Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grocery stores in Ireland(for desert lovers)

Exclamation Grocery stores in Ireland(for desert lovers)

So I just noticed that dunnes is doing the millionaires desert. I got 2 as its like 2 eu cheaper than M&S and it was bloody disgusting! I had to force myself to finish it! I think we can safely say, that it is a reallly nice desert, if you buy it in M&S, that is but the one from dunnes is a disgrace. And still at 1.89 a pop its not that cheap.

What is a great investment though is the frozen meringue roulade from lidls. You can have it with caramel bits or rapsberiies. It costs only 4.99 and you can get 4 really large portions out of it. They do the same in M&S for some 2e more however in this instance I dont deem it worthy the extra money as the one from lidls is quite special. I think everyone should have one in their freezer at anytime.

Resume: dunnes stores is shite as far as deserts are concerned. From now on I will boycott them and so should you dear readers as making profit from selling such low standard deserts is simply unaccepatble in my book. We need to unite for better standards and sweeter life.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anna23 For This Useful Post:

mickeyman (17-04-12), Morpheus (15-04-12), very shy guy (15-04-12)

I see I posted in the wrong forum... No desert lovers here Do you people do grocery shopping at all?

Blog Entries

I think there is a big game on. It's likely to be quiet for the next few hours. Enjoy the peace and quiet lol. Lidl are under rated for the quality of the merchandice. It's always worth trying what they have to offer.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

Uisce Beatha (15-04-12)

Quote Originally Posted by CurvaceousKate View Post
    I think there is a big game on. It's likely to be quiet for the next few hours. Enjoy the peace and quiet lol. Lidl are under rated for the quality of the merchandice. It's always worth trying what they have to offer.
    Oh, yes, the sports... I find it really annoying when the man in house whatches sports. I hated it since my dad used to watch it and never could get over it. Same with news. Any other ladies feel the same about this or is it just me?

Lidl is really great actually. I've been buying this pizza, its called alfredo or something like that. They do double pack large pizzas with allsorts of meat on it for less than 4 e and the taste is comparable if not better than ristorante pizza. Really good value.
    Last edited by Anna23; 15-04-12 at 14:23.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anna23 For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (15-04-12), mickeyman (17-04-12), Uisce Beatha (15-04-12)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anna23 View Post
    Oh, yes, the sports... I find it really annoying when the man in house whatches sports. I hated it since my dad used to watch it and never could get over it. Same with news. Any other ladies feel the same about this or is it just me?

Lidl is really great actually. I've been buying this pizza, its called alfredo or something like that. They do double pack large pizzas with allsorts of meat on it for less than 4 e and the taste is comparable if not better than ristorante pizza. Really good value.
    Lidl often get awards for the quality of their own brand foods, especially mince pies and chistmas puds, their face creams are meant to be very good as well I believe.

Yes I feel the same about sports, mostly due to not having a male influence in my life when growing up. We just didn't watch it. Although my granddad watched the horses and WWF, so I did that sometimes. I quite liked the horses, as we would put penny bets on them and he provided the penny

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

Uisce Beatha (15-04-12)

Reviews

Lidl and Aldi are fantastic for the bulk of my weekly shop - top quality staples (pasta, rice, canned goods etc.) and good quality fruit & veg, dairy, frozen goods and booze.

Lidl have a fabulous vanilla ice cream, navy tub, made with real vanilla and delicious. It is divine when topped with lightly toasted almond flakes, a dash of maple syrup and dark chocolate shavings (I use the peeler to do this).

Alternatively, buy a puff pastry sheet in Aldi, cut into rectangles (2 inches x 4 inches), brush with egg wash and bake in moderate oven (180) until risen and lightly golden brown. Allow to cool, gently cut each pastry in half horizontally so you have a base and a lid. Spread some whipped Chantilly cream (I just add a dash of vanilla extract and some icing sugar to fresh cream) on the base, top with slices of fresh strawberry, replace the lid on top. Dust with icing sugar and devour with a cup of good coffee.
    Last edited by Uisce Beatha; 15-04-12 at 14:46. Reason: Spelling

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uisce Beatha For This Useful Post:

Anna23 (15-04-12), Curvaceous Kate (15-04-12)

Quote Originally Posted by Uisce Beatha View Post
    Lidl and Aldi are fantastic for the bulk of my weekly shop - top quality staples (pasta, rice, canned goods etc.) and good quality fruit & veg, dairy, frozen goods and booze.

Lidl have a fabulous vanilla ice cream, navy tub, made with real vanilla and delicious. It is divine when topped with lightly toasted almond flakes, a dash of maple syrup and dark chocolate shavings (I use the peeler to do this).

Alternatively, buy a puff pastry sheet in Aldi, cut into rectangles (2 inches x 4 inches), brush with egg wash and bake in moderate oven (180) until risen and lightly golden brown. Allow to cool, gently cut each pastry in half horizontally so you have a base and a lid. Spread some whipped Chantilly cream (I just add a dash of vanilla extract and some icing sugar to fresh cream) on the base, top with slices of fresh strawberry, replace the lid on top. Dust with icing sugar and devour with a cup of good coffee.
    Nice contribution, Beata. Since my oven doesnt bake properly, I do alternatively pop into the bakery down the road, get the cake and enjoy with a cuppa while saving an hour of labour in the kitchen But fair play for making your own.

I like this thread. Much better than the footies and similar crap. Maybe us, ladies (and Beata) should try and change the forum into a more female friendly, by starting topics like baking, crocheting, grocery shopping etc. Oh, and gardening! I miss having a garden...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Anna23 For This Useful Post:

Uisce Beatha (15-04-12)

Reviews

Nice contribution, Beata. Since my oven doesnt bake properly, I do alternatively pop into the bakery down the road, get the cake and enjoy with a cuppa while saving an hour of labour in the kitchen But fair play for making your own.

I like this thread. Much better than the footies and similar crap. Maybe us, ladies (and Beata) should try and change the forum into a more female friendly, by starting topics like baking, crocheting, grocery shopping etc. Oh, and gardening! I miss having a garden...
    I love my footie Anna (often to my detriment!) but I equally love cookery and gardening!! (Not so hot on the crocheting ) I'm considering renting an allotment this year to grow more of my own food - what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Uisce Beatha View Post
    I love my footie Anna (often to my detriment!) but I equally love cookery and gardening!! (Not so hot on the crocheting ) I'm considering renting an allotment this year to grow more of my own food - what do you think?
    I think thats the way to go! Everyone should grow their own and have a few chickens for fresh eggs.
    You gave me an idea there. Maybe I could strike a deal with my future husband - an hour of heavy duty gardening in exchange for an hour of footie on tv. Although not sure, what is in there for me.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Anna23 For This Useful Post:

Uisce Beatha (15-04-12)

Reviews

So I just noticed that dunnes is doing the millionaires desert. I got 2 as its like 2 eu cheaper than M&S and it was bloody disgusting! I had to force myself to finish it! I think we can safely say, that it is a reallly nice desert, if you buy it in M&S, that is but the one from dunnes is a disgrace. And still at 1.89 a pop its not that cheap.

What is a great investment though is the frozen meringue roulade from lidls. You can have it with caramel bits or rapsberiies. It costs only 4.99 and you can get 4 really large portions out of it. They do the same in M&S for some 2e more however in this instance I dont deem it worthy the extra money as the one from lidls is quite special. I think everyone should have one in their freezer at anytime.

Resume: dunnes stores is shite as far as deserts are concerned. From now on I will boycott them and so should you dear readers as making profit from selling such low standard deserts is simply unaccepatble in my book. We need to unite for better standards and sweeter life.
    Did you ever try the millionaires desert/tart from Tesco? Costs about 7euro gorgeous with whipped cream but very high in fat and calories. But worth it an odd time

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast