Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: off to pattaya for 2 weeks is 2k enough spending money

Hi Abby,

An Issan 'ceileidh' is when all they all go back to their home town in Issan usually around the festivals such as Songhram, Bhudda's Birthday, etc. The last one I was at was a local festival in a small town near Khon Kaen - they start with an early morning trip to the temple and then go round in a convoy of trucks and song thaws to visit all their relies and, as you know, they have lots of relatives! I love the esteem which younger Thais show to older people. It is an all day-all night affair with lots of good food and drinking ending with a big party - really great craic. Only down side is the awful Issan music

Issan people are rightly renowned for their hospitality and they could not be friendlier to farang interlopers. Overall, a very enjoyable experience and you meet some great people.

LBloom
    Last edited by LBloom; 10-09-11 at 20:28.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LBloom View Post
    Hi Abby,

An Issan 'ceileidh' is when all they all go back to their home town in Issan usually around the festivals such as Songhram, Bhudda's Birthday, etc. The last one I was at was a local festival in a small town near Khon Kaen - they start with an early morning trip to the temple and then go round in a convoy of trucks and song thaws to visit all their relies and, as you know, they have lots of relatives! I love the esteem which younger Thais show to older people. It is an all day-all night affair with lots of good food and drinking ending with a big party - really great craic. Only down side is the awful Issan music

Issan people are rightly renowned for their hospitality and they could not be friendlier to farang interlopers. Overall, a very enjoyable experience and you meet some great people.

LBloom
    thanks for the info songkran is great fun
    i will be there next year for it
    havent been to Issan but have met many girls from there x

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gooner View Post
    I'm off to Thailand in a few weeks myself to see the farm and check the house up north but before i go there i'll be in pattaya too - just another couple of points - 1000baht is about €25 now as the euro is shit at the moment - convert your euro's over there but not at the bureau de change on the streets as they're as bad as the banks!!

if you go up walking street, towards the harbour, there's a money exchange on the left hand side after the BIG HOLY tree - its just up from the HOT TUNA BAR which would be on your left if you walk up - the place is called YJ Pattaya Exchange - 112 walking st or they're also on the 2nd floor of Tops Centre - its a shopping centre off beach road and before soi 7.

they will give you a better exchange rate than any bank - its even better than here!!

just convert your money as you need too and don't walk out of the shop counting your baht - make sure its in your wallet and its in your FRONT pocket - don't put anything in your back pocket!

i'll be back later and give you a few more hints!
    farm an north tell us more intrested xx

Blog Entries

be extra careful if your travelling end of month as police are extra ruthless
    will stop you for no helmet on spot fine
    i was once walking down sukmavit which isnt the cleanest street a friend was smoking she dropped his ciggerette on the floor as there are no bins etc
    out from no where appeared 2 police officers frog marched her for about a mile to a little police box an demanded 10 k on spot fine she was just about to pay it
    untill i spoke with them an told her to say she had no money an i showed my purse with 1000 baht note an said thats all i ahad
    so they just TOOK THAT an let her go , 10 k is around 250 euro for dropping cig on dirtiest street in bangkok
    the police are not paid alot so make money other ways xx

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LBloom View Post
    Mr Pink,

One thing I forgot to mention, get a Thai sim card as soon as you get there (very cheap and you will get one in any 7-11). This is essential but you will need to get your mobile unblocked before you go. You can buy an inexpensive mobile there but better to have your own to keep all those numbers who will be ringing you when you get home

Cheers

LBloom
    you forgot about dont touch peoples heads an dont point your feet at people
    so no putting your feet on bar stools etc
    and its polite to remove shoes entering some shops etc xx

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mature abby For This Useful Post:

LBloom (13-09-11)

i had already mentioned about not touching their heads to mr pink - i presumne he's still there - he sent me a few PM's before he left so i'm sure he's enjoying it - although the rain has been the worst they've seen in 40years!! the crops on the farm are ruined and the new government are only offering 5k baht per rai for compensation - thats not a whole lot and some of the workers are not going to be happy campers - we usually pay them in rice and baht - a large sack of rice will feed a family for a month!
    i have someone over there looking after my interests - and have a house already but i'm looking to build a bigger one off the ground in case of floods etc - it takes a bit of time as there's a lot of timber involved and i have to source it properly and get the right builder as illegal tree cutting is rife and is punishable by 10 years in prison and a hefty fine!
    with regard to the thai police and their "illegal" on the spot fines - you can always insist on being taken to a police station and then requesting a tourist police officer be called to represent you in the station - littering is an offence, but not with a 10k fine and if you went and informed the police authorities of this illegal fine they would have these two clownes up on charges!
    tourists are a very important part of thailand's economy, bad reviews/reports of things like this are taken seriously when reported to the right people - thats why the tourist police force was set up in most big cities where tourists visit and they play an important part as a buffer between tourists and the thai police - the tourist police are made up of volunteers from around the world who live and reside legally in thailand and work with the thai police on a daily basis!
    i'm thinking of joining myself when i eventually retire and live there - hopefully, i'll have the house and farm in good sted up near the laos border and have an apartment in pattaya/jomtien area for a bit of R&R when required!
    i'm actually hoping to be in pattaya next year for songkran abbey - where are you going to stay?
    most places celebrate songkran for a day or two but pattaya celebrate it for the week - don't wear your good clothes!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gooner For This Useful Post:

LBloom (26-09-11)

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mrpink View Post
    the hotel is already paid for, do you think 2k is enough to have a good time
    Plenty of money, Thailand is cheap and fun.

10. Default

Ive been twice now, some place and very safe as long s you have cop on. Id feel safer walking around pattaya at night as oposed to Dublin ,cork or waterford thats for sure

is all the bars that have ladyboys are they tested regularly and safe one of the big worrys I have is catching something serious?????? This is my first trip so I hope it to be a memorable one with no regrets all this info is great on this thread thanks guys for ur posts. where are the must see places to go as im only ther for 15 days????
    dave dave

Quote Originally Posted by davidavid507 View Post
    is all the bars that have ladyboys are they tested regularly and safe one of the big worrys I have is catching something serious?????? This is my first trip so I hope it to be a memorable one with no regrets all this info is great on this thread thanks guys for ur posts. where are the must see places to go as im only ther for 15 days????
    This is a very good question.

First, my advice is never go with a streetwalker - there are quite a few LB streetwalkers on Sukumvit Road in Bangkok and Beach Road in Pattaya - most (but not all) have been fired from a LB bar. One reason for not going with a streetwalker is that there is no control over whether they get tested or not. (However, the main reason is that, if anything goes wrong (like you get robbed) you have absolutely no comeback. If you take a lady from a bar you can, at least, go back to the bar and talk to the mamasan who is like a floor manager and all bars have them.).

The bars will say that all their girls and LBs are tested regularly. However, there is always the latency period and a girl or LB can be tested the day before and still be a STD carrier. More importantly, TIT (This is Thailand) and all sorts of forged documents - including test certs - are readily available. So, even if the management of a bar insist that the girls/LBs carry out tests regularly (and I believe most do as it is not good for business if clients catch something serious from their girls/LBs) it is still not foolproof.

One idea (especially when you are new to the scene) is to talk with the mamasan. Buy her a drink and tell her your concerns - you will get the standard line 'all our ladyboys are tested' but you can ask her to suggest someone who is definitely clean. With luck, she will steer you away from LBs she has doubts about. On the other hand, she is more likely to steer you towards a 'friend' or someone has not had a barfine in a while (and you may not fancy) but, at least, you have made the effort. You do not have to follow her lead.

I suppose what I am saying is always play safe. Read up on the relative dangers of different activities. Obviously, bareback is highly dangerous so bring plenty of condoms!

Finally, do not go with a LB (or girl) when you are drunk. I have and afterwards had months of worry until I got the all-clear - it is not worth it!!

I am sure you will have a great time and be sure to come back and tell us how it went. I wish I was going back to Thialand for a fortnight!!
    Last edited by LBloom; 15-06-13 at 17:19.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12