View Poll Results: Death penalty

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 45.00%
  • No

22 55.00%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Ireland re introduce the death penalty?

Reviews

Don't think it should be brought back. What if you get it wrong, as other poster have said remember the Birmingham Six etc. Another country I know but very similar legal system.

I believe that in the US it costs more to execute someone than keep them locked up. This is because of the amount of appeals that they go through before they are finally executed.

I do believe that life should be more than 7 years and without all he fancy meals, gym facilities etc.

There is a sheriff somewhere in the states, Arizona possibly, who has the right idea. His jail is a tent city with barbed wire. He boasts that he spends more feeding the guard dogs than the inmates - why? because the guard dogs are contributing something, the inmates aren't. Some liberal bleeding hearts pointed out to him that the inmates had a legal right to cable TV Not to be outsmarted he had the Disney channel installed

My kinda guy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BACMAN36 For This Useful Post:

ladiesman217 (08-03-12)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BACMAN36 View Post
    There is a sheriff somewhere in the states, Arizona possibly, who has the right idea. His jail is a tent city with barbed wire. He boasts that he spends more feeding the guard dogs than the inmates - why? because the guard dogs are contributing something, the inmates aren't. Some liberal bleeding hearts pointed out to him that the inmates had a legal right to cable TV Not to be outsmarted he had the Disney channel installed
    Whoever this sheriff is, he should run for president!
    ladiesman217: April 2009 to April 2024

Goodbye

Traffickers, pimps and those who advertise or benefit financially from the enslavement and suffering of controlled women and children should swing from the end of a rope

To be honest, I never really understood what a prison sentence is good for. It is well proven that it doesn't lead to any improvement in the character of the offenders part. Not to mention the ridiculous expenditure of the taxpayers part.
    It basically serves only to keep the offenders out of sight for a while. Which mirrors nicely our society - if there is a problem, keep it away from sight.
    Dont' forget that the legal system is incredibly corrupted too. Especially in a small country like Ireland, where everybody knows everyone. Mostly those who end up in jail are the poor people who don't have anyone and foreigners.
    Besides, I will repeat myself here - irish prisons are a fucking joke. I dont know how this is supposed to be a punishment. They are even paid fuckin pocket money ffs.
    I'm for an alternative way of punishments, which I wont be going into here.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Not the death penalty but some sort of punishment to fit the crime. Murder and you're out in 12/13 years.

Reviews

There would be no need for death sentences if prisons here were proper prisons, no tv or luxuries, crap food and chain gang work schemes. Prison needs to be a deterent, not a holiday camp or training college for criminals, with life meaning life and no such thing as only serving half your time.
    There has to be a right to appeal as there has been many wrongly convicted people that would have died under death sentences.
    However, if some one admitted of their own free will and not by a coerced confession, then possibly use a death sentence in exceptional circumstances such as pedos, murderers, etc.
    Last edited by Derry lad; 08-03-12 at 23:58.

Reviews

No way should we reintroduce the death penalty. It is a mark of a civilised society that it does not operate at the same level as the killers. Apart from that, there is no court of appeal from death, and lets face it there are enough innocents in jail here to make the death penalty a huge injustice. Incidentally the last man sentenced to death in Ireland was completely innocent, he is now an ambassador for Amnesty International against the death penalty.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
    Incidentally the last man sentenced to death in Ireland was completely innocent, he is now an ambassador for Amnesty International against the death penalty.
    Interesting. What's the story there?

I didnt read the whole thread, but as i understand that no matter what the circumstances the death penalty can never be re introduced in this country, side note i voted to keep it!

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BACMAN36 View Post
    Interesting. What's the story there?
    He was accused of Killing a garda during a raid, a capital offence at the time. He pleaded his innocence, shortly before the sentence was to be carried out it was commuted to life imprisonment by the President, and as i understand it in those cases it is life in prison. However, and I am unclear exactly what happened, but it turns out new evidence shows he wasn't even at the scene and he was acquitted and released. He is an very gentle quiet spoken man and is married to a woman from the US who had a similar experience, they met through Amnesty international. They live is Roscommon or Mayo can't quite remember where.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast