Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Irish People cheering on Team GB.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
    I would have no trouble cheering for a Scottish team, A Welsh team, An English team etc, the very notion of GB is an amalgamation of countries that is a remnant of a long gone empire. The resonances from that are difficult to ignore. I have no problem with any British athlete winning, but the notion that GB the greater sum of all its parts is something that I find slightly oppressive, as it subsumes the individual nationalities into one that is largely English superiority. Sorry if this sounds offensive but that is my honest feelings. Well done to each of the athletes, and to all the athletes for reaching this standard.
    Beautifully put. The term Great Britain, the Union Jack, has a history, not just in Ireland, but worldwide of tyranny, oppression, etc

They are ostracising Welsh, Scottish, that don't consider themselves British, but their respective nationality, from competing, that's why Gareth Bale, a proud Welshman, didn't participate.

Did you hear about the uproar? Giggs, Bellamy and another Welsh player wouldn't sing "God Save The Queen" for "personal reasons" and they got horrible stick for it.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteNoob For This Useful Post:

doodlebug (03-08-12), Sweet Disposition (02-08-12), very shy guy (03-08-12)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteNoob View Post
    Beautifully put. The term Great Britain, the Union Jack, has a history, not just in Ireland, but worldwide of tyranny, oppression, etc

They are ostracising Welsh, Scottish, that don't consider themselves British, but their respective nationality, from competing, that's why Gareth Bale, a proud Welshman, didn't participate.

Did you hear about the uproar? Giggs, Bellamy and another Welsh player wouldn't sing "God Save The Queen" for "personal reasons" and they got horrible stick for it.
    Have you ever heard Giggs or Bellamy sing AB,they can't,lol,mind you I wish robbie keane would also refrain from sing as well and leave it to when he is having a bath.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by toya View Post
    lol your funny
    Sadly Toya most women laugh at me,,lol.

Reviews

To be fair, most Irish people have absolutely no problem with any 'British' athlete - the problem is with BBC's ridiculously biased hype and coverage of same.

Have never met a single English, Scottish or Welsh person who described themselves as British btw ...

C'mon Katie!!!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hd7055 For This Useful Post:

doodlebug (03-08-12), Sweet Disposition (03-08-12), very shy guy (03-08-12)

7. Default

Looking foward to the boxing at the weekend , hope Katie does it .

Reviews

The Irish athletes are getting a great reception from the host country, so I have no problem supporting the GB team, now I woudl not be jumping up and down cheering them on but if they win fair and square well done to them,

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RodeoMan For This Useful Post:

Sweet Disposition (03-08-12)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Have no problem with the British. They cheer for us. Did you not hear the cheer that went up when the Irish team walked out at Olympic opening cermoney? That's endorsement enough for me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ChunkyJoe For This Useful Post:

Sweet Disposition (03-08-12)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyJoe View Post
    Have no problem with the British. They cheer for us. Did you not hear the cheer that went up when the Irish team walked out at Olympic opening cermoney? That's endorsement enough for me.
    It was a great cheer indeed and the BBC commentator (scottish) made a very good comment, when she said that Irish fans are welcome all over the world. My inability to cheer on team GB is not based on racism per se or even revenge for the 1000 years of colonialism but on the notion that GB is some sort of equal union of all the participant countries, it is not it is an English inspired and fuelled amalgamation.

In fairness to the London Olympics, if it hadn't been for Seb Coe the Olympic flame would never have crossed the border etc, and that is a great gesture.

As to the reception the athletes got, my only adverse comment would be that is is in marked contrast to the reception our President got from Martin Johnson!!! In that same vein remember the first game at Croke Park where the Irish fans respected God Save the Queen to the point of raising the hairs on the back of my neck. A good reception and respect should be normal and not necessarily noteworthy.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doodlebug For This Useful Post:

ChunkyJoe (03-08-12), Sweet Disposition (03-08-12)

Blog Entries

This might sound really simplistic, but I cheer on the people I relate with and since we live in similar Countries (at least weather and languagewise) I feel very close to Ireland and would much rather you guys do well than someone from say China. I also prefer to back the underdog and since we both live in small Countries, I think that also puts us in a position of having to work harder to achieve the same goals, as there are less people to be born with that natural ability.

Your triumph is my triumph and I would hope visa versa.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

doodlebug (03-08-12), Sweet Disposition (03-08-12)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    This might sound really simplistic, but I cheer on the people I relate with and since we live in similar Countries (at least weather and languagewise) I feel very close to Ireland and would much rather you guys do well than someone from say China. I also prefer to back the underdog and since we both live in small Countries, I think that also puts us in a position of having to work harder to achieve the same goals, as there are less people to be born with that natural ability.

Your triumph is my triumph and I would hope visa versa.
    Beautifully put Kate, and in reality sporting achievement is not based upon where you were born but individual ability, I salute all professionals sports people who train hard and compete hard to get to the top, regardless of their race, language or colour.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast