Thread: Big Brother really is watching -- Irish tourist nabbed by US Government

Default Big Brother really is watching -- Irish tourist nabbed by US Government

This was on the wires last week- hadn't seen the Irish connection before..
    be careful what you say on Twitter

Big Brother really is watching -- Irish tourist nabbed by US Government due to algorithm

Computer program put Leigh Van Bryan on the “watch list” after Twitter alarm set off - VIDEO

Published Friday, February 3, 2012, 7:18 AM

The Department of Homeland Security has an automatic algorithm combing social media websites to pick out persons of interest

Irishman Leigh Van Bryan’s experience with the Department of Homeland Security was horrific. Last month he was put on the “watch list”, interrogated, incarcerated and made to pay for his own deportation all because of some slang he used on Twitter.

The Department of Homeland Security has an automatic algorithm combing social media websites to pick out persons of interest. In December, Van Bryan, who planned on going on vacation to LA with his friend Emily Bunting, tweeted “Free this week, for quick gossip/prep before I go and destroy America”. His use of the British slang “destroy” (“to party”) meant his tweets were monitored over the coming weeks.

Paul Quigley, founder of Newswhip.ie, explained in his column on Journal.ie, that the Department of Homeland Security would have picked the Irish tourist’s tweets, out of the daily 250 million posted everyday worldwide, using what is known as the “firehose”.
    -----------------
    Read more:
    Irish tourist deported and barred from US after 'destroy America' tweet
    Super Bowl fever is suddenly sexy all over Ireland again
    U2’s Bono set to become billionaire thanks to Facebook investment
    -----------------
    He explains that companies who are managing a brand such as Coca Cola, or even media groups such as NewsWhip, monitor social media networks and gather data using “sentiment analysis”. For example, a company like Coca Cola would monitor the Internet for phrases such as “I hate Coca Cola” or the words “Coke” and “disappoint”.

Quigley says that the DHS has something similar picking up on words such as “attack” or “destroy”. It seems that in Van Bryan’s case the DHS’s algorithm spotted the words “destroy” and “America” in close proximity and his account was put on the “watch list”.

Upon their arrival in LAX the pair were separated and interrogated. Van Bryan was then transported to a prison in a cage (where he had a panic attack). He was imprisoned overnight before he and his companion were made to pay for their own plane tickets back to the UK.

Free speech advocates worry that some human should have realized the mistake made by the DHS before these holiday makers were deported. They ask the question are the computers taking over?
    What do you think?

Earlier this year, Reuters reported that the DHS was officially monitoring dozens of popular websites such as Facebook, Twitter, Hulu, WikiLeaks, Huffington Post, and the Drudge Report, among others.

Since 2010, the DHS has been operating a “Social Networking / Media Capability” which involves monitoring of “publicly available online forums, blogs, public websites and message boards."

In the official government report they state that the purpose of this is to “collect information used in providing situational awareness and establishing a common operating picture.”

That fact that the DHS are using an algorithm to pick up on terms such as “destroy” and “America” makes sense, but it is the fact that Van Bryan and his companion ended up being interrogated, incarcerated, and deported without anyone using common sense and intervening which his worrying.

The DHS probably sees the story of Van Bryan and Bunting as a success, however, what does this mean for the future of social networking and travel. Do we have to carefully choose each word we use on Twitter and Facebook? Are jokes and slang to be banned? Where will that end?
    Here's Mashable's video on Bryan Van Leigh's experience:

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Franken996 For This Useful Post:

Morpheus (06-02-12)

Reviews

Free speech yadda joke blah slang deedoo.

Everybody knows how anal Yanks are about this sort of thing. Just don't say or write shite and you won't get in trouble.

Reviews

thing is the comment was picked up out of context. while he said 'destroy america' he didnt mean it literally
    see you next tuesday

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Franken996 View Post
    This was on the wires last week- hadn't seen the Irish connection before..
    be careful what you say on Twitter

Big Brother really is watching -- Irish tourist nabbed by US Government due to algorithm

Computer program put Leigh Van Bryan on the “watch list” after Twitter alarm set off - VIDEO

Published Friday, February 3, 2012, 7:18 AM

Damn!!!!!! I wonder, do they monitor E-I???

If so, I can expect to be picked up by the Homeland security boys the next time I set foot in the U.S. - for being a perv!!!

Then again so would the rest of you lot!!

On a more serious note - don't the Homeland security have more sense??? They seem a bit thick here? Clearly your man isn't talking about "destroying" the country! Even when you don't understand slang, you can always guess roughly what it means by the context.
    "Don't be reckless with other people’s hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours"

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post

Damn!!!!!! I wonder, do they monitor E-I???

If so, I can expect to be picked up by the Homeland security boys the next time I set foot in the U.S. - for being a perv!!!

Then again so would the rest of you lot!!

On a more serious note - don't the Homeland security have more sense??? They seem a bit thick here? Clearly your man isn't talking about "destroying" the country! Even when you don't understand slang, you can always guess roughly what it means by the context.
    You mastuwrbate a lot, don't you Swir? Don't lie to me! I'm a truth machine!

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Judy View Post
    You mastuwrbate a lot, don't you Swir? Don't lie to me! I'm a truth machine!
    Guilty your honour!!

But it's not my fault your honour! I blame this dating site. All the ladies are half naked in their profile pictures!! What is a guy to do!!!
    "Don't be reckless with other people’s hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours"

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Guilty your honour!!

But it's not my fault your honour! I blame this dating site. All the ladies are half naked in their profile pictures!! What is a guy to do!!!
    Well I admire your honesty Mworpheous. You should have some self control though, but it is to be expected from a hworny guy!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Judge Judy For This Useful Post:

Morpheus (06-02-12)

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey View Post
    Free speech yadda joke blah slang deedoo.

Everybody knows how anal Yanks are about this sort of thing. Just don't say or write shite and you won't get in trouble.
    I totally agree- the americans completely over-reacted etc but the relevant points are - the guy got deported ( & most likely wont be able to re-enter the States for 5 years etc), next time he goes to check into a plane going anywhere you can be assured he'll have a royal pain in his arse ( perhaps literally) ...

Given the implicit use of “sentiment analysis” it goes to show what's not just possible but is now happening..we all need to keep our IDs around here discrete