201

Now... I remember my Grandad teaching me this chant and it is one that used to be used in the School playground. I remember the words, even though I don't use them any more. When I was a child, I didn't really know what the term 'Ni***' meant and didn't really question it.

However, when I grew up it was something that I chose not to teach my child, because I didn't feel it was appropriate and new versions had been created.

As an adult, even though it may have been part of his childhood, should he have not even gone there, mumbling out the 'N' word or not? Or, is it not so bad, as long as people realise it's from the past and not how people think today?

Is this complacent racism or just thoughtlessness?

I don't think he meant any offence by using that word.

However, that's not to say that it was ok to do so!

I remember been taught this when younger as well, and recently heard a group of kids in the locality use it as part of one of their games, so it is still used......

I suppose really while it shouldn't be used at all, it's probably better to look at the context under which it has been used, so I didn't bat an eyelid when I heard the local kids use it, but felt horrified(for him) when I heard Jeremy used it on TV. God help me, I'm one of those people that actually likes Jeremy Clarkson....
    Last edited by jamieboyo; 09-05-14 at 20:47.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamieboyo For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (09-05-14), Jiberjabber (09-05-14)

Reviews

I had to look at the article to see what the chant was, we used piggy instead. This is the first I heard of it this way, it kinda feels weird now saying it knowing what it actually was. As for Jeremy he has courted controversy over the years and its working for him, I dont think it was careless but I also dont think it was malicious either, or maybe I am giving him too much credit for been media savvy.
    Last edited by Deven; 09-05-14 at 20:53.
    The beauty of the internet is that there is always a 'close' button.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deven For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (09-05-14), Jiberjabber (09-05-14)

9. Default

Clarkson's problem is that he has previous and he's already very unpopular with a lot of people.

This particular one was very minor. Stupid thing to do but he was clearly trying to censor out the offensive part, thus he recognises that it's inappropriate and wasn't trying to cause offense. He's apologised for it which is enough; unless of course you think he should have been sacked for the things he's said before now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jamieboyo View Post
    I don't think he meant any offence by using that word.

However, that's not to say that it was ok to do so!

I remember been taught this when younger as well, and recently heard a group of kids in the locality use it as part of one of their games, so it is still used......

I suppose really while it shouldn't be used at all, it's probably better to look at the context under which it has been used, so I didn't bat an eyelid when I heard the local kids use it, but felt horrified(for him) when I heard Jeremy used it on TV. God help me, I'm one of those people that actually likes Jeremy Clarkson....
    That's really what I meant by the word 'complacent'. It doesn't really mean anything to him, but there are people that may have been bullied around that chant when they were younger and to them it could be rather painful. It's like the things that are said here about notices on the B&B's in England with 'No blacks, No dogs and No Irish'. It might not be something you would see today, but it still makes you feel angry and I don't blame anyone for feeling that way, as it was awful.

Maybe he should have more respect for other people's feelings?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

jamieboyo (09-05-14)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by quietandunderstated View Post
    Clarkson's problem is that he has previous and he's already very unpopular with a lot of people.

This particular one was very minor. Stupid thing to do but he was clearly trying to censor out the offensive part, thus he recognises that it's inappropriate and wasn't trying to cause offense. He's apologised for it which is enough; unless of course you think he should have been sacked for the things he's said before now.
    'If it squeals let it go' isn't offensive when referring to a human?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

jamieboyo (09-05-14), Jiberjabber (09-05-14)

Reviews

Its typically Clarkson, he sometimes doesn't think before he says or does something. He shouldn't have used but I remember being taught it as a kid, we didn't know better then on how it would hurt peoples feelings.

Weirdly I like Clarkson and I think it was a spur of the moment thing without thinking of the consequences.
    Last edited by rob_tig; 09-05-14 at 21:09.
    Love slowly unwraping a sexily dressed lady.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rob_tig For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (09-05-14)

16. Default

Black people as the most racist people,i know they where treated as slaves in the past but it is them that cant move on and appreciate that times are different now and mostly I feel are treated the same as white people by most,however it pisses me off that they can call each other "nigger" and do openly worldwide but yet a white person is lambasted for merely thinking the word..
    I think they should move with the times and not be so loose with the word "NIGGER" THEMSELVES.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    That's really what I meant by the word 'complacent'. It doesn't really mean anything to him, but there are people that may have been bullied around that chant when they were younger and to them it could be rather painful. It's like the things that are said here about notices on the B&B's in England with 'No blacks, No dogs and No Irish'. It might not be something you would see today, but it still makes you feel angry and I don't blame anyone for feeling that way, as it was awful.

Maybe he should have more respect for other people's feelings?
    Off course he should have more respect for others people feelings.

Sometimes people don't think that way though.

I know the people who taught me this verse, and they are probably the least racist people I know. This was just a silly verse used in games when they were kids, and they never taught it could be offensive to anyone....maybe Jeremy is of a similar mind frame to these folks!!!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jamieboyo For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (10-05-14)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast