Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Table Manners and Etiquette

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Curious k View Post
    That's doesn't signal you're finished. It says you've not finished. Just saying
    haha no way she told me to do that when im finished lol , honestly dont know was just taking her word for it lol

learn something new everyday lol

Quote Originally Posted by BumLover1 View Post
    When my mum and auntie where young they used to bring a bottle of vodka in there handbag to nightclubs to afford drink prices

I find that females are excellent when it comes to money and learned from the best. My Grandmother would bake everything, the bread for breakfast etc.
    Females like that are very rare. IMO. My girl spends a fortune on crap!

Quote Originally Posted by Yamser View Post
    haha no way she told me to do that when im finished lol , honestly dont know was just taking her word for it lol

learn something new everyday lol
    I'm actually unsure myself at this stage. Many on here seem to be of different opinion. I was pretty certain the knife and fork must be crossed to indicate that you've finished.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by rob_tig View Post
    Ever think of taking the plates as well, just saying.
    I would have thought this is a matter of course!!!!! get it????

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    Do people still exercise the time old practice of putting the knife and fork together at 6 O'clock or is this a thing of the past and I'm the odd one out?

What do you do with your knife and fork when you have finished your meal, while dining out?
    If you're dining with friends in a domestic setting, knife and form together at 6 o'clock indicates you would like another portion. Placing the handles at 4 o'clock with the blade and prongs at 10 o'clock indicates that you have had enough.

In a restaurant setting, the 6 o'clock position means you consider the portion too small, or may be under cooked, or has some other deficiency in your opinion. The 4 o'clock/8 o'clock setting again indicates your satisfaction with what you have eaten.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EIFII For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (07-04-14), ryder (08-04-14)

Reviews

This evening I decided I would go down to the hotel bar for some dinner. It was quite enjoyable and I was very hungry, as I had not eaten much during the day and had a very busy afternoon/evening, so began to eat with gusto and realised that I was going too fast, so put my knife and fork down and began to read a book in order to pace myself.

While I was reading I had my knife and fork at angles on the plate. To me this indicates that I have not yet finished eating and I did think this was a universal code. However, while I was pausing between mouthfuls I was asked if I had finished, so the waitress could clear my table. It was not particularly busy, so they did not need my table, although it was coming towards the end of their serving time.

Of course I said I had not finished and continued to peck at what was left of my food, while enjoying my glass of wine and absorbing the contents of my book, but I began to wonder if the mistake was due to the Waitresses lack of knowledge or the consumers lack of etiquette at the bar?

Do people still exercise the time old practice of putting the knife and fork together at 6 O'clock or is this a thing of the past and I'm the odd one out?

What do you do with your knife and fork when you have finished your meal, while dining out?
    Miss Kate.
    you are dead right in what you did. the knife and fork should be put together in the midel of the plate when you are finshed side by side not crosed.

but i dont blame the wating staff as table maners are realy a thing of the passed it has been changing for years ever sence we got TV dinners.

most famleys dont eat at the table together any more but sit watching the TV eating their food. eating from thier laps with no thought of table manners as they dont even have a table.

only a few weeks ago i was at a wedding and had to tell people what fork and knife to use for their starters and main corse as they asked as they realy did not know and did not want to look silly. i had to came then down when the wating staff took thier knives so be replaced with fish knives or stake knives.

it realy is a lots art table manners.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to name is buck For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (07-04-14)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EIFII View Post
    If you're dining with friends in a domestic setting, knife and form together at 6 o'clock indicates you would like another portion. Placing the handles at 4 o'clock with the blade and prongs at 10 o'clock indicates that you have had enough.

In a restaurant setting, the 6 o'clock position means you consider the portion too small, or may be under cooked, or has some other deficiency in your opinion. The 4 o'clock/8 o'clock setting again indicates your satisfaction with what you have eaten.

In that case on this occasion it was correct, as I felt putting the battered cod on the mushy peas was a mistake, as it gave the batter a soggy bottom and I lost that lovely crispy crunch of the batter that I enjoy. No one likes soggy batter do they?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by name is buck View Post
    Miss Kate.
    you are dead right in what you did. the knife and fork should be put together in the midel of the plate when you are finshed side by side not crosed.

but i dont blame the wating staff as table maners are realy a thing of the passed it has been changing for years ever sence we got TV dinners.

most famleys dont eat at the table together any more but sit watching the TV eating their food. eating from thier laps with no thought of table manners as they dont even have a table.

only a few weeks ago i was at a wedding and had to tell people what fork and knife to use for their starters and main corse as they asked as they realy did not know and did not want to look silly. i had to came then down when the wating staff took thier knives so be replaced with fish knives or stake knives.

it realy is a lots art table manners.
    I like fish knives, I like the shape. They didn't give me a fish knife. I don't think the bar was posh enough for that, although I would have expected a steak knife, had I gone for that option.

Reviews

well i just eat and munch away at my leisure and am only finished when there is nothing left on my plate, thats when they know i'm finished

12. The Following User Says Thank You to leroy For This Useful Post:

Mr Cuddles (08-04-14)

Reviews

In that case on this occasion it was correct, as I felt putting the battered cod on the mushy peas was a mistake, as it gave the batter a soggy bottom and I lost that lovely crispy crunch of the batter that I enjoy. No one likes soggy batter do they?
    or a soggy bottom for that matter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast