Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pussy Riot

Reviews

Smile Pussy Riot

The Russian Punk Band Pussy Riot were up in court yesterday and may face three years in prison?

Are these ladies innocent or did they commit a crime! It's your call!

They can rock my house any day! Not guilty

Reviews

would it be too obvious if I said I thought this was a thread about, sex workers and something related to the slut walk maybe?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by funlover12 View Post
    would it be too obvious if I said I thought this was a thread about, sex workers and something related to the slut walk maybe?
    Absolutely not! My point is, they are three young ladies having fun and should not face prosecution... Freedom of speech!

Its disgusting what's happenin to them, great band also, should check em out!

Reviews

'Pussy Riot' members convicted of hooliganism, jailed for two years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19297373

Three members of Russian punk band Pussy Riot have been jailed for two years after staging an anti-Vladimir Putin protest in a Moscow cathedral.

Judge Marina Syrova convicted the women of hooliganism motivated by religious hatred, saying they had "crudely undermined social order".

The women say the protest, in February, was directed at the Russian Orthodox Church leader's support for Mr Putin.

The closely watched trial has inflamed opinion both at home and abroad.

Prosecutors had been seeking a three-year jail sentence for the women.

Judge Syrova said Maria Alyokhina, 24, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, 22, and Yekaterina Samutsevich, 29, had offended the feelings of Orthodox believers and shown a "complete lack of respect".

"Tolokonnikova, Alyokhina and Samutsevich committed hooliganism - in other words, a grave violation of public order," she said.

The judge quoted prosecution witnesses as saying the act had been one of blasphemy, not politics.

Worldwide protests

Along with other members of their band, the women staged a flashmob-style performance of their song close to the altar in the cathedral on 21 February.

Their brief, obscenity-laced performance, which implored the Virgin Mary to "throw Putin out", enraged the Orthodox Church - its leader Patriarch Kirill said it amounted to blasphemy.

Mr Putin was elected for a second term as president two weeks later.

Alyokhina, Tolokonnikova and Samutsevich, watching Friday's proceedings from inside a glass-walled cage in the courtroom, smiled as the widely predicted verdict was delivered.

The BBC's Daniel Sandford, in Moscow, says the defendants were all handcuffed in the dock, whereas on other days the handcuffs had been removed.

On Thursday, Tolokonnikova had said she was "not bitter about being in jail". But, speaking through her lawyer on Twitter, she said: "Politically, I am furious."

"Our imprisonment serves as a clear and unambiguous sign that freedom is being taken away from the entire country," she said.

The women have been detained for the past five months.

Their defence lawyer said before the hearing that they were hoping for an acquittal, "but they are ready to continue to fight".
    Pussy Riot supporter outside court in Moscow A number of Pussy Riot supporters were detained outside the court in Moscow

Large crowds of supporters gathered outside the court in Moscow, including prominent opposition leader Alexei Navalny.

Associated Press news agency said a number of protesters had been arrested, including ex-world chess champion Garry Kasparov and opposition politician Sergei Udaltsov.

There were also pro-Pussy Riot protests in Paris, where demonstrators in Igor Stravinsky square chanted "Freedom", and in Kiev, where women protesters sawed down a wooden cross in a central square.

Other shows of support took place in Belgrade, Berlin, Sofia, London, Dublin and Barcelona.

The band have also had vocal support from artists including Paul McCartney and Madonna, and from politicians.

Critics of the band have also been demonstrating, saying the stunt was an insult to the Russian Orthodox Church.

One, Igor Kim, told the BBC News website from Moscow: "Shouting and screaming and spreading hate in Church is unacceptable and is contrary with Christian ethics."

One protester outside court in Moscow simply shouted: "Let Pussy Riot and all their supporters burn in hell."
    Justice prevails.
    Last edited by Banjaxed; 17-08-12 at 14:37.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Absolutely not! My point is, they are three young ladies having fun and should not face prosecution... Freedom of speech!
    Freedom of speech only exists in countries that are "free" in the first place not run by criminal organizations which in turn are run by or running the politicians

Political prisoners however is not really a topic alien to anyone that has lived on this Island for the last 40 years.

Reviews

Communism never died, comrades, it just changed coats

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mousey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey View Post
    Communism never died, comrades, it just changed coats
    They became internet savvy, obviously

10. Default

I am gutted for the girls, Russia seems that has never been free country, and honestly russian parlament Duma, has no power, so then what about the courts eh? Sadly I quite expected them to be jailed, Putin would never show the oposition and haters any sort of weaknes. But also either way, he is now facing quite a bit of rough time , in utopistic world I would naively hoping that it could lead to numbers of demonstrations, and hopefully lead to the (if not to some sort of democracy) at least to restrict some of the Putins power..... but sadly as I said propably that is utopia I am sad for the girls and for Russia, everyone deserves freedom

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sexylaura For This Useful Post:

mellors (17-08-12), nanky1 (22-08-12), Stephanie (17-08-12)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Firstly im not religious but i dont think the venue they chose to voice their opinion was acceptable. It was being totally
    disrespectful to peoples beliefs whether u may agree with them or not. If a similar statment was made from the altar of
    a Cathedral in a Western Country it would still not be acceptable. They had plenty of forums to do this even outside the
    Cathedral. The facts are they were looking for exposure and to shock so they really must have exceeded their wildest
    expectations. They should be truly delighted with their success and if they are the visionarys and martyrs that they
    puport to be sur now they have 2 years to plan their next move.
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast