Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we just a Nation of Whiners?

Default Are we just a Nation of Whiners?

Saw somebody posted a thread about the 'yoga hat' other day...if I remember correctly Urban Outfitters has a branch in Temple Bar..but I doubt they're flogging this shite in that store...but really, who's going to lose sleep over this?

Yet another retail chain gets a ton of free publicity..... why does anybody get worked up about crud like this?
    We are a nation of piss-artists! But the Irish broadly are well regarded here in the States...SMH

Last edited by Franken996; 01-03-12 at 15:58.

Reviews

As a non drinker, I had to practically fight with people when visiting the states, they would see me at the bar drinking coffee, hear the accent and the exchange went something like this.

Yank: Oh you are English?
    Me: No Irish
    Yank: So that's an Irish Coffee you're drinking (laughs)
    Me: No just a coffee
    Yank: Come on, who're trying to kid.
    Me: It's just a coffee
    Yank : yeah with whisky in it.

At this point the barman would interrupt and tell how he had been trying to ply me with drink for the past few hours to no avail.

Such is life.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to doodlebug For This Useful Post:

Franken996 (01-03-12)

Doodles- sure enough, I've experienced that but tbf, most americans are either indifferent or in some cases rather interested in a positive way in Irish culture ( & not just those of Irish descent), although over here we've a reputation for being booze hounds,we also are known for a strong work ethic & the nations literature, music, mythology & being a small friendly country that never invaded another nation!
    I know full well that the indignation with Urban Outfitters is prob 95% contained to Irish America & while I get that some people genuinely feel it's a 'racist slur'- given the broader global issues in this crazy world & compared to the real affronts that Hispanic/Asian Americans etc suffer daily over here, imho this is just plain old geebaggery by a few malcontents with f*ck all better to be whinging about!

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Franken996 View Post
    Doodles- sure enough, I've experienced that but tbf, most americans are either indifferent or in some cases rather interested in a positive way in Irish culture ( & not just those of Irish descent), although over here we've a reputation for being booze hounds,we also are known for a strong work ethic & the nations literature, music, mythology & being a small friendly country that never invaded another nation!
    I know full well that the indignation with Urban Outfitters is prob 95% contained to Irish America & while I get that some people genuinely feel it's a 'racist slur'- given the broader global issues in this crazy world & compared to the real affronts that Hispanic/Asian Americans etc suffer daily over here, imho this is just plain old geebaggery by a few malcontents with f*ck all better to be whinging about!
    Agree with you there, aren't we better being slagged as a nation of friendly drunks than being picketed as a colonizer, sure we have our own of colonizing, so subtle most nations don't realise its happening, LOL

6. The Following User Says Thank You to doodlebug For This Useful Post:

Franken996 (01-03-12)

Reviews

being a small friendly country that never invaded another nation!
    Did you know that Canada is the only country on Earth ever to have been subjected to an invasion by an Irish army?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mousey For This Useful Post:

Franken996 (01-03-12)

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey View Post
    Did you know that Canada is the only country on Earth ever to have been subjected to an invasion by an Irish army?
    Indeed- but a Fenian Brotherhood raid on a British Dominion aint exactly 'invasion' by the "Irish Army"!

Reviews

Indeed- but a Fenian Brotherhood raid on a British Dominion aint exactly 'invasion' by the "Irish Army"!
    It fuckin counts! Also, what's all this "we" business Frankie you big Yank!

It fuckin counts! Also, what's all this "we" business Frankie you big Yank!
    LOL- Maybe it does... & you know full well that despite having a US passport, I'm Irish born and raised & despite appearances spend more time in IRL than several other active contributors around here
    The Irish nation doesn't just reside on the island these days...

Reviews

LOL- Maybe it does... & you know full well that despite having a US passport, I'm Irish born and raised & despite appearances spend more time in IRL than several other active contributors around here
    The Irish nation doesn't just reside on the island these days...
    Tell me hoop!

Tell me hoop!

Only if you politely ask me bollix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast