Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Married but don't know it

Reviews

Default Married but don't know it

Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act 2010

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2010/...0001.html#sec1

UNMARRIED cohabiting couples may apply for maintenance, property, pension or inheritance rights if the relationship ends, under the above civil partnership laws.

Live with someone, even part time, for 2 years with children, or 5 years without children and you are effectively deemed married by the state.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eugen For This Useful Post:

Franken996 (20-01-12), mer (20-01-12), Morpheus (21-01-12), very shy guy (20-01-12), warmcome (20-01-12)

Reviews

in an increasingly secular society, it was inevitable that the state would
    recognise and legislate for the common law spouse.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by warmcome View Post
    in an increasingly secular society, it was inevitable that the state would
    recognise and legislate for the common law spouse.
    The loophole here is if she wants to move in give her a rent book and let her pay nominal rent so that she is ure tenant
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ber For This Useful Post:

warmcome (20-01-12)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Eugen View Post
    Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act 2010

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2010/...0001.html#sec1

UNMARRIED cohabiting couples may apply for maintenance, property, pension or inheritance rights if the relationship ends, under the above civil partnership laws.

Live with someone, even part time, for 2 years with children, or 5 years without children and you are effectively deemed married by the state.
    Frightening isn't it went through a load of that shit a few years back i wouldn't wish it on my own worst enemy
    I will play with the toys that god has given me .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fitzy For This Useful Post:

Morpheus (21-01-12)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post
    The loophole here is if she wants to move in give her a rent book and let her pay nominal rent so that she is ure tenant
    now, now Ber. he/she...))))

9. The Following User Says Thank You to warmcome For This Useful Post:

very shy guy (20-01-12)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post
    It doesn't always work out that way
    I will play with the toys that god has given me .

I have a Canadian buddy & the civil union thing comes through even faster up there;
    he lived with a girl for just over two years (no kids) & she took him for half when they broke-up... poor bastard even had to sell his Harley

I was goofing around with him & pointing out that (seeing as Same Sex Marriage is federally legal now in Canada & their Common-Law encompasses same sex couples...)..would that mean that if we were room-mates in Toronto for 2 yrs could I take half his assets when splitting-up if I claimed to be his "special-friend"

One of the few 'good' things about social conservatism in the States is that this type of arrangement is much more limited in it's scope: New York does not allow the creation of a “common law” marriage, although if you have kids your partner gets some rights etc.

Reviews

Personally I believe this law is wrong for the following reasons

It is an attack on marriage. If a married man has a girlfriend she gains rights to maintenance, property and inheritance. This money or property will come from the marriage assets. Marriage is constitutionally protected.

People who marry sign into a contract by choice. This law removes my right to choose.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eugen For This Useful Post:

Morpheus (21-01-12)

Quote Originally Posted by Eugen View Post
    Personally I believe this law is wrong for the following reasons

It is an attack on marriage. If a married man has a girlfriend she gains rights to maintenance, property and inheritance. This money or property will come from the marriage assets. Marriage is constitutionally protected.

People who marry sign into a contract by choice. This law removes my right to choose.
    Not if you're still legally married ( if Common Law 'equates' to marriage <in this setting>, what you're outlining is Bigamy - & you can be sure as shit that Irish Law doesn't permit that ;->). If you have children with a GF when you're still legally married, the mother of your kid(s) will get rights- but you should have thought of that before entering the arrangement.

Eugen- Please don't take this the wrong way- but isn't there something deeply ironic about a Punter waxing lyrical on the 'Sanctity of Marriage" !!?
    Last edited by Franken996; 20-01-12 at 22:16.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Franken996 For This Useful Post:

very shy guy (20-01-12)

Reviews

[QUOTE=Franken996;685039]I have a Canadian buddy & the civil union thing comes through even faster up there;
    he lived with a girl for just over two years (no kids) & she took him for half when they broke-up... poor bastard even had to sell his Harley
    [QUOTE]

I would ( and may have to ) sell my house before I'd sell my Harley - that's just spiteful, vindictive and petty.

Having said that the law is still a mess - know of co- habiting couples where one has died and the other entitled to a pension but capital acquisitions tax means no point!

Hd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast