Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Obama a dissapointement

It's the sysyem. it doeesn't matter who is there, (except for Bush jnr an snr) who were fucking seriously dumb. ONE man cannot solve America. But a bad Democrat is far more beneficial than a great Republican.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Casanova007 For This Useful Post:

doodlebug (25-01-12), Franken996 (25-01-12), Morpheus (25-01-12), Nicole (26-01-12)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

If you expected him to work miracles, and some people did expect that, then he is a disappointment. I expected him to be better than Bush, and I've not been disappointed. The US constitution, when it's actually followed, limits what a president can do. It doesn't make much sense to blame him for the economy, for example. He doesn't set fiscal or monetary policy.

“I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”
    “All right,” said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to El Gordo For This Useful Post:

doodlebug (25-01-12), Franken996 (25-01-12)

The only thing I’m very disappointed in Obama not doing enough for is the Middle-East. I really did think he might have been the man to sort something out once and for all, I feel he really let everyone down regarding that especially the Palestinians, he’s made no effort whatsoever.
    "Live for nothing or die for something, your call."

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRambo View Post
    The only thing I’m very disappointed in Obama not doing enough for is the Middle-East. I really did think he might have been the man to sort something out once and for all, I feel he really let everyone down regarding that especially the Palestinians, he’s made no effort whatsoever.
    I'm disappointed too re the ME - but come on, be fair!! to claim he made no effort whatsoever simply isn't the case;
    Everybody was hoping he'd pull a Clinton/George Mitchell Good Friday rabbit out of the hat..but remember that venture had very broad bipartisan american support- everybody wanted to see it succeed over here..

the Israel/Palestine situation makes NI look like f*cking Disneyland in comparison- Obama has pushed harder than almost any US President to date- to the extent that the Israeli support groups in the US ( among the most powerful lobbying efforts in DC) accused him of anti-semitism! Obama is the first US President to openly call for a future Palestinian state based on the the 1967 borders ("two-state solution).

I doubt Obama will be able to turn water in wine any time soon either!
    Last edited by Franken996; 25-01-12 at 17:32.

I don’t agree man, all it needs is a President to have a set of balls and really stand up to the Israelies and tell them this is how its going to be, I thought it might have been him.
    "Live for nothing or die for something, your call."

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRambo View Post
    I don’t agree man, all it needs is a President to have a set of balls and really stand up to the Israelies and tell them this is how its going to be, I thought it might have been him.
    You're entitled to your opinion & as stated I share your disappointment, but here's the thing:

There are HUGE substantive issues that make the Israel/Palestine conflict so much more difficult to resolve ( esp compared to NI), viz:

• Almost every member of the US Congress/Senate GOP & Democrat threw their weight behind the Good Friday process, the same simply cannot be said for the Israel/Palestine project.
    • The vast majority of Irish/UK people wanted a negotiated end to the Troubles- this is not the case in Israel/Palestine, they're too busy trying to annihilate each other.
    • Between the US Evangelical christian loopers <who believe "the bible teaches that the Jews must possess their own country in the Holy Land before Jesus can return & make up about one-third of America's 50 million evangelical Christians, almost all of whom vote regularly> & the Israeli lobby, progress driven from the US in the ME will always have one hand tied behind it's back.

Try making progress in that context regardless of the size of your balls & let us know how you fare?
    Last edited by Franken996; 25-01-12 at 18:03.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Northern Ireland and the Israel/Palestine aren't really comparable. In the North almost everyone realised that negotiations were the only way forward and people on both sides were willing to make serious compromises to make those negotiations succeed. That's not the situation in the Middle East today. Maybe it will be someday, but not now. Peace would have come to the North with or without Clinton, and Obama couldn't have brought it to Israel/Palestine no matter what he tried.

“I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”
    “All right,” said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

Reviews

Obama is definitely better for the world at large, than any of the Repulican candidates IMHO.

Unfortunately (and understandably) Americans are going to judge a Presidents performance mainly on his internal policy rather than his foreign policy.

At the end of the day, I think the chalenge was too big with the huge economic downturn.

I do think he's done alright, but the Amrican people will be the judge of that.

For the sake of the rest of the world, I hope he gets re-elected.

Obama does talk a lot though. But at least he talks sense. Unlike his predecessor George Bush Junior! I cannot believe that Bush Junior got voted in two terms in a row???
    "Don't be reckless with other people’s hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Morpheus For This Useful Post:

JohnRambo (26-01-12)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    I cannot believe that Bush Junior got voted in two terms in a row???
    From what I remember, it's not so clear that he was.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to El Gordo For This Useful Post:

Morpheus (26-01-12)

Can I ask here who could have done a better job... the man took on other peoples mess.. he has tried hard.. rome was never built in a day nor a countries problems sorted in a few years.. I for one can never understand how 3 years running of a country by someone new can change what is needed.. often new ideas have to be battled out one side thinks yeah and the other one no.... then back to the drawing board so to speak.. then the one side who says no have a few who say yes but most say no then the vivicaous circle starts again.. but wow I know I could never run a country.. but glad to see so many as usual here think they can do better...x
    Last edited by DONEGALANGEL; 26-01-12 at 12:28.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast