Thread: 'Sherlock' Season Three - what did you think?

Default 'Sherlock' Season Three - what did you think?

Who caught last night's return of Sherlock on BBC? What did you think of it?

Warning: spoilers ahead

I was quite disappointed. The first two seasons were amazing, gripping, and just... fantastic. The Empty Hearse simply didn't live up to my expectations of Sherlock's return. I enjoyed the fact that they included different theories on how he did it, but it felt a bit too heroic for me. He isn't your conventional hero, running into fires and defusing bombs to save the day. He's awkward and doesn't really get other people. That's why we love him - he's intelligent but completely clueless. His reveal to John (and the punches that followed) was boring for me and not in character. I think he'd be more likely to go and visit John at work, simply walking into his office and announcing there was a new case to solve and that John should follow him. The ruined engagement and cafés afterwards felt forced.

It did have some classic lines in it...

Mycroft: He's moved on with his life.
    Sherlock: What life? I've been away.

John: I don't shave for Sherlock Holmes.
    Mary: You should get that on a t-shirt.

(Many people have already taken to the internet and made them... some examples here).

...but it still didn't feel like Sherlock. There was something missing, and I hope they can put it back in with the next episode.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lara Mills For This Useful Post:

jizrag (02-01-14)

Reviews

Didnt get a chance yet, avoiding spoilers, will post tomorrow, its finally back
    The beauty of the internet is that there is always a 'close' button.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Deven For This Useful Post:

Lara Mills (02-01-14)

Reviews

I thought the storyline other than Sherlocks return was very thin on the ground. Personally I felt the whole episode was laying grounds for what was to come but it could have given us a bit more, I won't go into spoilers but there are a few loose ends intentionally left there which could have been explored in a little more detail.
    Last edited by anon361; 02-01-14 at 12:25.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anon361 For This Useful Post:

Deven (04-01-14), Lara Mills (02-01-14)

Reviews

I like it as an epsiode but it was not fitting as a return from the last season, this and the hound of baskvilles were my least favorite epsiodes but I am hoping the next two will be more 'sherlocky'

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Deven For This Useful Post:

Lara Mills (06-01-14)

Reviews

well Episode 2 was such a difference from the first. Funny, smart, chaoitic, the socially awkward that Lara Mentioned, while at the same time had a great plot and excellent writing. Back to excellent form I thought.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jizrag For This Useful Post:

anon361 (05-01-14), Deven (06-01-14)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by jizrag View Post
    well Episode 2 was such a difference from the first. Funny, smart, chaoitic, the socially awkward that Lara Mentioned, while at the same time had a great plot and excellent writing. Back to excellent form I thought.
    Great going to watch it now..
    Last edited by anon361; 05-01-14 at 22:09.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by jizrag View Post
    +1 From lows to highs, last nights episode is tied with The Reichenbach Fall for me, A+.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Deven View Post
    +1 From lows to highs, last nights episode is tied with The Reichenbach Fall for me, A+.
    Sadly it been a bit like a roller coaster and as good as episode two was episode three was a big let down to me. Highlight for spoiler The only redeeming part of this episode was the reveal that Moriarty is back, although I really did expect that at the start of the season, well maybe hoped was a better word

Also Yasmine Akram is