Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UK nantional faceing death penalty in the UAE

Default UK nantional faceing death penalty in the UAE

A British man is facing the death penalty in the United Arab Emirates, the Foreign Office has confirmed.

A local news report claimed the unnamed Briton is a 21-year-old.

He was sentenced in Abu Dhabi alongside a 19-year-old Syrian man for selling an undercover police officer 20g of cannabis worth 1,500 UAE Dirhams (£262).

The Foreign Office was unable to confirm the details of the case, but a spokesman confirmed that it had been contacted.

He said: "I can confirm that a British national is facing death penalty in the UAE.

"We remain in close contact with the British national and his legal team and continue to provide consular assistance."

UAE newspaper the National reported that the man's mother collapsed outside the court after the sentence was passed.

It said a Sudanese co-defendant was jailed for a year for taking cannabis, while a 17-year-old Emirati was ordered to undergo rehabilitation.

http://news.sky.com/story/952691/dru...penalty-in-uae
    Last edited by Doozer; 27-06-12 at 08:23.

Reviews

what a bad joke! this wouldn't even raise a custodial sentence here.
    i've not travelled around these parts of the world because they are so unreasonable.

Reviews

I have no sympathy for any of the people involved in this type of thing, I have never visited any of these countrys but I know they have some very strict laws involving drugs, drink and sex and if I was to visit you can be damn sure that I would not break any of there rules. Why is it every few months another case pops up of a western visitor who has decided they dont have to follow the same rules as the rest of us or decided that they will take a risk in the hope of a big payday and then crying to the press and government when they get caught.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by blue8671 View Post
    I have no sympathy for any of the people involved in this type of thing, I have never visited any of these countrys but I know they have some very strict laws involving drugs, drink and sex and if I was to visit you can be damn sure that I would not break any of there rules. Why is it every few months another case pops up of a western visitor who has decided they dont have to follow the same rules as the rest of us or decided that they will take a risk in the hope of a big payday and then crying to the press and government when they get caught.
    they want to end him, mate?
    Last edited by warmcome; 27-06-12 at 09:17.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to warmcome For This Useful Post:

EnglishAlex (27-06-12)

Respect the law of the land. Don't wanna do the time (or death sentence), don't do the crime..

Good program on NatGeo (Discovery?) : Banged up Abroad.

Very few people end up in these situations unwittingly. For those I have much sympathy, and they need all the help they can get.

The ones who think that they are going to make a quick profit -- or have been making a profit and finally get caught --

ah, you should have thought about it..
    Last edited by Stephanie; 27-06-12 at 09:31.
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

experiencedguy (27-06-12), mexicanmagic (27-06-12)

Quote Originally Posted by warmcome View Post
    what a bad joke! this wouldn't even raise a custodial sentence here.
    i've not travelled around these parts of the world because they are so unreasonable.
    They locked a British DJ up for having a joint in his bag. I think he got three years or something. Liberal, not.
    If life gives you lemons ask for Tequila

Only sad bastards seek gratification from signatures

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Respect the law of the land. Don't wanna do the time (or death sentence), don't do the crime..

Very few people end up in these situations unwittingly. For those I have much sympathy, and they need all the help they can get.

The ones who think that they are going to make a quick profit -- or have been making a profit and finally get caught --

tough love, Stephanie.
    i would be concerned at the disparity between here and there,
    perhaps UAE need to think about it?
    Last edited by warmcome; 27-06-12 at 09:44.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lucy chambers View Post
    They locked a British DJ up for having a joint in his bag. I think he got three years or something. Liberal, not.
    hi Lucy!

UAE or Ireland and when?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post

All actions have consequences. Maybe they measured the risk of getting caught a little differently to someone with another opinion of the facts. The arrogance of 'I wont get caught' often skews rational thinking.

Anyway I wouldn't agree with someone being sentenced to any kind of death for something like this though (although rape/murder are different imo)
    He felt her hands slide slowly up his thigh, he couldn't stop himself from growing hard. She caught his eye and in that second he knew: This erotic, sensual Lady is bold if she is anything. She would be upto mischief in no time...
    Some things never change

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EnglishAlex For This Useful Post:

Lucy Chambers (27-06-12), mer (27-06-12), Stephanie (27-06-12)

Quote Originally Posted by warmcome View Post
    hi Lucy!

UAE or Ireland and when?
    UAE. Sorry, I should linkee

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/feb/20/news.radio

And this one is just plain wrong

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/exp...our-years.html

But we are talking about the Emirates. Hardly enlightened when it comes to Human Rights and the administration of justice.
    If life gives you lemons ask for Tequila

Only sad bastards seek gratification from signatures

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lucy Chambers For This Useful Post:

EnglishAlex (27-06-12), Sexy Samantha British (27-06-12), warmcome (27-06-12)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast