Thread: Ferdinand Porsche R.I.P.

Reviews

Default Ferdinand Porsche R.I.P.

The designer of the iconic 911 has gone on to his eternal reward.

I'm not really much of a car enthusiast, but if there's just one car that always turns my head it's the 911. In university, me and a friend if mine pledged together that we would each own one by the time we reached a certain birthday. Neither of us actually met the challenge, but it's one of those nostalgic thoughts that's been with me for years. It's a timeless design, and there aren't many of them. It takes a real genius to knock one out.

So farewell Ferdinand Porsche. And thanks for your piece of history that you leave here with us.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Banjo For This Useful Post:

Banjaxed (06-04-12), Big-Paul (07-04-12), Morpheus (07-04-12), windmill39 (07-04-12)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo View Post

I'm not really much of a car enthusiast, but if there's just one car that always turns my head it's the 911. In university, me and a friend if mine pledged together that we would each own one by the time we reached a certain birthday. Neither of us actually met the challenge, but it's one of those nostalgic thoughts that's been with me for years. It's a timeless design, and there aren't many of them. It takes a real genius to knock one out.

So farewell Ferdinand Porsche. And thanks for your piece of history that you leave here with us.
    The 911 is my Lotto car.

I think that Ferdinand also had a hand in designing the original Beatle and the Tiger tank!

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo View Post

A true classic design Banjo! They should never change it. (See what's happend to Jaguar since changing the classic XJ model!)

Hats off to Ferdinand Porsche. His legacy will live on.

"Don't be reckless with other people’s hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours"

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Morpheus For This Useful Post:

BACMAN36 (07-04-12), Banjo (07-04-12), windmill39 (07-04-12)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BACMAN36 View Post
    The 911 is my Lotto car.

I think that Ferdinand also had a hand in designing the original Beatle and the Tiger tank!
    He designed WW2 tanks? How old was this dude?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    He designed WW2 tanks? How old was this dude?
    He was 76 it was his gran father who designed the original beatle he died in 1951,

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Big-Paul For This Useful Post:

Banjo (07-04-12)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    A true classic design Banjo! They should never change it. (See what's happend to Jaguar since changing the classic XJ model!)

Oh my wow ... what a fantastic example of the car !

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Big-Paul View Post
    He was 76 it was his gran father who designed the original beatle he died in 1951,
    Yes his grandfather was also called Ferdinand, born in the late 18's. Grandad had a son called Ferry, and Ferry had a son called Ferdinand who was the 911 designer.

All three were engineers however there are echoes of Steve Jobs with the younger Ferdinand in that he saw himself as being more of an artist than an engineer. And similar to Jobes at Apple, Porsche designed something with a huge wow factor that everyone wanted. And still wants today.

Reviews

I have to admit, Porsches do just not do it for me. Compared to the likes of Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc, I think Porsches are kinda plain looking. Not that I can talk since I'll never be able to afford a single one of them but...

R.I.P Mr.Porsche.
    ladiesman217: April 2009 to April 2024

Goodbye

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post

Thanks for this Morph.......off to