Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wtf is it with all the disappeared today?

Reviews

Default Wtf is it with all the disappeared today?

This place is starting to take on the appearance of Argentina during the junta c. 1980, and no I'm not talking about Brothers Anon, Jimbop and Co. either. I'm talking about threads that get locked up and the key thrown away or those that disappear without a trace and are never seen again.

Now I was in the process of posting replies on at least three threads today, and these were not your "Congratulations", "Hello I'm f**king new here" or " Good Morning.....guess what, I had a hang sangwich for breakfast and today is Good f**king Friday" threads. They were interesting threads, where interesting debates were taking place between interesting people who had something interesting to say about the interesting subject matter. The kind of shit I basically like to get involved in.

Maybe it's my fault for being a damn slow typist, or the fact that I spend an eternity looking up the on-line dictionary or the on-line thesaurus and maybe another site or two for some background material and the odd photo or two and then proof read my contribution and correct any errors before I post it, as I like to do my research and not look like a complete wally. Then when I'm finally ready and hit the submit or send button, I invariably get a message back that I have selected an invalid thread. I'm not blind yet and I'm just about still compos mentis, so I know I aint imagining seeing stuff here, particularly as I had already contributed to some of those threads. So basically, being still compos mentis, I rationally deduct that between me starting to prepare my reply and actually trying to submit it, something untoward happened to the relevant thread.

Now back in the day, when a rather different group of people did the modding around here, threads still got locked down and in some cases even deleted, but in most cases this was after anything that infringed the rules was edited out, maybe a warning or moderator's comment was posted on the thread, and even an official warning or an infraction issued to the offending party. As a rule, threads did not just disappear willy nilly without any indication that people were causing problems or breaking the posting rules on those threads. Thread deletions came at the end of a process and most people had a fair idea of why threads were deleted.

You've lost four members today who had something of worth to say here.......keep this up and the only people who will be left are those who are happy to express their intellect on "Drop one, Keep One" and "The last one to post wins".

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to carlos marvado For This Useful Post:

ber (04-10-11), Christine (03-10-11), DaithiMac (04-10-11), dave1dave (04-10-11), doodlebug (03-10-11), El Gordo (04-10-11), Forrest (03-10-11), hd7055 (03-10-11), jayf1 (04-10-11), Lucy Chambers (03-10-11), max california (03-10-11), mellors (04-10-11), monster_monster (04-10-11), Nyna (03-10-11), Prickly (04-10-11), sexy lady (04-10-11), skywalker85 (03-10-11), sperminater (04-10-11), SR71 (03-10-11)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by carlos marvado View Post
    This place is starting to take on the appearance of Argentina during the junta c. 1980, and no I'm not talking about Brothers Anon, Jimbop and Co. either. I'm talking about threads that get locked up and the key thrown away or those that disappear without a trace and are never seen again.

Now I was in the process of posting replies on at least three threads today, and these were not your "Congratulations", "Hello I'm f**king new here" or " Good Morning.....guess what, I had a hang sangwich for breakfast and today is Good f**king Friday" threads. They were interesting threads, where interesting debates were taking place between interesting people who had something interesting to say about the interesting subject matter. The kind of shit I basically like to get involved in.

Maybe it's my fault for being a damn slow typist, or the fact that I spend an eternity looking up the on-line dictionary or the on-line thesaurus and maybe another site or two for some background material and the odd photo or two and then proof read my contribution and correct any errors before I post it, as I like to do my research and not look like a complete wally. Then when I'm finally ready and hit the submit or send button, I invariably get a message back that I have selected an invalid thread. I'm not blind yet and I'm just about still compos mentis, so I know I aint imagining seeing stuff here, particularly as I had already contributed to some of those threads. So basically, being still compos mentis, I rationally deduct that between me starting to prepare my reply and actually trying to submit it, something untoward happened to the relevant thread.

Now back in the day, when a rather different group of people did the modding around here, threads still got locked down and in some cases even deleted, but in most cases this was after anything that infringed the rules was edited out, maybe a warning or moderator's comment was posted on the thread, and even an official warning or an infraction issued to the offending party. As a rule, threads did not just disappear willy nilly without any indication that people were causing problems or breaking the posting rules on those threads. Thread deletions came at the end of a process and most people had a fair idea of why threads were deleted.

You've lost four members today who had something of worth to say here.......keep this up and the only people who will be left are those who are happy to express their intellect on "Drop one, Keep One" and "The last one to post wins".
    I have only been a member now 6 months and i have noticed people leaving.Is this the norm?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy2011 View Post
    I have only been a member now 6 months and i have noticed people leaving.Is this the norm?
    Back in the day, they used to have to be kicked off.........now they're volunteering to board the lifeboats.

Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy2011 View Post
    People always come and go.

Carlos, as for this comment:

Quote Originally Posted by carlos marvardo
    That's complete bollocks. The current mods always send the original posters a message as to why something was deleted (and in most cases, edited out) and I've personally done this with you several times.

Now I know Luther (God bless him) was one for being the peacemaker and was always consistent in informing people about things, but I know other previous moderators that weren't quite so forthcoming, nor gave any real rationale for removing/editing or even banning.
    Last edited by samlad; 03-10-11 at 22:02.

I have to agree. For example, there was a thread earlier that we both posted on, nothing objectionable that I could see yet the whole thread is gone, Not a post, a whole thread. I dont see the point in wasting my time typing so.

On the off chance this stays, and before we get the eulogy, can I just say I consider myself pretty patient, and mostly reasonable. It is a great shame to watch the site slowly slip into this odd 1984 stazi balls.
    Last edited by lucy chambers; 03-10-11 at 22:05.
    If life gives you lemons ask for Tequila

Only sad bastards seek gratification from signatures

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Lucy Chambers For This Useful Post:

carlos marvado (03-10-11), Christine (03-10-11), DaithiMac (04-10-11), Forrest (03-10-11), hd7055 (03-10-11), kelly90 (04-10-11), max california (03-10-11), monster_monster (04-10-11), Prickly (04-10-11)

Reviews

Back in the day, they used to have to be kicked off.........now they're volunteering to board the lifeboats.
    Well brother Carlos, we still have Alec, so all is not lost.
    Once a prick - always a prick.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by samlad View Post
    That's complete bollocks. The current mods always send the original posters a message as to why something was deleted (and in most cases, edited out) and I've personally done this with you several times.
    Quite true, on any occasion you've taken issue with something I posted, you send me a pm. In the case of the last thread that was disappeared, I received no pm, so I'm assuming I broke no stated rules or noboby has any issues with what I posted.......but the thread is still gone.

Now I can't have been any more than 20 to 30 minutes preparing my last contribution. It was a thread started recently by a newbie. His first post and he's out attacking Ruhama and the RCC......nothing wrong with that per se. There were quite a few contributors to the post, and some people took issue with him over some of the things he posted including Lucy, Heather and myself. It was all quite civil when I last saw the post and had developed into a good debate, yet for some reason unknown to myself and probably to others also, the possibility of continuing the debate has been denied to us for reasons as yet unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by lucy chambers View Post
    I have to agree. For example, there was a thread earlier that we both posted on, nothing objectionable that I could see yet the whole thread is gone, Not a post, a whole thread. I dont see the point in wasting my time typing so.

On the off chance this stays, and before we get the eulogy, can I just say I consider myself pretty patient, and mostly reasonable. It is a great shame to watch the site slowly slip into this odd 1984 stazi balls.
    Well, I hope our PM conversation cleared that one up?

The site isn't slipping... things seem to change like the seasons on here.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to samlad For This Useful Post:

Lucy Chambers (03-10-11)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by rover View Post
    Well brother Carlos, we still have Alec, so all is not lost.
    Been thinking but the above makes my mind up ...

Do I want to read that idiot's posts and good f***king morning threads - eh, no. Have fun folks, but time to bow out ...

Completely agree with you!
    Last edited by benin; 03-10-11 at 22:19.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SR71 For This Useful Post:

hd7055 (03-10-11)

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast