Thread: Laser Eye Surgery

Default Laser Eye Surgery

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone here has ever got laser eye surgery. I had glass for years now and I just want to be ride of them as they really do annoy me at time.

Would love to hear of any experiences anyone has had with it

Thanks

Reviews

I had it done and would recommend it to anyone. I went to the consultation. It's just like a regular eye test you would get at your optician. The surgery was booked in for a week later. Everything is explained to you. You meet the surgeon the day before the procedure and he goes through it all with you. Your given a few options as to what to get done. I went for the top one as the recovery time is faster. It is expensive. Around 3000. When you see the ad for 200 an eye that's not true. That's just one thing. You need the rest. The procedure itself doesn't take that long. Something like 10-15 minutes. It's no worse than going to the dentist. I was prescribed a sedative and took it a few minutes before going in. They make you feel relaxed and talk you through each step. All you have to do is stay still and look where they tell you to. They put drops in your eyes so you don't really feel anything. Make sure you don't rub your eyes afterwards. For about 3 or 4 hours after your eyes can get stingy and watery. If you take a parecetomel it helps a lot. Apart from that few hours there's no problems. For a period afterwards you have to take eye drops to stop your eyes drying out. There are regular check ups afterwards to make sure everything is alright. The biggest problem is worrying before the procedure. From experience there's nothing to worry about and there's no chance you go blind! My eyesight now is like when I wore glasses and lenses.
    Last edited by thehighwayman; 25-03-12 at 15:42.
    Help Keyla in her fight with cancer. Every little helps.
    It could happen to any of us.
    https://gofund.me/8e340537

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thehighwayman For This Useful Post:

Miss Alisha (25-03-12), MrKinky (25-03-12)

Reviews

I had done about a year ago but not sure I'd recommend it to be honest.

Vision is fine (20:20) but eyes are dry and tire easily - as the day goes on vision tends to worsen.

Night vision is really poor and lights, etc. produce a halo effect. This makes driving at night a complete pain (especially on wet nights).

Am thinking of having a second surgery to see if these problems can be rectified (there is a lifetime guarantee so no additional cost involved).

As Highwayman said expect to pay around EUR 3,000 for the full 'bells and whistles' treatment and allow yourself a few days off work after the procedure.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hd7055 For This Useful Post:

emmasweet (25-03-12), MrKinky (25-03-12)

Reviews

You should go back to them as they will be ab;e to correct those problems for you.

One thing I forgot to mention you need to wear sun glasses for outside for the first week as the eyes are sensitive for a while. Also no swiimming and no physical excercise for a few weeks.
    Help Keyla in her fight with cancer. Every little helps.
    It could happen to any of us.
    https://gofund.me/8e340537

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thehighwayman For This Useful Post:

emmasweet (25-03-12), MrKinky (25-03-12)

Reviews

Got in done with Ultralase....... everything explained to a tee. procedure was a bit nerving on the day but not painful or anything.
    Maybe the only thing was the "smell of burning hair" when the laser was adjusting the eye!
    Cost about 2400 there in July where i got a taxback cheque from the government (Med1 form) of about 900 euro.

After op you're told you need to be careful with getting water in your eyes (ie bacterial infection) so no hair washing allowed
    Plus you will be taking eyedrops to help with healing + wearing shades for few days

No problems since op - sight is 20-20 with no side effects (and any problems i may have in the future are covered by initial payment as they guarantee lifetime quality)

Happy puppy since then but experience can vary with different people (different laser types are recommended for different levels of eyesight or type of typical eye problems)

Least go check it out........ill cost you nothing
    Genuine Panda Bear Punter - Eats Shoots & Leaves

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BJ99 For This Useful Post:

MrKinky (25-03-12)

Blog Entries

Your age is also a consideration. I was told that it is better to get it done in your 20s/30s than later, as you will naturally need reading glasses as you get older anyway, so you get more from it by having it done when you are younger. Also avoid getting it done if you are thinking of getting pregnant lol, as your sight can change after pregnancy.

I had mine done with opitimax (I don't know if you have them over there?) It cost me around 2 grand about 12 years ago for both eyes. I had a consultation with the surgeon who explained the procedure to me and gave me his crudentials and a website where I could find out his history. He told me that he had had 2 failures and both were due to the patience not telling him of medication they were taking.

I didn't have anything before the op, but they did put something in my eyes so I would not feel any pain. I was told to keep my eyes fixed on the light and basically the better I stayed still the more likely it will work well. With the first eye, I lost the light for a second, which was scary, but I was much more careful with the second. I can't remember what I had over my eyes when I left, but I do recall reading out all the registration numbers on the cars as they drove by and getting excited.

I also took drops in my eyes for some weeks afterwards and protected my eyes when I was asleep as that was when I was mostly likely to damage the retena. I don't recall wearing sunglasses or not being able to wash my hair, but it was some time ago. I was told my vision was 21/21, which I didn't know was possible.

My tear ducts did not work correctly before the op and contacts used to make my eyes feel very dry and I could not keep them in more than a few hours, so in comparison they are much better. I don't think the procedure made my eyes drier. Yes I do get a little night blurring, especally if I'm tired and this has increased a little as time has gone by, but I still feel I can see well enough to drive.

Would I recommend it? With every fibre in my body, yes! It's like a miracle.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

MrKinky (25-03-12)

Reviews

Interesting thread. I've been thinking of it myself as well, as I hate glasses and especially when driving.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Banjaxed For This Useful Post:

MrKinky (25-03-12)

Reviews

I had it done about 7 years ago and its brilliant. I was in my early 40s. Would recommend to anyone immediately. I now need reading glasses but the surgeon told me that at the outset.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogman For This Useful Post:

MrKinky (25-03-12)

Thanks very much for the advice. I think i'm going to give them a call during the week and try and arrange an appointment for the consultation. I'm a little nervous about the though of lossing my eye sight, but chances of that happening are slim..........I hope.

Thanks again

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MrKinky For This Useful Post:

Miss Alisha (25-03-12)