Thread: 'Metal Gear Solid V' Character Design is 'Disgusting'

Default 'Metal Gear Solid V' Character Design is 'Disgusting'

Metal Gear Solid V Character Design Is 'Disgusting'

A Halo designer spoke out against female character design in MGS V.

Quote Originally Posted by IGN
    In a string of recent tweets, a designer at Halo developer 343 Studios called the design of a prominent female character in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain "disgusting."

"Our industry should know better than this," David Ellis, designer at 343 said. "...Industry full of man babies."

Ellis' complaints were in response to an image of a specific character called Quiet, a sniper character revealed at E3 who will play a prominent role in The Phantom Pain. This reveal followed a series of tweets by Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima, in which he said that he encouraged art director Yoji Shinkawa to make characters appear more "erotic."

Kojima has since contextualized his comments, saying "erotic" wasn't the right word, and that he meant more along the lines of "sexy." Check out the image in question below. Do you agree? Is Quiet's revealing design too much?

Source: click here

What do you think to the design of this character in particular?

Honestly, I'm a bit shocked. I can understand them wanting to get "sexy", but this just seems to miss the mark. More clothes than this can be sexy, right?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lara Mills For This Useful Post:

earlyriser (17-09-13)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lara View Post

Honestly, I'm a bit shocked. I can understand them wanting to get "sexy", but this just seems to miss the mark. More clothes than this can be sexy, right?
    yes it can be sexy my dear more clothes can be sexy , but its a game , a load of nerds in a room working on basicly a women of there dreams , yes i understand your annoyed that she is skantily claded but you could also give out to movie producers or anyone else , you see what mylie cyrus was wearing last week ?

the game is a fantasy my dear and the majority of players are men so therefore need a sexy lady

it could be worse it could be her in bikini but that wouldnt suit the character

Quote Originally Posted by Yamser View Post
    yes it can be sexy my dear more clothes can be sexy , but its a game , a load of nerds in a room working on basicly a women of there dreams , yes i understand your annoyed that she is skantily claded but you could also give out to movie producers or anyone else , you see what mylie cyrus was wearing last week ?

the game is a fantasy my dear and the majority of players are men so therefore need a sexy lady

it could be worse it could be her in bikini but that wouldnt suit the character
    Wearing underwear and the like CAN be sexy, in the right context. Miley Cyrus on stage? No. This woman in a game, considering she walks around with a gun? No.

Lara Croft looks good in the new game:

And Miranda from Mass Effect looks good too:

I know it is fantasy, but still... it frustrates me! They can make a sexy lady with more clothes and have a hidden easter egg where she had less clothes, so that people are more inclined to explore.

That's what I'd do, anywho.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lara View Post

What worries me most is the lack of support that tiny string bra must give.
    What if "It's Raining Men" and 'Let the bodies hit the floor' are both about the same event but from different perspectives 🤔

I'm not a big fan of realism in games. If I want to experience the 'real' world I'll just turn off my computer and do real world things. I think the very first Tomb Raider got it just about right with the amount of clothing for Lara Croft. Based on what I see here I would have no interest in playing MSG at all.
    Last edited by Half Man and Half Dildo; 13-09-13 at 21:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    What worries me most is the lack of support that tiny string bra must give.
    That's what I was thinking... doing a roll in the middle of battle and the enemy get an eye-full... though that's probably a good distraction tactic

Quote Originally Posted by Half Man and Half Dildo View Post
    I'm not a big fan of realism in games. If I want to experience the 'real' world I'll just turn off my computer and do real world things. I think the very first Tomb Raider got it just about right with the amount of clothing for Lara Croft. Based on what I see here I would have no interest in playing MSG at all.
    I don't mind a bit of realism in games, but she is going to pop out of that and die with the first shot that hits her. Just a bit more... something!